Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Thursday, August 21, 2008:
Yep I'm one of those....

Photobucket

(Sorry, my blog can't fit the whole image. Click here to read the poem).

Actually, I do. Love my job, I mean. I am definitely not someone who can work at something I hate. There's just no way. What do I do that I enjoy so much, you may be wondering? I'm a, uh, loan officer at a credit union. True, not the most exciting job, and one that some people fear or even hate, but it suits me. It's not my dream job (which would involve reading fabulous romance novels while traveling to luxurious locations as I am pampered by Gerard Butler, whom I enjoy every chance I get), but it has it's advantages. Here's why:

  • There is some travel. Not to Paris or Scotland or Hawaii, but I've been able to work in several other offices - Miami, Denver, D.C., possibly San Francisco - and it is so much fun. It's almost like a mini vacation in a way.
  • Bonuses. If we make goal, we get money! Now there's no $10,000 bonus check at the end of the year, but it's a good perk. And we also get time off. In addition to my 5 weeks paid vacation, I have had several days awarded to me. Spoiled brat, I know.
  • People know me. I totally let this one go to my head. But it is pretty cool that people know who I am - it definitely is a benefit with some perks involved. And yes, people ask me questions when I am in the restroom, which is weird but all part of the job and I don't mind it. Much. Overall though, it's definitely a good thing. Can't wait til it's my birthday *g*
  • Everyone is treated the same, for the most part. Doesn't matter if it's a CEO or someone from the cleaning crew, everyone is subject to the same policies. So Mr. Big can't call me up for a favor that someone else has to sign for. Nope. He's gotta follow the procedure just like everybody else. They're all the same in my eyes.
  • The variety of people I deal with on a daily basis. Many of the members that come through our doors are airline employees, and I am constantly fascinated by what they do. I love asking questions of the pilots, and the flight dispatchers know to always bring us the latest weather report. Then there are the members whose jobs are to handle sports teams, or celebrities.
  • Helping people. I learned from my previous job that doing for others satisfies something inside me that all the money in the world couldn't fill (though I wouldn't mind giving it a try). It's an incredible feeling to help someone get that car they've always wanted, or to purchase their first home. (See, not all loan officers are minions from Hell).
  • Quitting time! Nothing better than walking out the door at 5:15pm. And not having to work weekends.

So, do you love your job?

What's so special about what you do?

Labels:

6 Comments

  1. Huh. I love what I do, but don't love my job. Does that make sense? I'm not in a good situation now, but expect to be making a change before the end of the year. In the mean time, I'm damn good at what I do, and love the challenge of it.

    It speaks to my completely anal retentive side. Go figure.


  2. Wow - you make it sound so interesting!

    I do love my job, but it's so slow right now that it gets a little boring and I hate that! I want to be busy ALL the time, not just part of it. :)


  3. I hate my job. However, did Shannon email you? Both lisabea (noseinabook) and I are going to be in Chicago Sunday and getting tapas! It would be fun to see you, too, if you're able!


  4. I'm one of the lucky ones. I love my job. It's the first job I've had in all my many places of employment where it all comes together. I love what I do. I love the people I work with. I hang out with the people I work with after work - in fact I'm headed up to a cottage on Saturday for a week with 2 of them. I work in the health care field and every day I come home from work knowing that while I didn't help someone directly, still, what I did would have helped indirectly. While not the highest paying job in the world, I'm making better money then I have anywhere else, the benefits are fabulous and if I make a mistake (which of course I do)my coworkers and supervisors help me and don't make me feel bad.
    Can't ask for anything better than all that. And best of all - I'm proud of where I work thought I don't tell anyone on the internet *g*


  5. Kati that totally makes sense. I had that for 18 months, where I hated where I worked, but loved what I did. Hopefully everything will work out for you soon.

    Tracy, LOL, not so interesting, but I do enjoy it most of the time. Like you, I love to be busy, and hate down-time when I'm at work, especially since I can't read at those times.

    Carolyn Jean, yes she did! I have plans for Sunday night, but maybe, just maybe, I can swing it. I would hate to miss out on you guys.

    Kristie, that's awesome! Everyone should be so lucky. I'm glad you have a job you love, and people you enjoy working with. It can make all the difference in the world.


  6. Pretty much, I love my job. I enjoy the people I work with, and I'm good at what I do. There are some aspects of my job I don't like that much, but for the most part, I'm blessed.


Post a Comment