Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Sunday, March 11, 2007:
"Blood Secrets" by Vivi Anna (March 2007)
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
ISBN-10: 0373617585
ISBN-13: 978-0373617586
Caine Valorian and his Otherworld Crime Unit crack all the unusual cases before any humans take notice. When a young woman is found ritualistically murdered it's his team of professionals with paranormal gifts who must stop the nameless evil stalking the streets. But the toughest case of Caine's 200-year career gets even harder when a new member, Eve Grant, is assigned to their unit. Not only is she green and eager to impress, she's human.

As they sink deeper into the workings of the case, Caine's attraction to the alluring Eve is causing his blood to boil. And with war brewing between species, the all-consuming passion between a human and a vampire won't be the only thing to spill on the city's mean streets.—
Vivi Anna has taken the paranormal to a different yet intriguing level in this sexy new Nocturne series. I was not looking to get into yet another book about vampires, but when I read that the idea was inspired by one of my favorite t.v. shows - CSI - I couldn't resist checking it out, and boy am I glad I did.
If you've ever watched the show, then you know it's about a team of forensic investigators who use evidence and science to solve crimes and murder cases. It's a fascinating process, and each individual has their own special talents that come in handy while working on a case. Vivi Anna has taken the concept of CSI, mixed it with some paranormal elements to make it uniquely her own world, and the result is a city known as Necropolis, a place that houses secrets and mixed races, with little to no interaction with humans. Now that's about to change.
When a woman is killed in Necropolis, drained of all her blood, Caine Valorian knows things could get really ugly. And it does, especially when the politians get involved, and Caine and his team are forced to work with a liaison from another lab in order to solve the case. Yet not just any liaison, but a human one. Eve Grant has volunteered for the job, not having a clue what she's up against, and now can't decide what's more dangerous: dealing with vampires, lycans and witches, or her overwhelming attraction to Caine. But she must put all that aside to help solve a murder before there any any more victims.
Working together brings Caine and Eve closer, and their feelings inevitably become stronger. Caine can see she's beautiful, and knows her scent intoxicates him, but her intelligence and dedication to the case earn his respect and admiration. Eve knows she was attracted to Caine from that first moment, but behind his reserve is a man of strong passion and honor, one who's been hurt in the past and doesn't wish to go back to that place. Will they be able to settle their differences to be together, or is the gap just too big to overcome?
Boy, where do I start? I love the whole concept of the book, the different species and their special strengths and weaknesses. I like that Caine isn't a brooding, depressed vampire who tries to control Eve, but instead is more reserved, though passionate about his work, and who respects Eve just as much as he's attracted to her. I like that Eve had to prove herself to the team, and did so with her brains and her bravery. Once she realized just how vulnerable a human is in Necropolis, she didn't disregard the danger and go off on her own to investigate, which made me like her even more.
I can't wait to learn more about the other members of the team: Jace, a Lycan with a hot temper and territorial issues, Lyra, a witch who talks to her dead grandmother, Kellen, a bad boy who works with explosives and ballistics, and who claims to throw a hell of a party, not to mention Gwen, Mahina, and Givon. The cast of characters is diverse, and I want to know more about each and every of them. Plus, Vivi has left a few questions about Eve and Caine unanswered (at least I think she has), so I'm hoping we'll see more of them and how their relationship progresses. She's definitely left me wanting more!
You can get "Blood Secrets" here, and check out Vivi's site for the latest releases.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments

  1. Mmm, I loved this book. I love Vivi's heroines, as usually they are kickass and just a little scary. But Eve was such a lovely and refreshing change. She's smart, and has a slightly smart mouth, but she's under no illusions that she can match strength with the Others. She uses her wit and brains to get through and at no time resorts to "stupid heroine" behavior.

    I couldn't agree more with you, Stace, Vivi has knocked it out of the park with this one. I can't wait to read more! In fact, I'm pretty enchanted with the whole Nocturne line.


  2. I loved this book too, I recommend it to anyone that has not read it yet. I love heroines who can think for themselves and are also smart enough to get out of the way when needed.


  3. Thank you Stacy, MK and Kris.

    *big wet sloppy kisses*


  4. Oh no-I've seen this book on the shelves everywhere and I can feel my resolve growing weaker and weaker! LOL I really want to read this book.


Post a Comment