Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Tuesday, October 17, 2006:
It's fun to say...
...loquacious, don't you think? How about myriad? Or ecstasy? Don't you just love these words? There are so many of them that are fun to say, to enuciate, clever words that just roll off the tip of your tongue. Echo. Lyrical. Karma. Words that are so sensual and bring to mind many decadent images. Delicious. Unusual. Wicked.
I think another reason I like words so much is that most people don't really say a lot of different ones when they speak, so to hear a word I haven't heard very often is such a treat for my ears. My mom loves to swear - in fact I'm sure on of the first words I ever learned was one of profanity - and out of the 10 to 15 words she utilizes regularly, after "the", "a", "but", "NO", there are not a lot of choices left to choose from. I think it's made me very conscious of my own vocabulary and I (hopefully) try to incorporate new words every once in awhile...as long as I know what they mean. But I believe readers have a better grasp of words - that seems like a pretty obvious conclusion.
And words are so amazing. I love people who articulate their thoughts in creative ways, and use words and phrases that you don't hear everyday. I see a lot of people in a day, and when you ask someone how they are, the usual response is "fine", "good", or "okay". I love it when people say "fabulous", "breathing", "superb" or "resistant to change". That tells me they like to think outside the box, or at least that they want to be different. Noticeable. Intriging.
What are some of your favorite words?
Why do you like them so much?
Least favorite?

3 Comments

  1. I like fun words too! I like to say the following whenever I get a chance: advantageous, acclimated, arbitrary, ominous, and quintessential.

    Words I don't like: no, and no...that about covers it. heehee


  2. I love the words facitious, loquacious and prolific. I have a coworker and we get into word wars ~ truly.

    My niece's first word was ca-ca. Yes, I'm the guilty one. I had to change her diapers.

    Usually, when people ask me how I am, I say "Any day I get out of bed is a good day". Except for when I'm cranky. Then I say, "Do you really want to know, or should I just say fine?" Yes, usually people can tell when I'm cranky.


  3. I have quite a few favorite words but, and this isn't unusual, I can't remember them. My memory...ugh!

    I do remember forsaken being one of my faves because I was reading last night and they said that a lot.


Post a Comment