Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Tuesday, July 28, 2009:
Spotlight: E - Janet Evanovich
Photobucket

picture courtesy of http://www.evanovich.com/

In this installment of my author spotlight, we come across the first author I have not actually met yet, so it's going to be more about her series than it is about her. I have to admit I was a little late to the party, arriving probably right around the time book 7 or 8 was being released. I'd heard loud rumblings about Janet Evanovich for awhile, but it wasn't until heard about the Joe vs. Ranger debate that my ears really perked up. I had to find out why Stephanie Plum, bounty hunter not so extraordinaire, had two prime hotties gunning for her. Still haven't quite figured it out, other than these guys think inept but endearing trainwrecks with big hair are the cat's pajamas. Don't get me wrong, because I love Stephanie to death, but come on! It should be me you're both fighting for!

Anyway, the books of Janet Evanovich won't win any literary awards, and the predictability factor is set on a permanent high, but I'm totally good with that. I know what I'm getting: a lot of fluff, some giggles, a few naughty moments with whichever guy Steph is jonesing for this week, which by the way, these moments seem be getting less and less. Give me more! The biggest gripe I have is that most of the time Stephanie doesn't seem to be really enjoying herself as much as she should. I'm thinking it's guilt, brought on by her family, minus Grandma Mazur of course, because GM would shove Steph onto the nearest male, unless she was trying to jump him herself.

Also, I don't think Ms. Plum has totally committed herself to the idea of marriage and all that comes with it, which is why I don't have a problem with her hooking up with Ranger from time to time. I believe she cares for Joe, but I'm not totally feeling the love there. Besides, once Stephanie chooses, it may go to the way of Moonlighting, or The X-Files.

So we have an author here who's created an engaging set of characters: Stephanie, her parents, her sister, Joe, Ranger, Lula, Connie, Vinnie, her ex Dickie, her nemesis Joyce, and some other random people who flit in and out of her life. She has an on-again, off-again thing with Joe, and when they're off, chances are she's with Ranger. If I had one complaint, it's that when she's with Joe or Ranger, I wish we could experience more of their...togetherness. Ms. Evanovich is rather brief and sketchy with the details, and I like the details.

So, are you a Joe or a Ranger girl?

What's the appeal?

Labels: ,

10 Comments

  1. I have the first three books. I won them! One day I'd like to read them. I only hear good things about her writing.


  2. Hey Stacy, I abso love Evanovich's books...Stephanie is wonderful...now, it is a very hard decision to make between Joe and Ranger...I LOVE them both...I think Ranger represents the female wet dream and hottest fantasy...Joe, is just that...your average Joe who is HOT as hell!!! So I am for Joe and Ranger...I love this series because I love discovering what Stephanie and Grandma Mazur are going to get into next...I also look for who is going to "lucky" tonight, Ranger or Joe...I am on book 14 right now, and I am just loving it...this series is great for quick reads...they are "fluff" (IMO) and they are a great break from the really intense reading I do sometimes...whenever I want a laugh, I look for Stephanie...I think that the series might be winding down now though...she has to make a choice, and as you said after that choice is made, the series may just go the way of Moonlighting, and IMO Remington Steele...this is a wonderful blog...

    Have a great day all...see you in the jungle...Les is talking about Pitch Black today...

    Peace and love,
    Paula R.


  3. Is it bad that I've never read anything by Janet Evanovich? I hear wonderful things about her but I've never bought one of her books.......I need to go to the bookstore!! Any suggestions on what to read first?


  4. I'm all about Morelli. Ranger would be fine for a fling but Morelli is more marriage material.


  5. I love Ranger hes so mysterious


  6. I have read all of the Plum series but Finger Lickin' Fifteen.
    I opt fot Joe because he is marriage material---Ranger is material for a hot fling.


  7. Oh must say that I can not chose between Joe or Ranger... I started reading Janet's books a long time ago.. Actually when One came out. But I stopped reading around 7-9. Not sure which one. Not because I was not interested, but I moved away from the lady I would share the books with. We had a system where we would buy every other book and share. Share cost, lol! When I moved, life took over and I stopped reading all together. But you are right, they are predictible, but hey.. as long as Joe and Ranger are in them, I could care less... and something is going to blow up or get shot at and you will laugh your bum off with Granny!!! They are great reads!!!
    Thanks for highlighting her!!!
    I hope you have a wonderful day!


  8. I think my biggest disappointment at the RWA conference was the Ms. Evanovitch didn't do a signing. I so wanted to tell her that during Ron's last days, when he was too ill to read, that every afternoon, I would read a chapter or two of Eleven on Top. And for that hour or so every day we could forget what was going on and have a good laugh at Stephanie's expense. I've since turned about 8 people on to her books at work and as most are nurses who work in high pressure situations, they are loving the laughter that comes from these books.
    And since you asked - me - I'm a Joe girl all the way. Ranger is the kind of guy you fantasize about but Joe is the kind of guy who you share your life with.

    And to Blanche - I'd start at the beginning - One for the Money. They are hilarious right out of the gate


  9. I'm embarrassed to admit I've never read a Stephanie Plum book *hides*

    I have heard they are fun reads...was thinking about trying the first. How many in the series?

    And...um....do I have to decide between Ranger and Joe? *grin*


  10. I'm totally a Morelli girl. He's the safe bad boy, because let's face it he was a bad boy until he turned cop. Bad Boy + cop combo does not get any better than that!

    Not that Ranger isn't scrumptious too.


Post a Comment