Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Saturday, September 02, 2006:
A Heartfelt chat with new author Kelley Vitollo :)
It never ceases to amaze me how the internet has given me the chance to meet so many wonderful people, many of whom I call friends. We have fun, we share, we support each other, and most of us just love to read romances. I am so thankful for my on-line friends.
One of these people is someone I "met" through Lori Foster's group - Kelley Vitollo. The first thing I noticed about Kelley is her upbeat, positive attitude - that made me like her right away. And I am so thrilled that her first story, "Dream Man", is about to be published! September 8th is the release day!
So here is Kelley in her own words, sharing her journey to publication.....
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
So Kelley, tell us a little about yourself: family, hobbies/interests, pets, childhood:
Oh, this is so fun! Its amazing that people want to interview me. Well, I'm happily married to my very own romance hero. He is a loving, supportive, all around wonderful hubby. We have one little girl named Mckenzie. She is such a character. I still get amazed everytime I look at her. We just brought home two little kittens! Pepper and Daisy. They were brother and sister and we really didn't want to seperate them. So, for the first time since I was in highschool I have a pets. I'm loving it. They are a joy to be around. I love writing, reading, scrapbooking, watching movies, and spending time with my family. Some of my favorite times are when my hubby, daughter and myself just sit around talking, laughing and playing. There's nothing like it.

When did you seriously begin writing romances? How long would you say it took you to get published with Forbidden Publications?
I started writing seriously in Febuary of this year! I've always loved writing and had planned on writing childrens books. I tried and tried but I just couldn't make it work. I was seriously starting to think that writing wasn't what I was supposed to do. I felt like I had failed. Anyway, I started reading romances about two years ago and fell in love. It took me a while to be brave enough to sit down and try to write again but I finally did. I quicky discovered writing romances was my passion. I felt inspired in a way I can't explain. Creating characters and giving them a happy ending is an indescribable feeling.

My short story, "Dream Man", is the first piece of writing I ever submitted. I was scared to death! When I received that email with a contract attached I was on cloud nine. I ran into the livingroom crying and scaring my husband to death. Once he realized they were happy tears we celebrated!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I love that cover. So how would you describe your writing? Is it more sensual than sexy? Do you see yourself writing more erotic types of stories, similar to what you'd read from Ellora's Cave?
Hmm. I consider my romances passionate. The love scenes are sexy, but heartfelt. At this time, I don't plan on writing more erotic stories. But, only time will tell :)

Heartfelt - that's definitely a word that many people would associate with you, and not just because it's the name of your blog, either. What kinds of stories are you interested in writing? Where do you see yourself going from here?
I just want to tell my characters stories and tell them well. I want my stories to reflect real life. Of course there will always be a happy ending, but it will take some characters longer to get there then others. I like stories that are sweet and passionate, but can also make you laugh every now and again.

Eventually I'd like to write some interracial stories as well. I'm in an interracial marriage myself so I know that sometimes it isn't easy. But no matter who you fall in love with, when it's the real thing, its always worth it.

Exactly. I couldn't agree more. You and I had talked about that - I think it's an important part of life and believe there should be more stories out there about all kinds of relationships. I'm glad to hear you plan on writing them. So, now that you're about to be published, what steps have you taken in your career? Are you going to be attending booksignings and conventions?
Well, first of all I'm learning tons! There is so much more to being published then I realized. I've just joined RWA so I'm really excited about that. I want to take in as much of this experience as I can! I do have plans to attend some conventions next year.

Ah, so maybe I'll get to meet you in person - how cool! Your husband has been very supportive of your writing, even getting you a laptop. How does your family feel about your new career and the dedication it takes?
Most of my family couldn't be happier for me. My husband and my mom in particular realize how important this is to me. My mom has always loved writing too so I think this is extra special for her. My husband is so cute. He tells all his friends that HIS wife is about to be published! It feels good to be bragged about! And like you mentioned, be bought me a laptop because he knew how beneficial it would be. It did help him too though. Now we don't have to fight over who gets the computer at night! There are a few other people in my life who aren't as active with their support as my mom and my husband. I don't blame them at all. I just think writing is hard for some people to understand. Especially writing romances. They just don't know what they're missing!

Amen, sister! I think more people would benefit from reading romances. As you mentioned, you have an adorable little girl. McKenzie. What do you want her to learn about relationships and love? I'm sure you and your husband set a very good example for her by both being there for her and for each other.
I want my daughter to always know her worth. I never want her to settle. I want her to have the same kind of love my husband and I have. She needs to know that it won't always be easy, each person has to make sacrifices every now and again, but there should always be more good times then bad.

Beautiful words. I have no doubt she will learn that. So, what is your favorite part of writing? Do you listen to music, or have any little rituals that you follow?
I just love telling stories. I love giving life to the characters in my head. Some people listen to music when they write, but I write to the tune of a baby monitor! 99.9% of my writing is done when Mckenzie is napping or asleep for the night. That monitor along with the cute little noises she make while sleeping have become a comfort to me.

Oh, that's so sweet! She's a doll. Who have been some of the authors that have inspired you? Do you think you read differently now that you've started writing?
The two authors who have inspired me the most are Lucy Monroe and Lori Foster. Their books not only hold a special place on my keeper shelf but also a special place in my heart. They are both phenomenal writers, and wonderful ladies. I've had the chance to get to know each of them through the Internet both as a reader and as a writer. They are supportive and caring people. Each time I finish one of Lori or Lucy's books I feel good. Their stories gave me an escape when I had a hard day, friends when I felt lonely, or just a sweet, passionate story when my mood called for it. I decided if I could make one reader feel the way I do when I finish one of their books, I will have suceeded.

In some ways I read differently now that I write. I notice writing styles more, I pay attention to characters and their personalities more as well. I pay attention to how I relate to a character so when I'm writing it will help me consider how the reader might releate to my character.

You mentioned two of my favorite authors - I adore them. You all have a lot in common. Kelley, you are also a very positive person, someone who is always there to support others, and it's obviously come back to you. Who has been the support system you've needed when things get tough?
My husband is a major support system for me. Also the people I have met on the Internet. The people who visit my blog, and the people from the chat loops or message boards. The romance community is a very supportive community.
Yes, I love that. There are quite a few people out there who support each other. So what types of stories don't interest you as a writer? What won't we be seeing from Kelley Vitollo?
I don't really want to limit myself. My main goal is to stay true to my characters and their stories. I think you can count on me sticking with contemporarys. At least for a while. I don't see myself writing historicals in the near future. My heart lies with contemps!

Great attitude - don't limit yourself. And what will we be seeing from you? What's up next? Tell us about some of your future projects.
I'm working on a series of three novellas. I just finished the first story called "Getting Lucky With Luciano". I'm really proud of this book. The second one is called "Unexpected Mr. Right" and its very close to being finished. The third book is planned but thats as far as I've gotten. The series is about three best friends with vastly different personalities. Kaylee is the dependable, responsible one of the group. Hailey is the beauty queen who has been looking for love in all the wrong places. She has an image of who she "thinks" Mr. Right will be but she realizes that love comes when you least expect it. Brianna is the party girl. She is the free-spirit, blunt, I'm never going to fall in love type. I really can't wait to see how her story is going to unfold! All three of the books will have appearances of each of the girls. They meet for girl's night out every Friday night at a restaurant called Luciano's. It' at Luciano's that each girl will meet or re-connect with their true love. It doesn't go quite that smoothly in the books though :)

Oh, they sound fabulous! Thank you for spending some time with me and anwering my questions. Anything you'd like to add?
I really want to thank you for taking the time to interview me, Stacy. You have been very supportive to me and I appreciate that more then I can tell you! This has been really fun. I could get used to this whole interview thing :)
LOL. Anytime, Kelley. I can say "I remembered her when...."
** Stay tuned for an upcoming contest to win a download of Kelley's story! **

14 Comments

  1. Great interview Stacy and thanks Kelley for giving us a further glimpse into your world. Good luck on your further endeavours.

    Hugs,
    Cryna


  2. Great job Stacy and Kelley. Can't wait to read your stories. Kudos


  3. Thanks Stacy! Your the best. Its really cool to read an interview with me!

    Thanks to everyone else as well. I really appreciate all your support and I hope you like Dream Man when it comes out!


  4. I look forward to the book. The interview was awesome. Best of wishes to you Kelly! And great job Stacy.


  5. Thank you both, Stacy and Kelley, for your time. This is a wonderful interview!!


  6. Great interview Stacy and Kelley! I love learning more about authors.


  7. Thanx everyone, and Kelley, I hope you are enjoying the ride :)


  8. I am enjoying the ride! Its amazing.

    Thanks everyone for taking the time to learn a little more about me!


  9. That was a wonderful interview! I really enjoyed reading it and Kelley seems like such an awesome person! Great job! I love that cover too. ;-)


  10. Loved the interview. I'm excited to read Dream Man On September 8th.


  11. Thanks! You ladies are awsome! I'm getting more and more excited.


  12. Great interview. I bet that was really exciting! Sounds like you had lots of fun. I'll be counting down to September 8th.


  13. I just wanted to give another thanks to Stacy and everyone who took time from their busy days to read my interview. I hope you enjoyed it!


  14. I posted this at Sanctuary's Finest, but I'll post it here too. Great interview Kelley. And I cannot wait til Dream Man comes out! Very exciting!


Post a Comment