Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Friday, August 22, 2008:
Quickie reviews - books and movies
Photobucket

I've had this book by Eve Silver for awhile, having purchased it when met her 2 years ago in Atlanta at RWA, but was never in the mood for a gothic romance until recently, so I finally grabbed it off the TBR pile. The book is set in London, and poor Darcie Finch is desperate to survive. Turning to her sister, a Madame at a bawdy house, as a last resort, she is nevertheless turned away, but given one last chance: go to Dr. Damien Cole, as he may have employment for her in his home. Darcie makes haste in the night to the Dr's home, and indeed he does offer her a position as a maid. But Darcie sees and hears strange and disturbing goings-on, and isn't sure what her handsome yet mysterious employer is all about, but she can't help wondering, even as she finds herself falling for him: is Damien a cold-blooded killer, or a brilliant surgeon? Very dark, and a little disturbing with the medical experiments Damien would perform in his laboratory, though maybe that's just me. It wasn't a bad read, but I couldn't really connect with the characters, though at times I did feel Darcie's extreme desperation and Damien's pain. They were likeable enough, but I just wasn't feeling this book. I would like to read more by this author, and I know her alter ego, Eve Kenin, seems to have a following. So while it wasn't my thing, I would be willing to give her another try.



Photobucket

Jill Shalvis, always a favorite. I really enjoyed the first one, "Flashpoint", which involved an arsonist and the impact it has on the firestation, and this book concludes that storyline to my satisfaction. I adore the firefighters, how close they are to each other, yet sympathize with them for their crazy, exhausting schedules, which I'm sure in some parts of the country, it is realistic. (My heartfelt thanks to firefighters everywhere, some of our most amazing heroes). Jill stays a little more serious here than with some of her Bravas, telling the story of Kenzie and Aidan, former lovers who end up back in each other's lives after many years apart. I enjoyed the continued development of their relationship, their potent attraction to each other, and how now, years later, they've grown up and are finally ready to really love each other. Jill pays tribute to these amazing men and women, and I look forward to reading more about these special firefighters who wormed their way into my heart.

Photobucket

My co-worker Karen told me about this movie after I had seen "Bride & Prejudice", so I added it to my Netflix Q and finally got it a few weeks ago. Talk about Drama! This movie tells the story of one Indian family whose daughter is getting married, and all the chaos that ensues. The daughter meets her intended for the first time when he comes to India from the U.S. She is in love with another man who happens to already be married, yet she can't resist seeing him the night before her wedding. Her father is having financial difficulties paying for the elaborate wedding expected and it's stressing him out. His niece has a painful secret that is revealed as the wedding day approaches. Humor can be found in the form in the marigold-chomping wedding coordinator who ends up falling in love with the family maid. It is a mixture of new and old traditions and values, with happiness, sadness, and skeletons in the closet. I liked this movie very much, and would like to go back and watch it again to see what I missed the first time around.
Photobucket

I had seen the preview for this movie several times, and thought it looked funny and interesting. Uma Thurman is recently divorced, and shares her doubts about her future with her therapist, played by Meryl Streep, who tells Uma's character not to be so hard on herself. Uma then meets a young man who catches her eye, but he's considerably younger than her. Still that doesn't stop the two from acting on their strong attraction. While Uma feels guilty, she's also enjoying herself in a way she hasn't in a long time, and Meryl is pleased to see her client so happy...until she finds out the young man Uma is seeing is her own son, then she's not so pleased. It's funny, sweet, poignant, and about two people who meet each other and fall in love, and have to figure out if what they have together is enough to last a lifetime. Not as funny as I'd hoped, but it was still a good movie.

Photobucket


My first book by Colette Gale, and a take on "The Phantom of the Opera", which I have never read or seen, I admit. Not even the Gerard Butler version, which must be a crime. So while I knew the general idea behind it, I don't know what details in this book mirrored those from POTO, and which were different, other than the man that Christine chooses in the end. I liked watching Christine and Erik fall in love, and that Christine knew almost from the beginning that he was the man for her, yet she betrays his trust, and he sends her away, which pains them both. Her other suitor, Raoul, is rich and influential, with a powerful older brother who lusts for Christine himself. All the elements of an intriguing erotic romance. However, I just didn't find it all that erotic. I wanted to, I really did, but I wasn't moved by most of the sex scenes, and at times found myself skimming pages, waiting for it to grab my attention. I loved the books under the other name of this author, but this one didn't capture me, so I don't know that I'll be grabbing the book based on the Count of Monte Cristo. Now I do understand she is writing a book about the legend of Robin Hood, so I might give that one a go (images of Richard Armitage come to mind here).

What are you watching or reading?

Labels:

11 Comments

  1. I am a big fan of the Phantom of the Opera and don't even get me started on Gerry because I adored him in the movie. But with Unmasqued, I was disturbed. Bleck. Fun with a harp and brother-cest is not my cup of tea.
    But I can't wait to read the erotic version of Robin Hood :D


  2. WAIT! No review of Trial by Fire?? I was SO hoping to hear how you liked it.

    I loved Unmasqued and loved Master. I think what works for me is how *well* Gale writes. I mean, we knew she wrote well because hello? Gardellas! But I thought that both were decidedly dark in flavor and that worked for me. Plus, I don't have the fan of Phantom thing going on, so I couldn't have cared less how the book turned out. But I get how outraged the fans of PoTO would be. I'm a huge fan of the Count of Monte Cristo, and I loved Master as well.

    I love that she's doing the Sheriff of Nottingham next. LOVE him, especially if he looks like Richard Armitage!


  3. Hmmm... sad to hear you were not impressed with Unmasked. I was really hoping you would like it. I love PotO, so not sure if I should snag the book.


  4. I'm still reading all the Dark Hunters again. I'm on Night Play right now.


  5. Really excellent review. I read Dark Desires, too, and I just wasn't into it, but I'm sure her Kenin stuff will be better.

    Fern


  6. I had mixed feelings about Unmasqued. But I would definitely read more by Gale.

    Monsoon Wedding is an excellent film. I remember going to an arty movie theatre to see it when it first came out. It really touches on so many emotions. Laughter, tears, the whole gamut. I'd definitely recommend it.


  7. I love Jill's firefighter series and look forward to more of the special guys in the future.

    I am not one for too much TV - but have got hooked on the new program Flashpoint. As for movies I have some that I want to watch, but I just seem to never have enough time. They are now beginning to look like a TBV pile.......lol but nothing rivals the TBR piles.


  8. I've never seen Phamtom either but I really want to. I had a teacher in fourth grade named Mr. Rose. He was really cool. Everday after lunch he'd dim the lights, have us put our head down on the desk and play music from Phantom or other stuff like that for us to relax. It was really neat. I should see the Gerard version too :)


  9. Movie wise, I just watched The Jane Austen Book Club. I was very cute. They read a book a month and then one person had been selected to lead the discussion. That person's real life though if you paid attention followed the story that they were to lead. (i.e. one of them was playing match maker and ended up falling for him herself, she was presenting Emma). I highly recommend it.


  10. I'm still disappointed I never got to see you at RWA. Next year, we plan a meet!!! Glad you enjoyed the firefighters in Flashback and Flashpoint!


  11. Katie, I have to agree. The writing was good, but I just didn't care for the whole weirdness with the brothers and Raoul's justification of his actions toward Christine. And yeah, I'm all for the Robin Hood story though.

    MK, I am working on my "Trial By Fire" review, but I want it to really get across the greatness of this book. I've re-read parts of it (bet you can guess which ones *g*) And yeah, Colette/Colleen is a wonderful writer, I just didn't go for this book.

    Shannon, you never know, you might like Unmasqued. It's not a bad book, just not my cuppa. (Great seeing you Saturday!)

    Kelley! I know, I need to get caught up on my books. I just need to win the lottery so I can quit my job and read, read, read!

    Fern, I agree, or maybe gothic isn't my thing. I was a tad bit squeamish over the doctor's experiments too.

    Sula, I would read more Gale too. And this week, I've been thinking a lot about Monsoon Wedding. I love it when a movie stays with you and makes you think.

    Cryna, luckily the to be watched pile is much, much smaller LOL.

    Kel, I definitely need to watch the Gerard version, only cuz he's in it ;)

    Jill! I know, I know. Are you going to D.C. next year? Not sure if I am, but definitely Nashville.


Post a Comment