Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Friday, November 13, 2009:
Catching up with online friend Dani :)

Photobucket

Danielle & me

Y'all know me as the world's biggest procrastinator, so it should be no surprise it took me 3 days to finally post about my meeting with online friend Danielle. I've known Dani for a few years, being on the same loops and all, but had no idea we lived so close to each other. I think we were talking about a booksigning on one of the loops when I finally figured it out. So of course after some time had passed, we were able to find some time where we were both free to have lunch.

For those of you who already know Dani, she's a total doll. I felt immediately comfortable with her, and it was a pleasure talking with someone who loves romance as much as I do. Our tastes are a little different, but there's still nothing like gushing over books with a fellow romance reader. (Just ask my Twitter pimps, er, pals).

The other impressive thing about her is her incredible knowledge. The woman can run circles around me, especially when it comes to talking ebooks and ereaders and finding great bargains. I'm still locked in the 20th century and haven't been swept away by the magic of the ebook reader, but if I ever find myself yearning to buy one, Dani is going to be my go-to girl. She does her homework and knows more than I would even think to ask. After lunch we had hit the nearby B&N, where the upcoming Nook was being featured. It was obvious she knew more than the salesperson, an older gentleman who probably didn't know any more about ereaders than I did.

That day I bought 6 books, 4 in the Jeaniene Frost series of which I took a picture of with my new phone, but it came out too small for some reason. (Once I figure it out, I might try posting it again). I also bought 2 by Simone Elkeles since I'm a bit infatuated with YA after reading her "Perfect Chemistry".

After that we parted ways, but what a fun way to spend the afternoon. We made plans to catch up in a few months, after the craziness of the holidays settles down. I never tire of catching up with online friends, especially those who love romance, since none of my RL friends do, outside of the Twilight series, which I'll be honest, just doesn't cut it. Can't wait to do it again.

Thank you Dani, for a wonderful day spent talking books, bargains, and ebook readers :)


How far would you travel to meet your online friends?

Labels:

10 Comments

  1. Stacy,

    It was great meeting you too!! I had such a good time that I've been telling all my other friends about you!? Your a doll also. And thank you for all the wonderful things that you said about me -- ditto to you also for your book knowledge.


  2. Great pic! Now I know what you look like! Isn't it great to meet people like this, I have met some of my best friends like this. You obvious had a wonderful time together, nothing better than great romance booktalk with a fellow booklover while sharing some food! Have a great weekend!


  3. Sounds like a great time, Stacy! Many of my favorite people in the world are friends I've met online and I treasure them as much as life-long friends. I'm so happy for both you and Danielle in making an "in person" connection!


  4. How awesome! I love meeting my online friends! The furthest (farthest?) I ever went was to Ohio. And dammit, I didn't meet you that year. It was a long time ago.

    On our So Cal meetups, I think some of us drive about 100 miles or so on average, but then, that's a normal day in So Cal, LOLOL!!!!


  5. Hi :)
    I love the picture. Who took it?
    It's great that the internet can connect people!
    Love & Best Wishes to you & yours,
    All the best,
    RKCharron
    xoxo


  6. Stacy-

    Great picture. So glad you and Dani got to meet up in person. I love to meet omy online friends.

    Fartherist I have ever went spacifically to meet an online friend was Chesapeak, VA/New Bern, NC. There were a group of 8 of us who met through various ways on line and we all joined the same book loop and eventually formed our own little group of 8 from there. We were from all over. Me from Indiana, Mich from Chesapeak VA at the time, Jennifer from DC, Myra from Atlanta, GA, Syndee and Gayle from New Bern, NC and Cynthia and Sallie all the way from Canada. Anyway we made plans to meet in New Bern, NC and spend the weekend. Was a great time and tons of fun. Thanks for reminding me of such special memories.

    Hope you have a great weekend.


  7. I love hearing about online bloggers meeting up with each other. It's the next best thing to doing it myself! LOL. So glad you two had fun.

    I think I'd be willing to travel an hour or so without hesitation to meet a fellow blogger. But for a group meet up like the So Cal gals do, I'd make a day of it and be willing to travel longer like Lori described.


  8. Wow, that's so great. I would so love to meet someone of the blogosphere or twitter but I think my chances are a little low at the moment. Perhaps after I finished the university I can afford to make a trip to one of the fellow bloggers. I would love that.
    Happy you too had fun!


  9. Well - I traveled from London Ontario (which is near Toronto for those who don't know where it is) to San Francisco. Mind you it was a twofold reason for traveling that far - the RWA conference and meeting fellow bloggers. But if I didn't have bloggers to meet, I wouldn't have gone. I don't the actual distance - but it was quite a bit - different time zones and non direct flights *g*.
    But for just a regular day long meet, that would be a drive of an hour and a half where I met Cindy and Lea and Mary G (a non blogger but regular visitor) and Nath - who came from Quebec.


  10. Sounds like a wonderful way to spend an afternoon. I haven't met any of my online friends yet, but then I live at the bottom of the world, which makes it is little tricky :) If I ever win the lottery (Note: to win, you have to buy a ticket!) I'll be attending the RWA. In the interim, it's online all the way for me *grin*


Post a Comment