Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Monday, August 18, 2008:
Hangin' with Colleen Gleason
I found out a few weeks ago that Colleen Gleason (author of the fab Gardella series) was going to be at Borders for an informal booksigning on Friday, August 15th, not too far from my house, and of course I just had to go. I invited pal Michelle Buonfiglio, who recently moved to the area, and of course she was thrilled to get the opportunity to hang out with me, because you know, who wouldn't?

Michelle and I decided to meet not far from her house since she's still not too familiar with the area, so while I was waiting for her, I sat outside reading book 4, "When Twilight Burns", which is soooo, soooo good. Anywayz, I'm getting right to the yummy goodness of Victoria rolling around on the ground, gettin' dirty with...nah, I won't spoil it for ya...when Michelle scares the ever-living hell out of me as she beeps to get my attention. The book almost went flying but thank God I had the presence of mind to hold on to it for dear life. Who cares about my cell phone as long as the book survives. Disaster avoided. We were on our way.

And, it turns out DIK chick Shannon is also a local girl, so we made plans to meet up at one of my absolute favorite places, the Cheesecake Factory, before the signing. Shannon beat us there, and I got her text as we were waiting in line for a table. I knew from a picture at her blog what she looked like, yet then she comes along with this cute, short hairstyle that made me all jealous since I'm ready to hack off all my hair myself. Moving on. I did have a great time eating and laughing and talking with her and Michelle, and learned about a lot more books that I need to get. Thanx to Shannon, I'm ready to dip my toes in the urban fantasy pool even more deeply than I had before.

Photobucket

Colleen and me

(Note: gosh do I look stoned or what??? This is why I don't like getting my picture taken)

We got to Borders a bit late, but since it was not an official signing, it was all good. We met Colleen's good friend Kelly, who lives in the area, and Kristan (?), who came all the way down from Wisconsin. It was so relaxing just to sit down and talk about books. We talked about some of our faves like JD Robb and Judith McNaught, and what ongoing series (other than Colleen's) we were reading. Both Michelle and Colleen got me to consider Eloisa James' latest series (starting with "The Desperate Duchess") even though EJ is a hit or miss author for me. Still, I am getting the first 3 books in the series.

Colleen also mentioned that she would like to continue the Gardella series, so you just never know what may happen after book 5, "As Shadows Fade", which has another gorgeous cover, btw. I'm all for more Gardellas. And Venators.

Like I mentioned earlier, Shannon intrigued me with her comments on urban fantasy, especially her thoughts on Kim Harrison's series, so I picked up "Dead Witch Walking". And I grabbed my second ever SEP book, "It Had to Be You", because I just can't start in the middle of that series . I also decided to give Colette Gale's "Unmasqued" a try, especially after hearing about a new take on the Robin Hood legend. I know I'm not the only one imagining Richard Armitage here.
Photobucket

Colleen and Michelle Buonfiglio

I didn't get a picture of Shannon (I forgot, though Michelle got a group picture so maybe I'll steal it from her if I get a chance) but I do want to bless her for introducing me to Seattle's Best hot chocolate. OMG, it is ambrosia! Creamy, rich, delicious, with white chocolate shavings sprinkled on top. Definitely one of the most heavenly creations known to man. I am forever indebted to her for this discovery.

It was 10:30 and Colleen had to leave since she was driving to Indiana the next day, so we said our good-byes, then Shannon, Michelle and I started making fun of some of the art covers and book titles. You just can't help it - some of them are just hideous. I think we (okay, Michelle) also scared off a bunch of shoppers away from the romance section.

It was a wonderful night, spent with new and existing friends, eating and talking and just having a great time together. And if ever you get the opportunity, I would definitely recommend going to a booksigning. Definitely one of this summer's highlights :)

Labels: , ,

10 Comments

  1. That sounds like such a fun evening! I love author signings and I love meeting fellow bloggers and romance readers, too. And who doesn't love cheesecake?!?


  2. What fun!! And no! You don't look stoned! You look beautiful!


  3. Christine, it was lots of fun. And the sad thing - we didn't even have cheesecake! And we forgot our to-go boxes in the restaurant. I hate when I do that!

    Jenster, you are a complete doll. Can I just say how much I love you *g* In a few weeks, that hair will be cut off, I hope. That is my plan.


  4. Doncha LOVE Colleen? She's so fabulous and really, really sweet. I also love how adept she is at getting everyone to be included in coversations.

    And you got to hang with Shannon! I LOVE her!

    I have to agree with jenster, you look great, I'm not sure what you're talking about!

    Glad you had a great time!


  5. Sounds like a fun time, Stacy. And I think your picture is neat, not sure why you dislike it, mind you I stay as far from pictures as I can get........so I am one to talk.


  6. Sounds like you had a great time! Gald you are helping Michele find her way around and make friends- like she would have any problem with that at all!!

    One of the things I will miss most about working at Borders is my daily cup of hot chocolate in the winter. Or at least the employee discount I used to buy it with!!


  7. That sounds like so much fun! Wish I could have been there. I plan to read her books. Haven't done it yet. I did pick up Pleasure Unbound after hearing about it on your blog. Haven't read it yet. I'm re reading all the Dark Hunter books right now.


  8. I can't stand coffee, but I love hot chocolate and Seattle's Best (at Borders) is the absolute best I've ever had. At least when they make it right...

    After the first few times, I watched closely while they made it and realized they use half and half! And the toppings add to the yumminess too. There are a few times at certain stores that someone makes it with milk (not half and half) and I realize I've been spoiled because it's just not the same.

    The only thing that stops me from drinking hot chocolate is the insane heat here in Phoenix in the summer.

    Glad you had fun!


  9. Yay! I had such a blast meeting you and the rest of the gals. So much fun. I don;t think I have laughed that hard in a long time. We definitly need to make it a point to meet up regularly. I'm with Kelly, a Chicago book clun is just what the doctor ordered!

    I have already devoured two of the books I bought on Friday. The Loepard Prince (so sweet, I just love her writing) and Cry Wolf (Briggs has done it again!) You really need to read the Mercy Thompson series. Patricia Briggs is just fabulous.


  10. I hope you like the Kim Harrison books. I love them! The constant insanity is fascinating to read. :)


Post a Comment