Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Tuesday, May 12, 2009:
Special K: a decadent serving of Kresley & KMM
A mythic warrior who'll stop at nothing to possess her...

After enduring years of torture from the vampire Horde, Lachlain MacRieve, leader of the Lykae Clan, is enraged to find the predestined mate he's waited millennia for is a vampire. Or partly one. This Emmaline is a small, ethereal half Valkyrie/half vampire, who somehow begins to soothe the fury burning within him.

A vampire captured by her wildest fantasy...

Sheltered Emmaline Troy finally sets out to uncover the truth about her deceased parents--until a powerful Lykae claims her as his mate and forces her back to his ancestral Scottish castle. There, her fear of the Lykae--and their notorious dark desire--ebb as he begins a slow, wicked seduction to sate her own dark cravings.

An all consuming desire...

Yet when an ancient evil from her past resurfaces, will their desire deepen into a love that can bring a proud warrior to his knees and turn a gentle beauty into the fighter she was born to be...?
So as I mentioned in a recent post, I'm totally into Kresley Cole these days. I just finished this one last week, and already I'm clamoring for more. Yes, I am rather mad at myself for putting this series off for so long. But I keep reminding myself that I probably wouldn't have liked it back then based on my aversion to most of the paranormal stories that were being released in droves. My kind and dear visitor, I tended to be a paranormal snob, and had no clue as to what I was missing. It's been a gradual process, but I think I am finally on my way to appreciating the lure of the paranormal (though probably not this book cover. Is it just me, or does the hero come across as uber creepy?)

So just to give you a little info about the story (for the 2 or 3 people that haven't already read it), Emmaline is the only living female vampire left in existence, as well as being half Valkarie. She's a timid little thing, practically afraid of her own shadow, yet that doesn't stop Lachlain from trying to claim her as his true mate. Being a werewolf, he's most disgusted that she is one of those hated vampires, and has no qualms about letting her know it. Yet he cannot deny that her presence soothes him as much as it inflames him. For her part, Emmaline has no wish to spend time with the bullying, cruel Scot, yet since having been coerced into driving him to his beloved estate, Emma realizes that many of the things she's feared all her life have all occurred while in the presence of Lachlain, yet still she lives. Maybe there's something to this "mate as in not an Australian buddy" business after all....

Because AHLNO was so thoroughly entertaining and addictive, I am dying to get a hold of the next book while at the same time being a little nervous about those dreaded high expectations. Still, I think Ms. Cole has created several interesting characters and plotlines to keep me entertained for hours. Yep, I'm lovin' it...

An alluring laird...

He was known throughout the kingdom as Hawk, legendary predator of the battlefield and the boudoir. No woman could refuse his touch, but no woman ever stirred his heart - until a vengeful fairy tumbled Adrienne de Simone out of modern-day Seattle and into medieval Scotland. Captive in a century not her own, entirely too bold, too outspoken, she was an irresistible challenge to the sixteenth-century rogue. Coerced into a marriage with Hawk, Adrienne vowed to keep him at arm's length - but his sweet seduction played havoc with her resolve.

A prisoner in time...

She had a perfect "no" on her perfect lips for the notorious laird, but Hawk swore she would whisper his name with desire, begging for the passion he longed to ignite within her. Not even the barriers of time and space would keep him from winning her love. Despite her uncertainty about following the promptings of her own passionate heart, Adrienne's reservations were no match for Hawk's determination to keep her by his side....

This is yet another example of a well-known series I hadn't read, until I picked up book #1 out of my TBR pile this weekend and devoured it. Though not quite as engaging as Kresley's series, I nevertheless had some trouble putting Karen Marie Moning's BTHM aside when I really had things I needed to get done. This book was released in 1999, and it's one I've been hearing about for almost that long. A few years ago, several of the books were on sale for $3.99/each (with the added incentive of Nathan on the cover), so I grabbed up the first 5 releases, but they languished in the pile for quite some time. Don't ask me why, cuz I have no clue. I luv Highlanders (especially if I imagine they all look like Gerard Butler) and the time travel element reminded me a bit of the series about one of my favorite Highlanders, Jamie Fraser, whom I love and adore. Yet still they sat, neglected. But for once I said "enough is enuff" and put aside newer releases for a bit of Scottish charm.

Now I'll be honest here, there were parts of this book that irritated the stuffing outta me. I wanted to simultaneously smack Hawk and Adrienne for their bull-headedness, and have them get on with it already! And Adam, well, I understand he gets his own later in the series, but oh, talk about messing with true love. He's got some redeeming to do, me thinks, before I can begin to forgive him. Yet I've heard some good things about this series, and will probably be picking up the next one in the not too distant future. It feels good to finally be making a tiny dent in the old TBR pile.

So, do tell: Immortals or Highlanders?

And just which Highlander is your favorite?

Labels: ,

13 Comments

  1. I loved "A Hunger Like No Other" and have just begun to dig into this author's books.


  2. Hi Stacy,
    You have read two of my all time favorite authors. For me book two of KC - NRFTW is even better then book one with a legendary hunt called The Hie to spice it up even more.

    With Moning I can only say that the series gets better and better with each book. Adam Black, who you've met is a recurring character and Dageus *sigh* and Cian MacKeltar *dreamy eyes*

    I just can't choose between the two...Immortals or Highlanders, can I have them sandwich me?

    Hugs,
    Leontine


  3. ooh, the Cole series are just delish and they get BETTER as you go along. What fun you are going to have.

    As for the other...um, I'd best not say. I read one and found it so uber-cheezy I was unable to suspend disbelief. So no more for me. Although I'm shallow enough to want to hear the audiobooks for the hot scottish accent alone. lol.


  4. Mmmm, I can't wait until you get to Caedon Wode. My all time favorite demon. He's just awesome.

    I like the Moning books just fine, but am not in love with them. I find they all run together for me.

    So glad you're enjoying Kresley's work. She's fab!


  5. A Hunger Like No Other is great sexy cheese. Give me more! :D
    Love Cole's books. Her historicals are great also.


  6. MsMoonlight, I'm so glad I started reading these. I hope you enjoy them as well.

    Leontine, I should be getting NRFTW tomorrow - can't wait! But I just started Lover Avenged so I might have to wait a bit. As for KMM, I've heard many good things about her series, and finally decided to give it a try. I'm with you on the sandwich ;)

    Sula, I hear ya. As for KMM, I can tell from the first book there are some elements that don't sell me completely, but I'm willing to give it a shot. I'm a rather forgiving reader that way. I don't do audiobooks, but to hear that Scottish accent, I might have to change my mind!

    Kati, don't tease me! I have long enough to wait as it is. Now you know I'm gonna go check out more on Caedon.

    KB, I love cheese *g* Give me more.


  7. This comment has been removed by the author.


  8. sorry about the above post *eek* This is what i wanted to say without the errors LOL

    At the moment my copy of LA is somewhere sight-seeing the US or flying over the ocean and can't wait to get my greedy little hands on it *wicked grin* I hope to read a blogpost of your encounter with LA soon Stacy and have fun with NRFTW!


  9. *choking with laughter*

    Well, m'dear, I wouldn't know--I haven't read any of Ms Moning (and somehow I don't feel compelled to either, go figure)

    Plus, I just read the first of Ms Cole's a couple of weeks ago.


  10. AHLNO wasn't my fav of the series but still good. The series just got better for me as the books went on. Enjoy!

    OMG you never read the KMM series? There were a few in there that were good and then for the most part they were great for me! I hope you really like it!


  11. I haven't read the series either - I am right in the middle of AHLNO and am absolutely loving it.

    I read a later book in the series of Moning - didn't know it was a series when I read it - so I need to go back to the beginning and start fresh!!


  12. Stacy, I have read all of KMM and LOVE her. Her Highlanders are swoon worthy. I've lost count on how many times I've re-read them.


  13. *sticks hand up*

    I haven't read either Kresley Cole or KMM...

    My kind and dear visitor, I tended to be a paranormal snob.LOL! I'm not a paranormal snob....worse...I'm a perfect/kick-a*s/feisty heroine (worse if the heroine is a combination of all three) snob :( Well...maybe not snob. They just make me feel so inadequate and worthless that it's easier not to read about them. And no, I don't expect that to make sense :)


Post a Comment