Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Sunday, June 25, 2006:
Getting a little "Wicked" - and loving it :)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


I've been wanting to see this production for quite some time. Through work, I was able to get "Wicked" tickets - purchased them back in February for myself, a co-worker, her daughter and daughter's boyfriend - and today was the day of the show. Let me tell you, I was so excited! The presentation was for 2pm at the wonderfully restored Oriental theatre in downtown Chicago, so I met my co-worker around 11:30am. These days, people go to plays wearing jeans, but we wanted to dress up and look nice. Before taking our seats, we had a cocktail - I opted for champagne, which gives me a pleasant buzz. I was ready for my theatrical experience.
This was only the second time I've gone to see a show - the other being "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" with Donny Osmond - and I was very impressed with the production. The costumes were gorgeous, the songs were catchy and some were rather moving, and the dialogue was amusing and at times poignant. I loved how the show refers to current events and also to "The Wizard of Oz", because who hasn't seen that classic at least 20 times? Anyway, in a lot of ways, "Wicked" was like a version of your relationship with your best girlfriend. It's definitely about friendship and the bonds between women.
I haven't read the book by Gregory Maguire, but I understand there were quite a few differences between the two versions. I'm not sure now if I want to read the book after seeing the show, but maybe someday I will. I just know that this musical was extremely enjoyable and one I hope everyone gets a chance to see. There's just something about being in a packed theatre and becoming so engrossed in the story that you forget how long the production is. It's over 3 hours long, with only one 10-minute break, which doesn't give you a lot of time to take a bathroom break before you're rushed back into the theatre before the doors are locked. Then and only then did I regret that glass of champagne LOL.
Afterwards, we went out to dinner at Tony Rocco's, an Italian restaurant owned by the mother of someone I work with. From the moment we walked in until the moment we left, the whole experience was excellent. The owner and chef took the time to greet us and came over to visit during the meal to see how we were doing, and the wait staff was attentive and considerate to our needs. The food was wonderful - I had this amazing risotto dish with shrimp, scallops, mushrooms and spinach. The martinis were strong, the chocolate mousse, teramisu and pistacchio ice cream mouth-wateringly divine, and the ambience was inviting and relaxing. So if you're ever in Chicago, look this place up.
All in all, I had a glorious day in the city. Being such a suburbanite, I rarely go downtown, but this was one opportunity I couldn't pass up. I hope to get more chances over the summer now that I've taken the next few months off from my part-time job. So...how was your weekend?

7 Comments

  1. Sounds like a fantastic day. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself so much. I long to see Romeo and Juliet on stage. I love that story and cant imagine the joy of seeing it performed!!


  2. Stacy, I have to laugh because I had never heard of "Wicked" until just this weekend someone I was with was talking about it. Then I turn on the computer and here you are talking about it. Unfortunately where I live I don't get to see many shows, but I have seen Donny's version of "Joseph" on TV. I bet it was fantastic in person because on TV it was fabulous.
    I'm glad you had a good time. :o)


  3. Yes well I hardly have much of a social life so when I do go out it's a big deal and I have to blog about it LOL. Seriously, it was awesome. Just remember: no beverages before the show - intermission is way too short!


  4. I'm the same way. I rarley get to do anything fun so I end up blogging about it when I do get to do something.
    I miss ya on my blog. Talk to ya soon.


  5. I am glad that you had suc a great day. I am starting that book soon. I got it as a present, but haven't gotten to it yet. I am envious you got to see the show, it has gotten great reviews. Maybe some day. :)


  6. Wow, Stacy,

    I saw a production of Wicked here in Cleveland on Weds 6/21. It was opening night here and is still running for a week or so. I didn't know it was playing in other markets, too. Our performers were excellent and I enjoyed the spectacle (and all the Wizard of Oz in-jokes). But my niece, who went with me, had read the book and says its very different. A much sadder story all around.


  7. I'm actually going to see Wicked tomorrow and very excited. Does anyone know if there is a specific dress code or if going casual should be fine. This is my first theater play and I don't want to over do it.


Post a Comment