Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Wednesday, May 13, 2009:
What I'm Watching Wednesday: "Grey's Anatomy"
From booksamillion.com:
For viewers bored or distressed by the constant gore and breakneck speed of hospital dramas like ER, GREY'S ANATOMY comes as a breath of fresh air. Unlike other shows set in the world of medicine, this series is just as concerned with its characters' personal lives as with their medical careers, and thrives by stressing the way in which they intertwine. After all, for surgical interns who have chosen to dedicate their lives to medicine, the hospital largely becomes their home.

Extremely well-written, the series mixes serious issues like mortality with funny storylines and wit. Each character is well developed and individualized, coming off as real rather than a stereotype. The relationships between the characters are what make the show unique, with interesting bonds developing like the one between vulnerably hardheaded Christine (Sandra Oh in an Emmy Award-winning role) and the show's main protagonist Meredith (Ellen Pompeo).

Self-pitying, stubborn, selfless, and determined all at the same time, each character plays a crucial role in the show's pleasing ensemble feel. Rather than standing on its own, each medical challenge sheds some light on the doctors' personal experiences, bringing the hospital environment to a refreshingly relevant level. While the series may not be the most realistic medical drama on television, it is certainly the most compelling and entertaining, containing such juicy plotlines as love triangles, affairs between coworkers, and secret crushes and romances. A thoughtful soundtrack full of indie artists like Rilo Kiley helps give the show its youthful tone, while narration by Ellen Pompeo's character highlights each episode's themes, helping to bridge the gap between the show's lighthearted issues and more somber ones. This release contains every episode from the show's highly addictive first season.

Kati's "Grey's Anatomy" post from a few weeks ago FINALLY convinced me I had to start watching this show. Last week I was going to attempt to watch the episode where Meredith and McDreamy were getting married, but I just couldn't do it. The closest I got to cheating was actually reading her post in its entirety. So I immediately Netflixed season 1 and started watching over the weekend. And once again, I have found something to obsess over. Now for the past 5 years or so, I pretty much gave up television completely. Didn't even watch "Friends" re-runs. But now I'm joining the land of the addicted and happily getting my drama fix on a regular basis.

For those of you in the know, what I'm watching is OLD news. the Nazi; Christina and Burke hooking up; Izzy the model; George trying to convince everyone he's not gay; and of course McDreamy. Remember "Can't Buy Me Love"? Patrick Dempsey was adorable in that movie, but he's ever so much more delicious as a mature and charming doctor.

So it's all new to me, and after 5 episodes, I'm officially hooked. I've watched "ER" over the years, but this show seems so much more fun and gossipy, not so much drowning in sadness and heavy emotion. GA seems to have more of a happy cloud hovering over it, one that might drop some heavy rains now and again, but nothing excessively overwhelming. And certainly not as dizzying.

So now I must wait to get my next 3 DVDs, which will finish off season 1 and begin season 2. I long to stay home and become a complete couch potato, breathlessly waiting for McDreamy's shirt to get ripped off or something just as equally tantalizing. Nothing says "must-see" t.v. like a fine set of abs....


So tell me: when does McSteamy finally show up?

And who's your favorite GA character?

Labels: ,

6 Comments

  1. Hey Stacy!

    Great post. :)

    I have the first two Grey's seasons on DVD and have watched the episodes a couple of times.

    I lost interest in season 3 when it seemed to become more 'soapy'. However I agree, the first two seasons rocked. :)

    Hope you are well.
    Best Regards
    L


  2. **bouncing up and down**

    Yay! Yay! Yay!

    OMG, just WAIT til you get to Season 2! You'll get to meet Denny Duquette, the best guy EVAR! McSteamy shows up in Season 2, in one of my all time favorite openings of Grey's.

    My favorite character on Grey's? Bailey. She's the only grown up on the show. Plus she's hilarious.


  3. I'm with Kati - Bailey is a great character, and I'm so glad you're watching GREY's. Last weeks episode had me in tears and I'm looking forward to the season finale tomorrow night.

    You're watching TV in the pest possible way - renting the season - I think it's a great idea. I've rented (or borrowed from my library) seasons 1-5 of MI-5 from BBC. Can't stop watching it.I'm addicted. I'm waiting for season 6. Season 7 features Richard Armitage, and although that season won't be released for a while yet, you know I'm going to put my order in as soon as it is.


  4. Bailey is my favorite too, along with Christina and George. It's very easy to get hooked on "Grey's," as I found out a few years ago! :)


  5. Grey's is my favorite show on tv! Bailey is my favorite character, but McSteamy and the chief are in the running.

    McSteamy shows up in the 2nd season in one of my favorite episodes ever(still have it saved on my dvr and I own all the seasons on dvd).


  6. We're behind here (we're just about to see the first Private Practice/Grey's Anatomy crossover), so I probably shouldn't have read ALL of your post as eagerly as I did :)

    And I like Bailey too. And McSteamy just cracks me up :)


Post a Comment