Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Sunday, June 04, 2006:
The summertime blues....
Finally, finally, the nice sunny weather has made an appearance! (Okay, it actually showed up last weekend, but that's not the point). The temps have been in the high 70's to the low 80's, which to me is just about perfect. Add to that a slight breeze and the gorgeous yellow sun, and now you're talking!

But, see, I have this part-time job. It's at a Barnes & Noble. I work in the cafe, making all those frappuccinos and mochas and stuff. It's a fun job, not too difficult, just a lot of work. And I'm scheduled to work today. When it's so beautiful out. What a dilemma...

So, do I call in sick? Fake an emergency? Not show up? Believe me, I am tempted to do each and every one of those things. It's just a one-day-a-week gig, usually on Saturdays (I did work yesterday and was sent home cuz it was slow - yay!) but since I'm taking next weekend off, they double-booked me. Basically, I don't need the job - it's just extra pocket money (for books) and I get a great discount there. But it's summer! And the kids have graduated, so they are looking for hours. Why am I working?

Well, what have I decided to do? Go in, of course! I don't want any bad karma, and I've decided to take the summer off from the p/t job, which I'll share with the manager because I don't want to quit. I plan on going to RWA next month, so I'm requesting more time off. I'll wait til the fall, when the kids go back to school, get my day-a-week back, and all will be well. But I still wanna take today off....

So, what about you? Have you ever been faced with doing something you really wish you didn't have to do - maybe get up every morning at 4:30am? Drive 25 miles to work? How do you discipline yourself? Do you give yourself a reward? What's your motivation, and does it really work? I need some incentive....

0 Comments

Post a Comment