Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Monday, July 27, 2009:
"The Ugly Truth" (2009) a.k.a. a Stacy eye candy movie
Photobucket
The battle of the sexes heats up in Columbia Pictures' comedy The Ugly Truth. Abby Richter (Katherine Heigl) is a romantically challenged morning show producer whose search for Mr. Perfect has left her hopelessly single. She's in for a rude awakening when her bosses team her with Mike Chadway (Gerard Butler), a hardcore TV personality who promises to spill the ugly truth on what makes men and women tick. --© Sony Pictures
Photobucket

This movie doesn't reveal anything new about romantic comedies - there's still the stereotypical uptight heroine, the slightly smarmy, gorgeous hero who smirks at the heroine and always manages to put her in her place, and the lame scenario that inevitably throws them together so they are forced to spend copious time either working with each other or against each other for a common goal, i.e. competing for a promotion, forced to work on the same team, needing to get married to stay in the country...

However one thing this movie has that a lot of others don't is actual, intentional humor. Raunchy, honest, no-holds-barred humor. Sure, Mike Chadway is the predictable, crass male chauvinist whose rude and and raw beliefs garner him quite a following, which leads him to network televison, and Abby Richter is the detail-oriented, list-obsessed anal producer who is forced to work with Mike. But they are so fun to watch that even the sexist comments and crude behavior aren't as offensive as you'd expect. When she meets a potential candidate who fits the criteria on her list for the perfect mate, she ends up realizing that maybe there is some merit to what Mike has to say, and he begins to give her lessons on attracting - and keeping - the man of her dreams. Of course all this time together predictably ends in them falling in love, but not without some obstacle (i.e. Abby's dream man) or another (Mike's fear of commitment). And there is the grand gesture of someone declaring their feelings. The inevitable climax occurs, and another romantic comedy is in the bag.

Okay, with my blind lust of Gerard Butler, there's not much wrong he could have done here. There were moments that he was a complete pig who only dated women wearing bikinis who wrestled in jello, but what can I say? I really liked him in the movie, and I liked Katherine Heigl as well, even if I'm not sure I like her very much in real life, but she's damn good in these movies (i.e. "Knocked Up"), and it takes balls to put herself in some of these situations. Together they had enough chemistry to light San Francisco, and the scene in the restaurant with the vibrating panties was bloody hilarious. Even my friend Liz, who hated "Something About Mary" with a passion because of what she calls its nasty humor, loved this movie, and believe me, that's sayin' something.

So will I be buying this on DVD? Hello? Haven't you been listening? Gerard?? You betcha I will! It's better than "The Proposal", and I thought that was cute, but this one was full of suggestive, dirty, sexy humor and laugh-out-loud goodness. Totally works for me.

Rating: **** out of *****

Have you seen it?

If so, did you like it? If not, do you want to?

Labels: ,

21 Comments

  1. Hi Stacey, Gerard Butler, of course I'll be seeing it at the movies and buying the DVD 'sigh'...


  2. Yes, I saw it. And well, I had a different reaction.

    He's delicious. She's lovely. They had nice chemistry, but neither of them were likable. You know?

    This one didn't work for me. Sorry to disagree, Stace.

    Well, we can agree that Gerry = Eye Candy.


  3. I want to see it but haven't yet.


  4. I've not seen it yet but my 22 year old daughter did and now she "loves" Gerard Butler! She said the movie was really cute and that she and her friends really liked it!


  5. I'm looking forward to seeing this! Don't know when I'll get to, though... haven't even made it to Harry Potter yet. :(

    Thanks for the review, Stacy!

    Janice M.


  6. I'm totally looking forward to seeing this one. Just mentioned it last night at dinner to the hubby.


  7. My sister and her husband saw this movie over the weekend. She was "meh" about it but her husband loved it! Men can enjoy chick flicks.

    It is the power of Gerry. Nom.


  8. Alaine, hope you enjoy it.

    Kati, say it isn't so! Now I'll admit I totally get why you would feel that way, but I was still able to find the characters rather likable enough to work. He was a total jerk in the beginning, and she came across as bitter, but once they started hanging out together I found it more fun than vulgar or sexist. What can I say, I have low standards.

    Ms. Moonlight, do go see it. I thought it was fun. Hope you do too.

    Blanche, glad your daughter liked it. Hope you get a chance to see it for yourself.

    Oh Janice, I thought it was fun. The only thing that I didn't care for was how it ended. I guess I wanted a little more, but still, it fit within the context of the film.

    Lori, I think it's a good movie to see with a guy. They'll definitely find something to appreciate LOL.


  9. Kate, that's what I say. I am not surprised more women may not care for it, but Gerry was a huge draw. I don't know if I would have felt the same if someone else was in the role. I'm totally superficial that way :D


  10. And now you know why I saw The Proposal.

    Perfect movie idea or best eye candy placement would be Ryan, Gerry and Hugh in the same movie together.


  11. I haven’t seen this one yet and have a feeling I’m going to have to wait for it to come out on DVD.


  12. I didn't realize it was rated R, just assumed another PG 13 romantic comedy. Ooops, watching with my 17 year old daughter was awkward. But we both really enjoyed it. Kind of a mother daughter bonding experience.


  13. I want to see this! Gerard Butler is oh so delicious. Just look at that stubble.


  14. I'm glad you liked it. I want to see it and I want to like it! It sounds so fun! What a cute set up.


  15. I can't wait to see this movie, I love Gerry.


  16. Very tempting :)

    Even my friend Liz, who hated "Something About Mary" with a passion because of what she calls its nasty humor, loved this movie, and believe me, that's sayin' something.

    I'm with Liz. I avoid Something About Mary and similar movies like the plague because I just don't find them funny. But then, I don't have a sense of humour :)


  17. I'm not planning on seeing it. I'm not that big a Gerard Butler fan *gulp* - yes, I admit it - he doesn't really do it for me. But it's Katherine Heigl that will really keep me from watching it. I can't stand her. I loathe her character in Grey's and I don't particularly care for what I've seen of her in real life.
    Now the movie with Jennifer Aniston and Gerard Butler - that may be a different story.
    Personally though - I prefer Mr. Butler in period movies.


  18. ooooh i want to see The Ugly Truth sooo bad! this weekend just got away from me, but it is high up on my to do list. and in total agreement re: "blind lust" for gerard.


  19. I want to see this one so bad, but it's like pulling teeth to get my husband to watch a romance movie :(


  20. Barbara, I bet your husband would like it. A lot of pervy guy humor LOL.


  21. You know, this movie really reminded me that Hollywood loves romance novels, they just don't want to admit it. This premise is something I did in Temptation way back in 2001. And the "vibrating panties" scene I did in Blaze in 2002!

    I do love Gerard Butler, of course, and the "slightly smarmy, wiseass, sexy-as-hell" hero is my absolute favorite!


Post a Comment