Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Monday, July 14, 2008:
"Iron Man" (2008) - movie review
Photobucket



Tony Stark is a billionaire industrialist and genius inventor who is kidnapped and forced to build a devastating weapon. Instead, using his intelligence and ingenuity, Tony builds a high-tech suit of armor and escapes captivity. When he uncovers a nefarious plot with global implications, he dons his powerful armor and vows to protect the world as Iron Man.
I've always loved Robert Downey Jr. Even in the midst of his drug problems, I still liked him, and felt a twinge of sympathy for him, and prayed he would find his way from the dark side. From the first time I saw him, I believe it was in "The Pick-Up Artist" with Molly Ringwald, when he had a space between his teeth, I've found myself drawn to his personality. He always seemed a little off-the-wall, too reckless, yet he wore his heart on his sleeve and you just felt he gave everything he had to give. He was the damaged bad boy, the kind that's a little too hard to resist. At least it was for me. I've just always been a fan of his.
So of course when I heard about this movie I had wanted to see it, and even moreso when I heard many people say how much they enjoyed it. Even some of my more picky friends gave it rave reviews. Sounded like a no-brainer to me. I was so glad it was still in theatres.
My thoughts:
The first scene scared me a little because it was remniscent of "Indiana Jones 4" (which if you've read this blog, you know I absolutely hated), but once RDJr showed up as Tony Starke, all was right with the movie. He was his sarcastic, charming self, arrogant and a bit of a meglomaniac, and I loved it. What fun to play a billionaire with the world falling at your feet! But then he's kidnapped by enemy forces who want him to build them a weapon, and suddenly Tony sees exactly what his legacy is, and how he wants to change it.
Building the prototype for his future "Iron Man" suit, Tony escapes and is finally rescued by U.S. Military, much to the relief of his friends and personal assistant Pepper Potts (played by Gwynth Paltrow). But not everyone is happy with his return, and certainly not with his new outlook on life. It's up to Tony to save himself and his company without being killed in the process, and so he creates an even stronger, more efficient Iron Man to help save the world.
What a fun movie! RDJr is perfect in the role as a dissipated billionaire with unlimited access to beautiful women, good alcohol, fast cars and the unrelenting attention of the media. While he believes he uses his powers and intelligence for good, it becomes immediately apparent to him how naive and blind he's been for so long, and he's determined to change all that. He's gutsy, kinda crazy, completely self-absorbed, yet still very likeable. I found myself hoping that a sequel is now in the works.
Rating: ***** out of *****
Who's your favorite superhero/heroine?

Labels: ,

1 Comments

  1. The sequel is in the works already. If you saw Hulk, you also saw more of Tony Stark. The idea is to tie in the Marvel comic hereos as they have been.

    If you stayed for the credits and the last clips of the film, this will give you an idea.

    I loved this movie- all 5 times that I saw it. Daughter went even more! Took my mother who hasn't been to a movie since Star Trek 6 the Voyage Home came out. Seriously. Her comment was she hoped she was around for the next one.

    After all the stops and starts with various heroes in movies I am so glad that they got this one right the first time around!

    Now off to Batman on Friday morning at 1201.


Post a Comment