Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Friday, August 11, 2006:
What matters most....
I think most of us can agree that the one thing that can bring us to our knees is when anything horrible or tragic happens to a child. Children are truly God's gift, and to see anything bad happen to them can totally wreck us, and is more devastating than anything that could ever happen to ourselves. If we would take their place, we would do it in a heartbeat.
Here in Chicago, we have the Children's Memorial Hospital, a special place where "kids come first". They care for the most critically ill children. Their purpose, their whole mission in life, is to save every child. People from all over the country, all over the world, come to Children's Memorial Hospital for the best possible care their child could hope to receive. You don't have to live in Chicago to be benefit from this care, and the numerous treatments that are offered for these kids. It is a haven offered during one of the darkest storms you will ever experience.
Every year, for the last 7 years, one of my favorite radio stations, 101.9fm, the Mix, with their morning show hosts, Eric and Kathy, have a 36-hour radioathon to collect money for this facility. Throughout the radioathon, many stories are told about these amazing kids. Some of them are truly miraculous. Others will break your heart. But they will all leave you with an emotional impact that won't leave you anytime soon. I'm crying as I write this because of the strength and bravery and spirit of these beautiful children. Oh, to be so brave as an adult. If these kids don't inspire you and make you humble, I can't imagine what will.
I'm not asking you to donate. Of course, if you do, that's incredibly wonderful. But what I am asking is that you think about these kids. Read the messages from kids who received care at Children's Memorial. When you are in a hurry, when you are suffering road rage because the driver in front of you is going the speed limit, when you get the wrong order at Starbucks or even if your own child is getting on your nerves, remember these kids. And thank your lucky stars that your own are safe and healthy and that you've never had never had to experience this level of pain. Hug your babies, let them know how much you love them. Just that. Just love them.
Update: Due to the generosity of so many, Eric & Kathy collected $2,249,496.78 in donations! Thank you for making a difference!

6 Comments

  1. What a very touching post. There are times when I feel overhelmed and get frustrated with my little one and than she will do something so precious that I just thank God I have her. I need to remember to do that more often.


  2. Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes if it is not something that you are going through or see everyday, you forget.


  3. I've been listening on and off over the last several hours as I go through my day. These kids are amazing, and so are the parents, the siblings, all those doctors and volunteers. It just really gets to you, you know?

    Thanx for posting, and thinking about those kids. Kelley, give your little one a big hug, 'k?


  4. Stacy you are such a sweetie. Kids mean the world to me. I hope they raise lots of money.


  5. Gave Mckenzie a big hug; an extra one from you too!


  6. Thanks for the reminder of how precious little ones are. I can often forget that as my kids are hanging from the rafters. But the are truly gifts from God. :o)


Post a Comment