Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Friday, April 04, 2008:
When you meet me...
Photobucket

This year, 2008, is going to be a great year, because I have not one, not two, but three vacations planned where I will be meeting several of my online friends, many for the very first time. Of course I'm very excited about this because I've met some really cool people, and because I've also seen other bloggers meet and celebrate special occasions together (i.e. Holly's wedding), and I love how people from so many different places get together and enjoy each other's company.

As excited as I am, I can't help but feel a little nervous. See, I'm not this out-going, friendly person who is social and fun and interesting. (If you've read my blog, you already know this). Sure, in my own environment, such as work, where I know what I'm doing, I'm much more confident and have no problem meeting people. I tend to go out of my way to be friendly, even going as far as trying to make them laugh if I sense they're receptive. It breaks the ice and makes everyone feel more comfortable. I love to tease people, but not in a mean-spirited way, exactly, more in a fun, laid-back, relaxing fashion. I want people to feel welcome around me, to not be afraid to approach me. I work in a building of over 3500 people, and for the last 7 years, I've been fairly recognizable because of my job. I shamelessly admit that I rather enjoy that aspect of it. I am the Paris Hilton of my own little world (or at least I like to think I am). And yeah, I've even been approached while I was in the bathroom. Thank God I don't do autographs.

Having said that, there is a flipside to this story. Leaving my comfort zone and meeting new people is always rather stressful for me. I probably come across as somewhat of a beeyotch at times like this. I have to wonder if I even smile. Here I am, meeting someone I've known for awhile and have been wanting to meet for ages, yet I'm feeling tense and nervous, and it comes across as snotty behavior. But I swear to God it's not that I don't want to meet new people. Seriously. It's more that I am what Jodi would refer to as a raging introvert and social situations can be draining for people of my ilk. Crowds are my kryptonite.

So, a word of advice for you when meet me: it's not you, it's me. No really, it's not you. It's ME. Don't take my weirdness personally. And if you're a little patient with me, I do get better with time. So smack me and tell me to snap out of it...okay, just tap me lightly cuz I have a low tolerance for pain....and I'm sure I'll be less embarrassing out in public. Either that or simply follow these instructions:


  • Make sure I am caffeinated on a substantial level. Coffee or milk chocolate work best for optimal performance.


  • Be sure I am properly fed. A hungry, grumbling Stacy is not a happy Stacy, but giving me treats is a sure way to avoid the ugliness. Steak, sweets, or anything bad for you seems to work wonders.


  • Keep any and all onions far, far away...unless otherwise specified by me. There have been known to be exceptions, but this occasions are extremely rare and you would not want to risk the consequences.


  • Rhapsodize over Brockmann & Kleypas books, Gerard Butler, "North & South", vanilla iced coffee, erotic romance, Josh Bernstein, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and okay, Nathan Kamp. Pictures are always welcome. (Though if you give me a picture of a vanilla iced coffee, I probably won't be amused).


  • Make sure I get plenty of bathroom breaks. I'm a drinker (but not a lush) and my bladder is the size of a dime.


  • I freeze easy (when it's 72 degrees outside) and get awfully cranky when I am cold. So be sure I am always well prepared for high a/c conditions.

Follow these easy-to-read instructions and I may actually be rather okay to be around. And if for some reason none of these suggestions are working, a big, ole hug has been known to perform miracles.

That being said, I am so, so, SO freakin' excited about meeting my fellow Bellas, and bookjunkys, and scamps, and re-visiting those of you I've already seen several times but still miss like crazy. Y'all rock my online world :)

Labels:

7 Comments

  1. Oh, this is such a sweet post. I always wonder what it would be like to meet my online friends and feel worried about it, too. This form of communication is sort of perfect for us introverts.


  2. LOL Stacy I think we’re all a little nervous :o) But I’m sure it’ll all turnout fine.

    I have this trip and then another trip in June when I go to meet Marie. And for that one I’m staying with her and am a little nervous about that one, because I’m also bring my son and I juts hope he’s on his best behavior.


  3. LOL, Stace!!! We must have been separated at birth, Sister!! You just described me to a 'T'.

    All except for the iced coffee.

    If I have coffee (which is a must in the morning and afternoon and sometimes in the evening), it must be hot. Like you, I am cold blooded and don't care for anything cold but my beer. =oD


  4. Are you familiar with Brad Paisley's song "Online"?


  5. I'm looking forward to seeing you again, Stacy! I'm also like you, a little shy until I get to know somebody. My husband wouldn't agree, he says I never shut up, unless I have a book in front of me.


  6. *MK taking notes furiously*

    All really good tips, Stace!

    I can't wait to meet all my Bellas in person!


  7. I'm so with you on Kleypas, Gerard Butler, and North & South.

    I'm meeting one of my online friends from the SB forums when I go to Savannah this month. I'm so very excited ~ but can I just say how jealous I am that you've got 3 vacations coming up????


Post a Comment