Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Thursday, May 06, 2010:
What I'm watching: The Office season 1 & Grey's Anatomy season 3
From BooksaMillion.com:

Based on the popular British comedy of the same name, THE OFFICE takes place in and around the Dunder Mifflin Paper Company in Scranton, Pennsylvania. Using the same mockumentary style as the original, the series succeeds in capturing the quiet desperation of the poor souls working in this socially stifling environment under the direction of delusional boss, regional manager Michael Scott. Comic actor Steve Carell beautifully inhabits the role, playing a man so eager to be liked, he completely alienates people with one stupid antic after another. Blindly believing himself beloved by his employees for his laid-back nature, Michael fails to see that, with the exception of nerdy and bizarre Dwight (Rainn Wilson), he is resented and despised by all.

Meanwhile, Jim woos engaged receptionist Pam, while both navigate the office politics and "humor" of boss Scott. Carell perfectly walks the line between despicable and pathetic, enlisting his audience's sympathies just moments before doing or saying something horribly inappropriate. THE OFFICE may be a remake, but it has charms of its very own.

I'm liking it, I'm really liking it. A bit more funny than the BBC version (I go for the obvious American humor), it's still cringe-worthy at moments and I know there is no way in HELL things could happen like that where I work. Rainn Wilson cracks me up by just standing there. He's perfect as Dwight - beady eyes, suspicious nature, neurotic. Looks the part of a serial killer. I love it. I like Jim a lot too. Helps that he's cute. Yeah he's really a likeable guy here. I love how he messes with Dwight. The jury is still out on Pam. I like her when she's conspiring with Him, but when her fiance comes on the scene, then she's a timid little mouse. And then there are the other minor yet important characters that round out the cast. A lot of this first season paid homage to the BBC creation, which is pretty cool. Can't wait to see what season 2 has in store...



GREY'S ANATOMY revolves around the personal and professional lives of the doctors at Seattle's Grace Hospital, and examines the complex relationships involving Meredith Grey (Ellen Pompeo), the bumbling George O'Malley (T.R. Knight), Addison Forbes Montgomery (Kate Walsh), and the arrogant Preston Burke (Isaiah Washington). GREY'S ANATOMY also stars Sandra Oh, Justin Chambers, and Chandra Wilson.
The show's successful formula relies on mixing intense medical procedures with its characters' emotional struggles. The third season starts off with the resolution of the love triangle of Meredith, Derek, and Finn Dandridge (Chris O'Donnell), while Isobel "Izzie" Stevens (Katherine Heigl) struggles to cope with her fiancé's death. This season of GREY'S ANATOMY also marked the departure of a central character, as Kate Walsh left to star in the spin-off PRIVATE PRACTICE, in which she leaves Seattle for Los Angeles.

I had a bit of a difficult time after season 2 ended going forward with the series. I waited quite some time before finally adding it to my TBW list. Then I started watching and wondered what the hell did I wait so long for? I'm sucked right in now, after watching the first 4 episodes of the season and waiting for more DVDs to make their way to my doorstep. I'm still mystified why all these men adore Meredith so much. Sure she's likeable, but she's also a trainwreck. George is just plain weird, and I so do not get why...what's her name, oh geez I can't think of it right now...is in love with him. My heart is breaking a little for Izzy, but it's hard when she's Katherine Heigl whom I don't love. McSteamy isn't doing it for me yet, so I'm waiting on that hotness to kick in. Also waiting for things to end badly for Preston and Cristina (though I have Kevin McKidd to look forward to so I'm not mourning his loss too badly). So far, I'm still in the infatuation stages.


What are you watching?

Labels:

3 Comments

  1. Season 2 of the Office was my absolute fav season. I LOVE Dwight. LOL. Sooo funny.

    I remember when Grey's was good. I don't watch it anymore though.


  2. I've never really watched The Office, but might try to catch some of the re-runs. Still love me so Grey's Anatomy. Will have to catch up on this week's episode on-line. Nashville is having a telethon airing on all the local networks tonight.

    One of my favorite shows right now is Glee. Also love Cougar Town.


  3. I've started watching The Office in reruns and honestly I could kick myself for not watching it before. I'm getting ready to watch all the seasons of Sex and The City for the movie coming out. I've watched a lot of it, but can't wait to watch it in order.


Post a Comment