Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Sunday, October 14, 2007:
birthdays and weddings

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



I had a grand birthday, and it was pretty much like I mentioned - lots of attention and activity. I enjoyed myself quite a bit, and still continue to celebrate. I thank everyone who stopped by to wish me a happy birthday, and a special thank you to Holly from the Book Binge for mentioning me at their blog. You definitely should stop by and check out their cool hang-out.
October is such a busy birthday month, and now it seems to be a pretty popular wedding month as well. My co-worker's daughter got married yesterday, and I went to both the wedding, which was at noon, and the reception, which was at 6 pm. I've not been to many weddings in my time, and it was my first Catholic wedding. When my friend Lori got married 2 years ago, I was in the wedding, and the whole ceremony took maybe 15 minutes. Many of you know that Catholic weddings are significantly longer. I found it rather moving, and I liked that it didn't go by in a blink.
After the wedding, I went with my friend and co-worker to the hotel. Her husband was working so he was showing up later, so her and I hung out for awhile with the bride's mom and her family and just relaxed until it was time to get ready. The reception was so awesome, with an open bar and incredible appetizers to start out with. Later we went into the ballroom for dinner, and everything was gorgeous. After the wedding party was seated, the bride and groom had the wedding cake tasting, then the speeches, and finally a mariachi band played during the scrumptious dinner of salad, New England crab cakes, filet mignon and a tasty chicken dish. They went all out for their special day, and it was a blast dancing and just letting loose. I always feel like Elaine (from "Seinfeld") when I'm on the dance floor, but when you've been drinking and having fun, who cares, right?
Being single, there's some outside pressure to about when it's "my turn", or at the very least, to be seriously dating someone, which I'm not. Most of the time I can ignore it cuz I just don't care what people think, and because there hasn't been anyone I've been interested in enough to date. Well, that's not entirely true, but the one guy who flips my switch is involved, so it's obviously not meant to be between us. Frustrating, yes, but not much I can do about that, so it's not the end of the world. Anyway, the bride & groom had been wanting to introduce me to the best man for awhile, but since he lives in another state, that never came about. Turns out he showed up with a date to the wedding, but you know, after meeting him, I can't say I feel bad about that fact, especially since I never heard her talk - she seemed to be strictly there as eye candy. Plus he's in his mid-30's but parties like a guy in his 20's, which is kinda sad. Overhearing him talk to some people before the reception, he was loud and vulgar. All I could think of was "thank God". Horrible of me, I know. But what a relief! Believe me, being single is not so bad, when the alternative is much worse.
Have you ever met someone special at a wedding?
What was the best wedding you've ever been to?
Do you enjoy being in the wedding party?

Labels: ,

6 Comments

  1. No, I've never met anyone at a wedding. I don't like weddings ~ they just reiterate how alone I am. And I don't want to be.

    I was maid of honor at my siser's wedding. The guy who flips my switch came to the reception (courtesy of my matchmaking boss), so that was a nice surprise. Unfortunately, he hasn't really made any moves. Everyone who sees us together knows there's something going on, but I'm shriveling up waiting on him to ask (I can't ask ~ That's a story for a different day). Also, I'm sickeningly monogomous ~ I've never been a casual dater, but when I'm interested in someone, I don't even "look" for anyone else.


  2. Never met someone at a wedding. As for the best wedding I've ever been to my first answer would be my own for obvious reasons. Other than my own I'd say my best friend, Danielle's. She married a guy who is like an adopitive brother to me. he lived with me and my mom when I was in high school. We're as close as you can be without being related by blood. That wedding was very special to me because of the two people involved. Plus it was beautiful!


  3. Dev, I'm right there with you. I'm not a casual person either, so it takes me a long time before I'm really interested in someone - I'm a bit picky. Oh well, if I'm single my whole life, at least I didn't settle (keep telling myself that...)

    Kelley, from your blog, your dh sounds very special. I'm glad you've been to some wonderful weddings, including your own :)


  4. Never met anyone special at a wedding. My wedding was my favorite wedding. The first wedding (my sister's) was horrible, but the second wedding (my sister-in-law's) I was in, was a blast!

    You are so right too - there is a much much worse fate than being single - being with the wrong person by far outweighs it!


  5. I'm late but

    Happy B lated birthday!!!!


  6. I hate weddings, and I do all I can to avoid them. The best wedding I have been to was my own. Thast because it took all of 10 minutes. (We eloped to Niagara falls and got married at the court house)

    I was a brides maid in a goth theme wedding. It was really cool, and I didn't roll my eyes or yawn once.


Post a Comment