Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Thursday, July 23, 2009:
Eve of Destruction by S.J. Day (2009) - mini review
When you're learning to hunt demons, homework can be hell...

Class is in, but Evangeline Hollis is far from being the star pupil. She's struggling to get through the required training to be a full-fledged Mark -- one of thousands of sinners forced to hunt demons for God. When her class goes on a week-long field trip to an abandoned military base, passing the course suddenly isn't just a matter of pride... it's a matter of life and death. There's a demon hidden among them, killing off Eve's classmates one by one.

As the body count rises, a ragtag team of ghost hunters from a cable TV program unwittingly stumbles into the carnage. Now keeping the Mark system secret competes with the need to keep the "paranormal researchers" alive. With Cain on assignment and Abel investigating a new, terrifying class of demon, Eve must fly solo on her hunt to stop a killer before he strikes again.

Here we go, round 2 of Eve's adventure. *Warning: there may be spoilers* I don't know why I'm having such a difficult time writing reviews for this series, other than that there's just so much going on it's hard to string a coherent sentence together. Convinced? Yeah, it's just me who can't get it right. And it's definitely not because I don't like the series, because I do, very much. And I just can't do it justice, but here are a few thoughts, observations, and glowing recommendations.


Eve has been marked for about 6 weeks now, and already she'd been killed. And brought back to life. Yet with everything that she'd gone through since being Marked, she still didn't feel any closer to God. But she does rejoice and in the glory, and wallow in a bit of guilt, brought on by fascination for two brothers. There's Alec Cain, her first love and currently her mentor, and there's Reed Abel, a one-time lover and now her handler.

I'm going to go off on a little tangent here * which may lead to spoilers * and just comment on how much I like that Eve is a one-man woman. Here she is, in love with one brother and intensely attracted to the other, yet she is determined not to give in to the most wicked of temptations by sampling the goods of both brothers, especially these two specific siblings, Cain & Abel, who are definitely on opposing sides of the issue. And it's certainly not like they are making it easier on her. Eve is just as attracted to Reed's crude, raw sexuality as she is to Alec's more sensual, affectionate attentions, but only one man claims her heart. Of course there's a part of me that would so go for it if I were her, and enjoy the benefits of two smokin' hawt honeys, but I think the bitterness of regret would eat at me too much. However I will allow that the intimate and arousing encounter the three shared together was pretty imaginative and intense, incredibly emotional with the way it melded them all together in those moments they shared a connection. I mean, Cain and Abel hate each other, but they both care for Eve, and she cares for them, in different ways, so to have them all share this experience was erotic yet heart-wrenching all at the same time.

But, but, then there's the whole deal with *again with the spoilers * Alec becoming an archangel in Raguel's absence, and his love being reserved strictly for God, basically leaving Eve in the dust. The poignant thing is that he's aware of the incredible distance between him and Eve, and tries to remind himself of how it once was, but it's like he's living in a bubble with Eve out the outside, and it bothers me that Eve is starting to feel neglected, which I can't blame her for, and I worry about what it might make her do. Of course it would really burn my butt if Eve had used this as an excuse to get down 'n dirty with Reed, and he seems to think she's back to "single status" again, so he's moving in for the seductive kill, albeit slowly. Grudgingly, I admit the fact he's feeling conflicted by all these emotional complications instead of just plain and simple lust makes the situation a bit more bearable. But as wildly sexy as Reed is, I'm rooting for Camp Alec. He's my guy. And I want him to be Eve's too.

So enough with the mushy stuff. Let's get to the fighting. And the carnage. And ick, all that blood and gore because there does tend to be a lot of it. Everytime you turn around Eve seems to be covered in exploding body parts. I love that she is not the prime fighting champion that her destiny requires her to be. Instead Eve tends to be thrown into this crazy situations that she's not really prepared for, and it's rather refreshing to watch it roll out this way. She's going through a lot of the changes differently than anticipated, and she's treated differently because of it, but that's not necessarily a privilege, especially when time after time, it puts her in further danger, and almost manages to get her killed, again.


So this really wasn't a review, but an overall observation of a really great series that will not end after just three books, which I'm so glad to know. I really feel like I connect with Eve as a heroine, and despite her super powers, she's still very much human, and flawed, and likable. Now it's off to start reading book #3, and since the anticipation is building at a rapid pace, I'm going to sign off now and hope you pick up these books and enjoy them as much as I do.

Rating: **** 1/2 out of *****



Labels:

5 Comments

  1. I'm all Team Alec all the time.

    I'm completely captivated by this series. When do we get more, do you know?


  2. I'm leaning towards Cain and can't wait for this series to continue. Are you going to read Eve Of Chaos anytime soon Stacy?


  3. Thank you Stacy! I so want to read this series! It sounds soooo good! And I just love that the heroine is not the prime fighting champion that her destiny requires her to be.

    Kati - I think Aymless might have the heads up on the fourth book. She was 'stalking' the author at RWA and IIRC there is definitely a fourth book :)


  4. Orannia - There'd better be! She left Book 3 Wiiiiiide Open.


  5. Kati, I'm not sure. I'll ask Sylvia, but she did promise more so I'm all good with that.

    Leontine, I'm reading it now. Just started. Sooo good.

    Orannia, there will be, definitely. It's cool that Eve has issues with her change. I like that she's not an expert on what she's doing. She needs time to adjust.


Post a Comment