Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Thursday, August 12, 2010:
SPECIAL GUEST: Author KT Grant!
I am beyond thrilled to have visiting the blog today my very special guest and friend - KT Grant - because she's someone I've known for quite sometime as a reader and a blogger, and I really admire her for her fearless opinions and endless quest for knowledge. She's not afraid to ask questions and talk about uncomfortable subjects to get a much needed dialogue doing. KT is smart and funny and I am so happy that in pursuing her dream, she's now become a published writer. I am SO proud of her! Let's give KT a warm welcome :)

KT Grant has generously offered me a copy of her release FOR THE LOVE OF MOLLIE, which though it kills me, I've decided I will offer up as a prize to one lucky winner. All you have to do is answer the question KT posted below. Winner will be selected at 7pm CST on Friday, August 27th.



Who Do You See As You Read?


Are you the type of reader who likes to place your favorite celebrities in the characters you read about? Many times a certain actor, actress or even singer will look like that specific character we're enjoying at the moment. As a reader, I've done this a few times, but now as an author, who writes her own characters, I have a pretty good idea of what they will look like in my head even before I start writing.

This became so clear as I wrote For the Love of Mollie. There are four main characters I had to give traits and personalities to, where I needed to write them in such a way where they became "real".

When I first saw this picture of Ryan Reynolds, I sighed. Yes, it was his abs that I couldn't stop looking at. But it's his facial expression, with that combination of sultry and, "I want to get to know you better" stare that screams Conner Bean to me. Since I have a die hard crush on Ryan Reynolds, and what I witnessed in the various movie roles he's played, that helped me come up with the character of Conner, the hero of For the Love of Mollie. Conner is an all around sweet guy with an incredible looking body. When I think of Ryan Reynolds, I see the same thing.

Mollie McGree was a bit tougher for me. She is a very curvy woman with a head full of dark, bouncy curls. Conner thinks she is the most beautiful woman he's ever seen. One gorgeous woman who I admire is Kate Winslet. She is an amazing actress who can do both drama and comedy so well and seems so full of life. When Mollie ponders about losing weight, I see Kate there wondering the same thing. When Mollie is giddy over Conner's interest in her, I see Kate giving Conner a shy smile because she has a man like him interested in her. To me, Kate Winslet is my ideal woman.

Juan-Carlos (JC) was pretty easy to envision from the start. For some reason I saw Mark Consuelos in the role. I used to be a big fan of Mark's on the soap opera, All My Children, and when he'd stop by on The Oprah Winfrey show on Fridays to help with the hosting duties. Mark is so adorable. I love that smile of his. JC makes a few short appearances in For the Love of Mollie, but I tried to make him stand out, especially since I'm in the middle of writing a sequel of sorts with him and his romance with Mollie's best friend, Suzy Bean.

Kirsten Picture: Suzy Bean, who's Conner's delightful cousin, is this outspoken smoker, who tells it like it is. Suzy is bigger in body type than Mollie, but embraces what she is and makes no excuse for it. She's thrilled that Mollie is having incredibly hot sex with her cousin. Suzy was also the hardest to visualize until I saw Kirsten Vangsness from the CBS show, Criminal Minds.

If you have ever watched Kristen on Criminal Minds, she comes across as smart, witty and a bit wacky. And because of that, I see her as Suzy, sans the glasses. Suzy is a blonde bombshell who enjoys men and sex. And she has had JC on her radar for a long time, but has kept her feelings for him a secret out of respect for Mollie, who also once had a crush on him. I hope to show a different side of Suzy in her book as JC tries his best to seduce her away from a mystery man.

My four main characters have come to life because of the actors and actresses who have made an impression on me.

So here I ask, which of your favorite celebrities have you envisioned as the characters you have read?

Bio: KT Grant is a self-proclaimed eccentric redhead who not only loves to read a wide variety of romances, but also loves writing it. Under her alter-ego, she is a well known book reviewer and blogger who doesn't shy away from voicing her opinion. A proud native of New Jersey, KT is multi-published and known for writing "out of the box" romances. KT has been quoted in such publications as the Romance Writers Associations’ Romance Writers Report and Night Owl Reviews. She has also been mentioned in the Guardian.UK, Publisher's Weekly's Beyond the Book and at Bookseller.com. You can visit her at http://ktgrant.com/ and at her personal blog at http://kbgbabbles.blogspot.com/




**You can also purchase a copy of KT's release. For the Love of Mollie will be in the Relay For Life ‘Read For a Cure’ feature for one month. During that month, all of the publisher's profits will be donated to the American Cancer Society**

Labels: ,

11 Comments

  1. Love the interview and the pics of how the characters were envisioned. Can't wait to pick this one up!


  2. Thanks again for having my Stacy :)


  3. The pictures of the characters are so perfect. Don't enter me in the drawing as I own For the Love of Mollie. It was super hot and I can't wait to read the next KT Grant book.


  4. I rarely picture celebs as characters in the books I read. I think because celebs are really pretty and polished and my heroes and heroines are always more earthy and real in my mind.


  5. I am huge fan of Criminal Minds and of Kirsten Picture. I've also had the good fortune of having "Suzy" friends in my life. In fact, my first "Suzy" friend's name was Susan. Despite a less than perfect life she was so courageous and full of life.

    And just yesterday my husband and I played the "who would star in your book" game. I highly encourage all would-be, aspiring and emerging authors to play it. I choose Julia Roberts to play the lead role in my thriller -- The Sweater Curse. However, as my husband pointed out, "She doesn't look Icelandic." After a short pause, he mentioned some stars who would fill the role very nicely.


  6. I don't picture characters as celebs. I don't watch movies and very seldom watch tv, so don't have anyone to picture as I read.


  7. So happy for you and look forward to seeing what else you have planned for stories. And I always picture famous people in the books I'm reading. Some of the men are...Ryan Reynolds--great minds think alike, Taylor Kitsch, David Beckham...for the women are Kristen Bell, Angelina Jolie. Although, in all honesty I'm not as religious about picturing the female characters. I guess any reason to think of hot men is a good reason.


  8. That was a great guest post!


  9. Lovely post KT! And may I say great photo of you!!

    All the best with the release!


  10. Great question! Now that I think about it, I don't really envision any of read characters as some celebrity. Characters are always quite special individuals to me...
    However Eve and Roarke are a special case to me. I've thought about them and have had very big difficulties in envisioning them. Still searching for those perfect candidates...


  11. I don't really picture celebrities when I am reading. It really depends on how good the author is at describing their appearance. Sometimes I don't really picture anything, others it's vague and some times it's completely clear. Really depends.


Post a Comment