Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Monday, December 31, 2007:
ATTN: "Thank you" contest - all about giving....
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
- STICKY POST -
(scroll down for updated posts)
CONTEST!
It's the holidays, and part of the season is the opportunity to give back in some way. I was trying to think of a way to be more involved, and one thing that came to me, inspired by one of my favorite authors, Lori Foster, was about counting my blessings and helping those who need a little extra.
Well, kids are definitely one of my weaknesses, and the thought of a sick child hurts my heart. Every year I contribute to the Children's Memorial Hospital, located here in Chicago but one that has patients from all over the world. Every year they help so many sick kids, and the spirit and love and caring of the people involved with the hospital is so inspiring to me.
So.....here are the prizes:
  • 1st place: 1-year subscription to Romantic Times Magazine
  • 2nd place: the first 3 books in Lynn Viehl's Darkyn vampire series
  • 3rd place: Copy of Dark Lover by J.R. Ward
  • 4th place: $10 Borders gift certificate

Here's how you win them:

First prize: RT Subscription: everyone who sends me a check or money, made payable to the Children's Memorial Foundation, for $5.00 (five U.S. Dollars), will be entered to win a subscription. You can donate more than $5.00 if you wish, and every five (5) dollar increment ($10, $15, $20) will enter you an additional time. So if you donate $15, you will get three (3) entries for the subscription.

- Open to U.S. residents only (sorry). Check/money order must be received by December 31, 2007 to qualify.

Second, third & fourth prizes: Just leave a quick comment talking about your favorite cause or charity. Feel free to share why this cause is so important to you.

Thank you for being a part of my blog, for visiting and commenting, for sharing a love of romances and movies and hotties. You are are really wonderful, and I appreciate how truly giving and thoughtful and caring you all are. Happy holidays to you and yours :)

(Hint: click on the comments to find out where to send the check)

Labels: , ,

13 Comments

  1. Checks made payable to the Children's Memorial Foundation can be sent to me at:

    Stacy Ahlgren
    2944 S Briarwood Dr
    Mt Prospect, IL 60056


  2. I've been an annual donor to MDA most of my life. Plus I raise money at work (by selling candles) for our local Children's Hospital. I never needed it, but I have had 2 cousins use the burn unit. Stacy - this is a wonderful contest - Good Luck.


  3. Hi Stacy

    I think what you are doing is terrific.

    We have The Alberta Children's Hospital here in Calgary. Every year they have a radiothon for three days in November - we hear stories some with happy endings and some without - but definately a tissue time.

    On the radiothon this year they raised 1.6 million dollars from the donations. All money goes to the hospital for equipment - as all expenses are taken care of by the radio station, the forresters and a couple big corporations. All the phones are handled by volunteers. It was the most successful radiothon ever.

    Good luck with this contest and it is great thing to do. Huge Hugs.


  4. This past summer one of my good friends passed away due to complications with his life long struggle with Cystic Fibrosis.He was just shy of his 27th birthday. 3 months prior to that, his older also passed away from complications with Cystic Fibrosis. They were the only two children in the family. Friends and family have been brainstorming ways to raise money for the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation ( http://www.cff.org/ ).

    My friend Steve spent a lot (too much) of his time at the Children's Hospital here in Columbus...This is an awesome contest....perhaps something I should think about for raising funds for CF.... :)


  5. Wow, this is amazing. Not that I'd expect anything less. I am touched by your stories. Thank you for sharing them.

    Mollie, I was inspired by my friend Laurie, who collects every year for the troops, and by Lori Foster, who has a contest going on for St. Jude's. Just a small gesture can make a huge difference.


  6. Ronald MacDonald House is an important charity to my family. My neice has a lot of health problems and the Ronald MacDonald House has always been there for us.


  7. What a wonderful idea!!

    The Ronald McDonald House and March of Dimes are a fave charities of mine. When my sis-in-law went into labor too early, the local hospital was not equipped to deal with premature infants so they took her to another city far from thier home. My brother and sister-in-law had nowhere to stay close to the hospital. So they were able to stay in a Ronald McDonald house until the twins were able to come home. They were in the hospital for weeks so it could have been a costly experience if not for the Ronald McDonald house.


  8. What a great person you are Stacy! Such a nice thing to do.


  9. Stacy,
    You're such an angel! This is a wonderful contest - I'm putting a check in the mail to you today. Anything to benefit children, especially those with a special need, is extra special - just like you!
    Big hugs!


  10. Great contest idea Stacy. I try and contribute to St Jude's and Riley Children's hospitals each year.

    You having a nice holiday season?


  11. My favourite charity is VON - I don't know if they have that in the US or not - but it stands for Victorian Order of Nurses. They are made up of nurses and or personal support workers that will come to your home to help with nursing. When Ron was so ill, they made regular visits to check in with him. When he really got bad there was one in particular that he really liked and trusted. One day near the end, he was so sick and so scared he only wanted Jessica. Though it was her day off, the got in touch with her and she came over. She was the one who convinced him he needed to go to the hospital.
    I admire the whole group of the very, very much. They aren't paid as much as nurses who work in hospitals and when the enter a person's home, often they are walking into the unknown. Because I work in the health care field now, I see even more of what they do and what a dedicated group of people they are.
    When Ron died, we asked that any donations go to them. Although it was cancer that took him, it was the VON who gave him such good care


  12. Oh Kristie that's an amazing story. Thank you so much for sharing. Hugs, sweetie.


  13. Awesome thinking. I give to a wide variety of people -- environmental and educational are two of my favorites. And literacy. That is so important to me, it needs to stand on its own.


Post a Comment