Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Monday, October 30, 2006:
Happy birthday, little brother
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Speaking of birthdays, today is one of my brother's birthdays. Darin is the middle child (I'm the oldest) and we were born one year and 19 days apart. My parents were born 19 days apart. I just think that's kinda cool.
So Darin is somewhere out there, celebrating I would guess. He moved to Arizona from Minnesota years ago, and we haven't heard from him since. He still keeps in touch with some friends, who usually let my mom know what he's up to, so we know he's still alive. Last I'd heard, he was a roadie for Metallica, which must be the closest thing to his dream job. Good for him.
He and I have always butted heads. I was always the "good kid", the one who never got in trouble in school and who, at least through the 6th grade, was the top student. For him, all he heard about was how "good" his sister was in school, and his entry into academia was rather different. He got in trouble from the first day he went to kindergarten, broke stuff, be-friended the other kids who were the got sent to detention, quietly challenged authority, and for the most part, was bored. He didn't get into fights, but he didn't really care about school. See, I was smart, but he was really, really smart. He had long hair and wore black and looked like he just rolled out of bed, but beyond all that was a brain waiting to be challenged. We didn't really have programs for gifted kids, so his intelligence pretty much lay dormant, waiting for that spark.
When I was in the 8th or 9th grade, my mom had had enough of his behavior and took him to a pyschologist (this was after the couple of sessions of unsuccessful counseling the whole family went to for various reasons) and my brother was given a test, basically to profile him and tell the doctors what his problem was. Well, leave it to my brother to beat that test, in which the end results pointed to everyone else but him having a problem. Rather clever of him. The brat.
So Darin, wherever you are, happy birthday. I hope you're spending it with people who care about you, and who've made you truly happy. Here's to many more. Lova ya...

5 Comments

  1. Awww, your such a sweet sister. Beyond all your differances there's lots of love.

    Happy birthday Stacy's brother!!!


  2. Happy Birthday little brother!!

    You're a good sister. :P But I believe little bros are meant to test us-I've got two (10 and 12) so I'm tested on a regular basis. LOL


  3. Very sweet! I hope he's having a great birthday!

    Jen


  4. Awww...so your brother doesn't keep in touch with you guys? I'm sorry to hear. Happy bday wherever he is and I hope he calls you or your parents soon. :-)


  5. Awwww, that's a good sister for you!!! Happy Belated Birthday to your brother, I hope wherever he is, he's happy and well...

    ((((Stacy)))))


Post a Comment