Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Tuesday, October 14, 2008:
"Driven by Desire" by LuAnn McLane (2008)
Photobucket


Paperback: 320 pages
Publisher: NAL Trade (October 7, 2008)
ISBN-10: 045122504X
ISBN-13: 978-0451225047

Only one man could make her heart race… Daredevil stunts and dangerous accidents are par for the course in the world of motocross racing. Just ask Alexia Spencer, who almost lost her high school sweetheart in a near-fatal accident. But when she asked him to give up racing, Jayden Michaels rode off without even a goodbye, leaving Alexia heartbroken.

Ten years later, Jayden’s back—determined to prove he’s over Alexia. But it’s impossible to ignore the irresistible woman she’s become. And it isn’t long before Jayden finds himself on Alexia’s doorstep, driven by his insatiable desire, hoping he can tempt the woman he still loves into letting herself feel the heat—and taking a risk with her heart.

Ever since reading LuAnn's sexy baseball anthology "Hot Summer Nights", I've been a fan of her stories. She incorporates sexy romance with the charm of small-town living, and you immediately feel a connection with her down-to-earth characters. LuAnn McLane writes about people we know, with quirks and flaws and everyday living experience.

This time around, she tackles the world of motorcross racing, and the excitement and pain that goes along with it. Jayden Michaels loves the sport almost as much as he loves his girlfriend Alexia, and at 19, he's got the world by the tail. When he's seriously injured in a race, Alexia begs him to stop racing, terrified she'll lose him. Young and cocky, Jayden believes he can have it all and figures Alexia loves him enough and will stay with him no matter what. But circumstances prevent Alexia from following Jayden when he hits the road, and he's devastated to hear she married someone else. Jayden vows to forget her, losing himself in the danger and thrills of motorcross, and the countless women along the way. Now, a decade later, Jayden is back in Braxton, Tennessee to promote racing to his hometown, never expecting he'd run into the one person who broke his heart.

Alexia had good reason not to follow Jayden all those years ago, but she's afraid to tell him what it is. She loved him with her whole heart, and when he left town it hurt unbearably. Alone, confused, hurting, she finds what she thinks she needs in another man, facing that her and Jayden are truly over. But her marriage does not last, and when Jayden comes back into her life, she knows she may have been granted a second chance at the only happiness she's ever known. Is she strong enough to take that leap of faith?

Right from the first moment Jayden and Alexia see each other again, it's obvious their chemistry is as strong as ever. LuAnn does a wonderful job of creating a sense of their past feelings as well as establishing their attraction all over again, which makes it completely believable when they can't keep their hands off each other. They obviously have unresolved issues, yet their affection and concern for each other shines strongly. Jayden is afraid of letting himself care so much for Alexia, not understanding why she married someone else. Alexia doesn't know if she can go through the pain she did when Jayden left. With the help of Brianna, Alexia's sister, and Colin, Jayden's best friend, the two finally realize that they have a shot at a second chance for happiness, so is fear really worth letting it slip away.

I love how LuAnn sprinkles quaint touches of small-town living in her stories, and adds doses of the country songs she loves so much. Music tends to be a strong factor in her characters getting through some tough times, and I like how she uses it as a symbol of strength.

I enjoyed this story very much, and found it to be very hot and emotional. It may seem that Jayden and Alexia keep hopping into bed like horny bunnies, but they are still young, and are obviously very attracted to each other, so I didn't find this to be too extreme for two people falling in love all over again. I thought it made sense, as they never really got a chance to say "good-bye" years earlier, so they have unfinished feelings between them. It worked for me.


Rating: **** out of *****

Labels:

7 Comments

  1. I have been seeing this book around everywhere. It seems race car driving is big this season. I just finished Erin McCarthy's Flat Out Sexy about a race car driver and the woman he falls for. That was a nice romance also :D


  2. Thanks for the great review - I've added this to my TBR list. It seems that sports is the big thing now...I just read one on Pro Football that was great.

    Since I like racing - this one is definitely for me.


  3. I keep seeing good reviews of this book! I think I'll go order it. :)


  4. Stop reading good books, Stacy! I wanna read this book really bad right now, must go order it! Great review.


  5. Ok - Now I have to go to the bookstore...again. lol Great review - definitely made me want to go buy it.


  6. Great review Stacy. I so loved this story, and agree with you that LuAnn really nailed the whole story down and made it work out so beautifully.


  7. Kate, I can't wait for Erin's book. I love her stuff.

    Kara, I'm so glad to hear this. I love sports heroes, and heroines for that matter :)

    Casee, I really, really enjoyed it. LuAnn's an auto-buy for me.

    Tracy, I say go for it :)

    Ro, I am so far behind on books it's not even funny. I need to get w/ the program here.

    Cryna, isn't LuAnn's writing great? I felt connected with her characters immediately.


Post a Comment