Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Wednesday, September 06, 2006:
Teresa Medeiros talks about a happy marriage
Reading romances, a lot of us probably have a rather rosy picture of what real love and commitment are all about, and wonder why we can't achieve it. Well here's some interesting advice from a romance writer who has been married for 22 years. I found it rather fascinating and enlightening, and think it's great advice to follow. You can check it out here.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Nowadays, it seems like a lot of people head straight for divorce court once things get a little tough instead of taking the time to work things out. It's all about the instant gratification. I remember reading or hearing a comment Donald Trump made while he was still married to Marla Maples. It went something like "you shouldn't have to work to have the ideal marriage. If it's real, it will just happen." I never understood that attitude. For someone who put all his efforts and energy into succeeding in the business world, he apparently had no desire to succeed in his marriage. As you already know, it didn't last.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Personally, I believe one of the most important things to is talk to each other, and to be honest. And also, respect yourself and your partner. I also strongly believe that a person shouldn't settle just because they're afraid they might end up alone. Would being alone really be so bad if the alternative is to be miserable with someone? I've seen too many friends end up in dead-end relationships because of it, and believe me, there is no envy on my part.
And be honest with yourself: if you have too high expectations, you mostly likely will not be married to a romance hero. Yet is that really such a bad thing? I think some of the actions I find irresistible in a hero would not go over too well with me in real life....but that's a blog for another day. My point is, your man probably won't be the one all the women fantasize about, but as long as he's the one you fantasize about, who cares? He should be perfect for you.
What's your secret to a happy marriage/relationship? Do you believe that anything worth having worth working towards, or should it be effortless? Any words of advice?

0 Comments

Post a Comment