Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Sunday, May 03, 2009:
Gardellas: The end of the series...
Photobucket


Colleen Gleason is an evil genius, and I love her for it. Not only did she play into my deep love of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, which I consider to be one of my all-time favorite t.v. shows evah, she also managed to create a wonderfully effective way to extend the characters' journey to get to their HEA. I believe the series was all the stronger for it.

However knowing it was going to end, I totally dragged my feet about reading the fifth, and last, installment. It was also very evident even before this book who Victoria would end up choosing as her man. This didn't bother me, but I was pretty much in the other camp through most of the series, and was saddened that my guy didn't have a happier ending. Don't get me wrong - I totally got why Illa Gardella chose the man she did, and I know a huge number of fans couldn't have agreed more, and rightfully so. He was probably the more perfect foil for her, and had the strength to accomplish the most difficult tasks, ones that ended up breaking my heart, but had to be done for the good of the world (and to make the series even more effective). Victoria, or maybe I should have said her heart, chose wisely.

Of course that doesn't mean I wanted the other guy to suffer. I genuinely loved him. He was my favorite from the beginning, but it was clear that he would not be the one that stole Victoria's heart. It's hard to put into words exactly why, but there was just something missing in the connection between him and Victoria. In the end he still made a great sacrifice for her, but he wasn't quite the hero Victoria deserved. Yet instead of becoming less worthy of her throughout the series, he became moreso as his love for her grew. And that was one of the reasons it was so sad to see him lose, because he is a very worthy hero, just not Victoria's hero. It's like if you take strawberry and vanilla ice cream - together they taste really good, but not quite as good as chocolate and vanilla do. Strawberry and vanilla is still a good combination, but just not as perfect as chocolate and vanilla. Of course if you don't like these flavors, it's a moot point, but I think you know where I'm going with this.

So. The last book is over. Victoria vanquished the evil and finds true love, although their lives will never be easy, as Victoria is THE vampire slayer and evil never dies (at least not according to those "Halloween" movies). But, really, that's IT? No more? I remember a visit from Colleen last summer where we talked about the idea of contemporary Venators. Why couldn't someone from Victoria's lineage come to the states? Wouldn't that be wonderful? I'm thinking it would be. Colleen, can you get on that?

Which series did you hate to see come to an end?

Labels: ,

10 Comments

  1. I REALLY have to read this series. I first saw it I believe at DIK, then at Anna's book blog. It sounds sooo good. Okay, I'm buying it. Seriously. No more saying I will.


  2. yey! you are starting Carnival ?
    please tell us what you think of it !
    It's my favorite of all time ,creepy and refreshing


  3. I LOVED this series. I am totally on team Max. I think I had minor depression when the series ended. Good thing I can reread:)


  4. I haven't read this series, and have read nothing but great reviews about it. *sigh* So much to read, so little time.

    Which series would I hate to see end?

    Lara Adrian's Midnight Breed series. I love that lady! lol

    Best Regards
    L


  5. Did you LOVE the UATW scene? She wrote that one for me!! LOL!

    I loved this series. I'm sorry to see it end because I always look forward to the books so much. But she ended it so perfectly, I couldn't complain too much.


  6. Barbara, I think if you love BtVS, you will love this series. Go on, give it a try ;)

    Pidute, yes, I have, and whoa, you wouldn't think it, but it totally gets under your skin. I've watched 6 of the 12 episodes so far. The "Babylon" epi, at the end, with Dora Mae - shudder. Gave me the creeps thinking about it.

    Mandi, I cried through about the ast 1/3 of the book, for many reasons. Seeing it end was definitely one of them, and I'm a huge re-reader, so I like that plan :)

    Lea, I know, but read it. (whispers) Read it. So good. I read book #1 of Lara Adrian's series, and because I was reading the BDB series along the same time, I couldn't get into it, but I hear it keeps getting better. I have the next 2 books.

    Kati, what a tribute - your very own UATW scene. Very hot 'n sexy. Loved it. I know you were quite satisfied by the end. I'll be forever grateful you pimped it out so well.


  7. Wow! This is lovely. Thank you so much.

    I'm so glad you "got" why Vic chose who she did--you did a great job explaining it! Vanilla and strawberry v. vanilla and chocolate! So perfect.

    Thanks for the lovely tribute. Hope to see you again in person soon!!


  8. Babylon was scary and the second season (IMO)is the best it move much faster


  9. Colleen, you totally wrecked me, but it was such an amazing series, I can't complain. I just know I'm going to miss it something fierce. What else is Ms. Gleason working on?

    Pidute, very scary. I finished episodes 7-8 last night, and they were very slooow. Looking forward to it speeding up a bit.


  10. I have to catch up with this series and now that its over, I get to read from the beginning again to end!

    I can think of one series I wished would have their HEA, Brenda Joyce's DEADLY series with that Fran, Rick and Cadler trio. (I saw on her site there's a email address to write to editor to ask for last book).

    I so wished they gave Moonlight from TV last year another year so that more got a chance to see it. I liked that they tied it up at the end of the series, but it was I thought so good I didn't want it to end. Being on a Friday night didn't give it the best chance.

    I still can't think of a series in book that is over and I miss. I have to look back more. I know I loved that Governess books that Christina Dodd did. I'm enjoying Jillian Hunter's Bocastle series that someone told me about a few months ago. I just need to get the recent one WICKED AS SIN but not sure if more after that one?


Post a Comment