Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Friday, May 22, 2009:
"Terminator: Salvation" - meh
Photobucket


John Connor is the man fated to lead the human resistance against Skynet and its army of Terminators. But the future that Connor was raised to believe in is altered in part by the appearance of Marcus Wright, a stranger whose last memory is of being on death row. Connor must decide whether Marcus has been sent from the future, or rescued from the past. As Skynet prepares its final onslaught, Connor and Marcus both embark on an odyssey that takes them into the heart of Skynet's operations, where they uncover the terrible secret behind the possible annihilation of mankind.

I went and saw this last night, curious to see what McG had up his sleeve to revitalize the franchise. It's definitely John Connor's story, and I think Christian Bale is an ideal actor to play this grim character who is the voice of the Resistance that everyone listens to. In fact I liked all the actors, including the young man, Anton Yelchin, who portrays Kyle Reese, John's father. I definitely felt like I was looking at a younger version of Kyle, who was played by Michael Biehn back in 1984. And can you believe the original "Terminator" was out 25 years ago??? Unbelievable. Though the real Arnold and Linda Hamilton are not in the movie, they do make appearances, lending a nostalgic feel to the film.

However as much as it's said otherwise, it's not as character-driven as I would have liked. And the special effects are nothing special, not when you hold it up against the 3rd installment. I could see that the idea was to push the film further into the future, after Judgment Day has happened, and so it feels fragmented from those first 3 movies because of it. It made me long for the days of old, with kick-ass Sarah Connor. And that edge-of-your-seat tension watching Skynet send newer and deadlier robots to kill John is missing in this film. I just didn't feel that nail-biting danger. I found myself yawning throughout the film


My verdict: *** out of ***** Wait for the DVD version.


Anyone else see it? Did you like it or not?


Labels:

7 Comments

  1. Holy Terminator Stacy! It's BATMAN....

    I know - bad pun - but I couldn't help it. I just read a review regarding this movie and it received a 1.5 out of 4 stars, pretty pitiful. I don't pay too much attention to the critics but seriously??

    Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I hear "Star Trek", rocks... :)

    L


  2. OH NO! The hubby and I were looking forward to seeing this one this weekend, lol.


  3. I was thinking of seeing this this weekend. May have to choose something else now. It's supposed to be one of the big blockbusters of the summer. Hope it's not an indication of what we can expect from the rest of the bunch.

    Have a great weekend.


  4. I always have to wait for the DVD's since I need the captioning, but I haven't watched a Terminator movie since the first one! But my son and hubby are so into these thrillers! They too have to wait for the DVD. But I'm sure with the long weekend they'll be getting some new rentals, and I'm thinking of getting NORTH & SOUTH.


  5. I wondered how this movie was going to be. I might watch it when it's on DVD...if I e! Usually if my son isn't interested then I usually forget. I was a huge original Terminator fan. I used to watch that all the time when I was young. One of my favorite movies. I wasn't thrilled with the second one.


  6. Oh, too bad.

    Of all of them, the first one is still my favorite - I think it had the best story, in addition to the special effects, etc. And to top it off, it had Michael Biehn, as you pointed out. Yummy. Although, Christian Bale aint no slouch either :)


  7. I saw this movie over the weekend and while it did have it's moments overall I wasn't all that excited about it. I would give it a 3 out of 5 as well. I enjoyed many of the action scenes but like you said it wasn't as character driven as I would have liked.

    On the other hand I also saw Wolverine and was highly impressed with it. I loved pretty much everything about it....thought it was a wonderful story and would give it a 5 out of 5 and I would go see it again. To be honest I was a bit surprised by how much I liked it.


Post a Comment