Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Thursday, May 07, 2009:
What I'm watching: Carnivale
Photobucket


1934. The Dustbowl. The last great age of magic. In a time of titanic sandstorms, vile plagues, drought and pestilence - signs of God's fury and harbingers of the Apocalypse - the final conflict between good and evil is about to begin. The battle will take place in the Heartland of an empire called America. And when it is over, man will forever trade away wonder for reason. See the conflict of good vs. evil played out against a pair of vivid and unusual backdrops: a traveling carnival working the American Dustbowl circuit, and an evangelical ministry in California.

I just started watching Season 1. I read that it cost $4 million per episode; it was one of the most expensive shows to produce and that there were an estimated 5,000 people costumed in the show’s first season. Amazing.

So far I'm really enjoying the show, so thank you to whoever recommended it (I'm too lazy to go back and check - sorry). It's an interesting and colorful setting for the battle of good vs. evil. It's grim, and a little strange, and very, very dusty. But it's also very engaging (yes, I tend to overuse this word because I like it so much) and before I knew it, I was dying to watch the next episode. So far I've watched 6 episodes. I get from Netflix and I only get 3 DVDs at a time, so I don't remember how many episodes there are in this first season, maybe 12? And then it looks like only one more season after that.
Have you seen it?
Like? No like?

Labels:

7 Comments

  1. I loved Carnivale! I didn't get a chance to watch it on HBO but I did netflix all two seasons around Christmas this year...It's crazy but it definetly keeps your interest. The main male character is kind of boring sometimes but the series makes up for it in its rich backup cast.

    Glad to see you watching it! Hope you enjoy it!


  2. Interesting...

    I have never watched it, but imdb.com says that there were only two seasons, 12 episodes each, and that many of the hanging plot threads were never answered.

    And here's where I fold like a wet handkerchief: I hate having unanswered questions when a series is cancelled! Firefly anyone? grrrrrrrr


  3. Never heard of this series. I finally started watching the second season of The Tudors. I really liked the first season.


  4. I've never heard of it but it sounds interesting! See what a hole I live in by not watching tv? lol


  5. the second season is soooo much better !
    for the hanging plot threads ,it did bug me a bit but wiki and imdb answers them quite well.
    don't you love brother Justin ?ohhhhhh the irony......


  6. My best friend loved (and devoured) Carnivale. I still haven't watched it yet *hangs head*

    And here's where I fold like a wet handkerchief: I hate having unanswered questions when a series is cancelled! Firefly anyone? grrrrrrrrDare I mention...The Pretender *zips mouth closed before ranting begins*


  7. I loooved this show. But then of course they had to go an cancel it. Damn people!

    "Let's shake some dust!"


Post a Comment