Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Sunday, October 22, 2006:
"Sex, Lies, and Online Dating" Rachel Gibson
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Mass Market Paperback: 384 pages
Publisher: Avon (January 31, 2006)
Language: English
ISBN: 0060772913
SEX…What is it about men anyway? Bad cars, bad jobs, even bad teeth, nothing convinces them that they can’t snare a Size Two Babe with a D cup chest. And after way too many internet dates with men named “luvstick” and “Bigdaddy182”, Lucy Rothschild should know.

LIES…But sitting across from her now is hardluvman, and he seems different — sensitive, honest, and hot! He says he’s a plumber, while Lucy claims she’s a nurse! She’s really a mystery writer, dating on line while researching her next book. Hey, everyone lies a little, don’t they?

AND ONLINE DATING…But Quinn’s really an undercover cop hunting down a serial killer, and he sees Lucy as one of his top suspects. And while he could really go for this smart, sexy woman with the killer bod — if that’s the only thing “killer” about her — he knows he needs to wine and dine her and discover the truth. Hey, he realized the dating scene can be deadly — but this is ridiculous!
I've had this one in my TBR pile for quite some time, and I've been experiencing another reading slump, so I thought I'd pick this one up and see if it helped. Rachel Gibson usually can lighten my mood and make me enjoy reading again.
For the most part, it worked. Quinn is one hot hero, though there were moments I wanted to bop him on the head for being such a "guy", and possibly not the sharpest knife in the drawer, but then we wouldn't have our reasons for saving the heroine, now would we? I thought Lucy was smarter than most of Gibson's heroines, and I enjoyed learning more about the writing process from her brainstorming sessions with her pals and her speech at a Women of Mystery meeting. Little tidbits like that intrigue this reader.
But I felt the "oomph" was missing. Everything seemed to progress so quickly within about a week or so's time, and it just seemed a bit rushed. Where was the drawn-out sexual tension that made both the characters slowly go insane? Where was the trademark Gibson bantering? Something was missing, and I think it was because of how short of a time span the book covered. To clarify, I didn't hate the book, I just felt that it was not what I was used to from Ms. Gibson. For example, this isn't "See Jane Score", which is my all time favorite RG book. Now that book rocked.
Which reminds me, I did enjoy the hockey game because I just loooove hockey, and I appreciated Lucy's love for the game as well. I adored her friendship with her pals, and how they each brought something different to the table. So there were some definite pluses in the story, and I already have "I'm In No Mood For Love" waiting in the wings.
It did make me wonder though: has anyone ever done the "online dating" thing? I haven't, but I had a friend who met someone and it was perfect....for awhile. He ended up having a lot of baggage, but that's another story. Would you ever meet someone online? Why or why not?

3 Comments

  1. I read this a while ago, and I need to do a reread before I read any other RG books. This was the first RG I ever read. I liked it. Enough to buy some of her other titles.

    As for online dating-never tried it and I doubt I would meet someone I ever met online. But I know someone who married a man they met online and they're still together. And my cousin is dating a man she met online. Different strokes for different folks. LOL


  2. I tried online dating once ~ we'd written a few emails back and forth for a few weeks when he asked me to meet him for drinks. Before I could answer, I read a newspaper article about him. About he'd been arrested for stalking and for attempting to hire someone to murder his ex-girlfriend. I deleted profile and haven't tried online dating since.


  3. I was married long before online dating ever came into being, thank goodness.

    This one was ok, not fantastic, but good for an RG "Calgon Take Me Away" afternoon read. That's why I love RG.

    I don't know what it is about SJS, but it is my fave RG book, too, as well as being one of my all time favorite re-reads, too. Everyone I know says it's their favortite RG book. I can't put my finger on it, but I just love that book!

    She's gonna have a hard time ever topping that one. The hero in I'm in No Mood for Love is friends with Jane and Luc, though *g*.


Post a Comment