Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Saturday, October 18, 2008:
Please please please promise me...
...that if you ever see a dog by the side of the road you will stop to see that it's okay. Don't keep on going and just assume everything's fine. I am going to sound like a total crazy person here but I just had a pretty awful experience tonight and I really need to talk about it. God I'm still shaking. I was on my way home from the movies and about to make a left turn when I saw a small dog in the road, not quite on the street but way too close. I slowed my car, waiting for the dog to move out of the way but he didn't. It was very dark out and he was making me nervous being so close to the cars that I couldn't just let him stay there. Once I was out of the way of traffic I got out of my car and slowly approached the little mischievious darling only to notice he was bleeding. Oh my God my heart just about stopped. Someone had hit him.
I realized that he might feel threatened so as I got closer I held my hand out and started talking to him. He didn't react, and when I picked him up, he was shaking. From the streetlights I could tell he was a Yorkie and that his muzzle was covered in blood and both his eyes were also rimmed in blood. At this point I started shaking myself, so I brought him into my car and just held him for a few minutes, petting him. I found his tag and managed to dial the phone while holding him. No one answered. I dialed the second number. Same thing. I tried to see the address but his head kept lulling to the side, so as gently as I could I tried to manuveur so I could read it. I wasn't too sure of the residential streets but this one I'd heard of, I just couldn't remember where. So I turned my car around and started driving. Luckily it was only a few blocks away. I got to the door and a bunch of teenagers answered. When they saw the dog, the girls squealed and laughed, relieved to see him until I had to tell them that he was bleeding.
After wrapping him in a blanket they asked me what happened. I told them how I'd found him, and then they drove him off to the emergency vet. Instead of following them I slowly drove home and ended up bawling in the car all the way to the house. When I pulled into the driveway I called a friend and bawled all the way through our phone conversation because I was still so upset and scared. I haven't felt this awful in a long, long time. And I didn't go to the vet but now I wish I had as it's been a few hours and I still haven't heard anything. I know I'm not going to sleep tonight until I know he's okay. You have no idea how awful I felt when I got home and realized my clothes were covered in blood. It got me crying all over again.
So please, if ever, EVER, you see a dog or cat on the side of the road, don't let them stay there. Get help if you have to but don't just drive away and let someone else worry about it. We should all be looking out for the furbabies.
UPDATE: he's going to be okay! Oh thank You, God! He's staying overnight in the emergency room but he'll be just fine. You have no idea how utterly relieved I am right now. At this minute, everything is completely right with the world. Please would you give your beloved pet a big hug for me today, 'k?
Photobucket

10 Comments

  1. ((Hugs)) Stacy.

    Thank goodness I have never had an encounter like that. I'm so glad that the little dog is going to be fine! Is that a picture of him? He's a cutie.


  2. Thank God you stopped! I'm so glad he's going to be okay.

    How are you doing?


  3. Ok note to self stop reading stuff about dogs at work. (I'm totally crying). I am a dog lover and an owner of a small little toy, she's my baby. I can't IMAGINE someone not stopping to help. I always stop for animals or if I'm out in my apartment complex and see a loose dog I have to get my hands on them.

    Bless you for your kindness Stacy!!!! I'm sure the owners are greatly indebted to you!

    So glad the little critter is going to be alright!


  4. Amy it was definitely one of the toughest things I've ever experienced. This isn't him but he looks very, very similar. I just wanted to show how small and beautiful this little guy is.

    Dev, I'm still weepy right now, even though I know he's fine. This morning I couldn't sleep & went for a coffee run, and drove by the house since it's on the way to Dunkin Donuts. I can still picture his big brown eyes just looking up at me. Maybe he was in shock because he didn't move much and he never made a sound. Poor baby.

    Mollie, I know what you mean. I'm still crying a little too, even though I know there's a happy ending. I just knew that I couldn't not do something for him. I could have never forgiven myself. I am a huge dog lover and would rather see myself hurt than this little guy. Just broke my heart. He's okay though. He'll be home in no time. Thank God.


  5. I've grabbed strays who 'wandered by' the house and I tie them up until they can be fetched by an owner or the pound. Unless they turn nasty and I let them be. I hate seeing dogs wandering the streets. Poor little fellow was lucky you passed by. You got did a wonderful and lovely thing. Well done! So glad he's safe.


  6. (((Stacy))) I would have stopped, too. I have stopped for dogs who have obviously 'escaped' the safety of their home, but have fortunately not come across a pet who has been injured like that. What a relief that the little one is going to be okay. That is amazing. I'm sure the dog's owners are so incredibly thankful that you stopped for him.


  7. Oh hon! You are wonderful. That family is so lucky you saw their little guy and stopped. I'm sitting here looking at my dog thinking that if such a thing ever happens to him I hope someone like you is around. HUGS!!!


  8. Oh, gosh! I'm so glad he'll be ok, and how wonderful you are for stopping. I only hope if, god forid, something were to happen to our dog, we have someone as special as you stop, too.


  9. Stace - You are GOOD people! A lot of people wouldn't have stopped. Those people must be SO grateful to you. I'd be horrified if something happened to Roxie, who you know is tiny, so on behalf of all dog owners, THANK YOU!

    You did good, darlin'! There's a special place in heaven for folks like you.


  10. I'm so glad there is a happy ending!!! What a good thing you did!! I don't see animals like that on the side of the road but if I ever do - I will remember your story and how it all turned out and do something.


Post a Comment