Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Monday, July 21, 2008:
"Journey to the Center of the Earth" (2008) - movie review
Photobucket
A science professor's untraditional hypotheses have made him the laughing stock of the academic community. But on an expedition in Iceland, he and his nephew stumble upon a major discovery that launches them on a thrilling journey deep beneath the Earth's surface, where they travel through never-before-seen worlds and encounter a variety of unusual creatures.
This movie was a new experience for me for a few reasons. First of all, I've never read anything by Jules Verne, so this was a treat, and it was also my first movie in 3D. Let me tell you, I had a blast. I went and saw it with one of my girlfriends and her mom, who giggled several times which I thought was cute. This was just a fun, fun movie. Tons of special effects of course, but that didn't bother me. I just loved the whole idea of the center of the earth harboring such hidden wonders. If only reality were sometimes as amazing as our imagination.
Plus I think it's a great family film. So many movies out there for kids are animated (there were at least 3 animated previews I watched today) so to see one with actual people in it was very nice. Don't get me wrong, I do want to see the animated Wall-E, but I like to see movies with actual people in them on occasion. This one fit the bill. It was a great way to spend a hot and humid Sunday afternoon. Plus, Brendan Fraser is kind of cute in a goofy, endearing way, and I do like his voice, so the eye candy portion of the production definitely worked for me, and my friend was in total agreement. Two thumbs up from both of us.
Rating: **** out of *****
Have you seen movies in 3D?
Which was your first?

Labels: , ,

6 Comments

  1. I read the adapted kids book version of this story long long ago and always LOVED it. Such adventure and imagination! It was one of my favorites. So when I saw the ads for this movie, I was intrigued. I didn't know it was in 3D...how cool. :)

    Brendan Fraser is adorable, imo. A bit of a lug, but you just want to wrap him up and take him home.


  2. I have been anticipating this one. I love Brenden Frasier, he is an great actor and I love his movies. He said that he is attracted to fish-out-of-water roles, and I think he plays them well.


  3. I really want to see this one! I'm hoping kiddo and I can pencil each other in to get to see this soon.

    I have seen 3D movies before, but for the life of me I can't remember what they were. I remember getting the funny glasses and everything. Just not what the movies were.


  4. This is a must see for me. I can't wait to see it.

    My first 3D, I can't remember exactly. But I know there have been some fun ones.
    My kids are excited because Hannah Montana's 3D movie is on on Saturday. We had to run out this weekend and pick up a pair of glasses. =o)


  5. this sounds like a good movie, I like Brendan Fraser too. great review! I have seen 3D movies before, but I cant remember them now.
    http://thebookworm07.blogspot.com/


  6. Yep, I saw Spy Kids 3D.
    It sucked, lol.

    BTW, I bought this book for my son. He likes it so far.


Post a Comment