Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Monday, June 12, 2006:
What happens in Cincy...ends up on my blog...
Wow, another fabulous get-together! I'm hoping next year more people, especially those I've gotten to know on-line, will be able to attend. It is so much fun and everyone is just incredibly nice. There was an awesome basket raffle with some fabulous prizes - ipod shuffle, collections of signed books, candy, hand-made creations, such as the very talented Kelly's intarsia work, which is absolutely beautiful. And of course everyone was so relaxed that some crazy stuff went on that I believe was captured on film, including LadyB's coaster (pasties?) set that she handed out to her friends (?) as souvenirs and Christy's mom Cheryl "demonstrating" the goodies she got in the author basket she won. Let's just say that we have some pretty wicked and creative minds, and I am so bummed I didn't win a basket, especially one of those baskets *g* Even LadyB had a basket with her Amazon recommendations in it - including the infamous pickle book. Drat, didn't put enough tickets in that basket!

Btw, all proceeds for the gift baskets, cafepress t-shirts (I bought 2 really cool ones to wear to the event) and part of the proceeds from books purchased on Saturday at B&N went to the YWCA Battered Women's Shelter.

Laurie was also collecting donations for the troops - she got so much stuff I don't think there was any room left over - I'm sure she barely fit in the car with all the generous contributions she got. In conjunction with the troop donations was a collection for Ethan Biggers, a soldier who was critically injured and in a coma. His wife just had a baby on June 2, 2006.

Another collection was being taken for Eyes for Josh, a little boy who was born without his right eye and is blind in his left eye. He needs new prosthetic eyes every year and insurance companies won't pay because they consider it to be cosmetic. Just visit his website and see if your heart doesn't go out to this little guy with the big smile.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Barb, Kaleen, LuAnn McLane, LadyB, Carolyn, moi


This year I wasn't nervous like I was last year because I knew I was going to have fun and see a lot of great friends, like Judy F (aka hottie goddess), Laurie (the collector of the troop donations...and one strong hugger LOL), Joni (always keeping us on our toes with that wicked wit of hers and also a very strong hugger - my ribs are bruised *g*), Bad Barb (Um, need I say more? Psssst. Okay, she's really a sweetheart, but don't you dare tell her I told you), LadyB (our reigning princess with an incredibly amusing flair for the dramatic), as well as Carolyn, Barb S, Chris, Kathy, Kelly, Marcie, and others who made me feel right at home.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

And of course there are the authors. Lori Foster is just so down-to-earth and easy to talk to - she's always trying to make everyone feel comfortable and having a good time (and YAY! She gave me an ARC for "Murphy's Law". She is THE best!). Dianne Castell is a social butterfly who's always looking out for everyone and flitting from table to table, never taking a break. Janice Maynard is just the sweetest southern lady, with a friendly smile and nice word for everyone. LuAnn McLane is fun and sweet and her enthusiasm for music and having a good time is contagious. Erin McCarthy is so easy to talk to and loves to discuss reading and writing and spending time with fans. Sarah McCarty is funny and interesting and also easy to chat with. I didn't get to really talk with author Scamps author, Toni Blake, but I was excited to see a new release for her called "Swept Away".

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I met a bunch of new-to-me authors whose books I definitely plan on reading. On Saturday, I sat at a table with a bunch of them, including Mandy Roth, who writes for Ellora's Cave and has some incredible covers, and Barbara Satow, who was published by the same company as another new favorite author of mine, Edwina Columbia. Jessie Verino was also seated at my table, and I got a cool CD of one of her stories. Friday night, Kaleen, Bad Barb and I chatted with Melissa Lopez, who writes for Ellora's Cave. She has a hot new book out with vampires - yummy.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

All in all, it was truly a fabulous time. Billie Jo spent Friday evening teaching line-dancing, though some of us (okay, me) have absolutely no coordination, and have never mastered the Electric Slide, so I bowed out gracefully LOL. If anything scandalous or gossip-worthy went on (other than those wild pictures of Christy's mom wearing purple feathered nipple clamps) then I wasn't there to see or hear it, but that doesn't mean it didn't happen. As I said before, I just hope more people are able to go next year. So mark your calendars now for next June and start saving those pennies. I promise you won't be disappointed :)

11 Comments

  1. Hey, Stace! What a fun time. You're such a cutie! I think you got to meet such a nice bunch of women. Lori Foster is a class act. Janice Maynard is just like you say, too. I feel just like you do when I get to meet authors I've read or had a little e-thing going with.

    I wish I lived in OH. It would have been really fun to attend that. Thanks for taking the pix so we could see. Sorry I couldn't wish you well before you went; stoopid Inet cable. grrr.

    I also would have sent a message with you to say hi to a few of my favorites.

    Glad you had fun,

    Michelle

    ps I just started Swept Away and really like it a lot.


  2. I think I'll have to keep saying this - Glad that you had a great time! I love reading everyone's accounts of the weekend. It almost makes me feel like I was there! LOL
    Jodi


  3. It looks like such a great time. I have to go next year. I'm going to start saving now.


  4. Thanks for sharing your pictures and for writing about your great time on the weekend. It is so nice to be able to live it all through you guys............Thanks again.


  5. Hi Stacy. I figured out an easy way to read this. Great job on the get together. HOttie goddess huh??? I need to change my rep... LOL

    It was so great seeing everyone.


  6. Great pics, Stacy! Mine turned out lousy... and the shot of me with Johnny Depp has a glare on his chest. Talk about a disappointment! LOL. Anyway, it was great seeing you again in Cincy. :-) The weekend went by way too fast.


  7. Heck, Stacy, sounds like a great time.
    Unfortunately for me Cincy is at the other end of the state from me. Oh well. I love pictures!!


  8. Another great write up as usual and sorry bout trying to break a rib on ya! hahaha Hopefully yours isn't as sore as mine was when the doc broke it in surgery...hehehe - but hey bruised ribs can hurt just as much, eh? It was yet another fantastic time to be had - didn't think it could top last year's, but alas, it did and can only get better with each succeeding one! Glad you had fun and hopefully next year I'll get to spend even more time with you than I got to this year!


  9. That one particular gift bag I won (with the nipple clips) got a lot of use over the weekend. The get together in our room with Donna Wright Saturday night even got a game made up using things in that gift bag. I had a lot of fun and I even enjoy making a fool of myself. Great FUN! Looking forward to next year.

    Christy's Mom (Cheryl)


  10. Stacy,

    It was great to meet you at Lori Foster's Get Together. Thanks for spending some time with me.

    I really enjoy your site, by the way. I thought I was the only one in the world who knew "the song of love is a sad song.." :) (I even know who the Starblazers are...)

    Barbara


  11. Hiya!

    Thanks so much for sharing all the pics! Next year, I'll remember my camera! My daughter and I are both planning ahead.

    I can't express what a great time the OH gathering was. It was such relaxed atmosphere. So many nice people.

    Happy Fourth!
    Melissa


Post a Comment