Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Tuesday, September 15, 2009:
Spotlight: L - Julie Anne Long
Julie Anne Long is a relatively new-to-me author, but one that had a significant impact on me in 2008. I had read the first book in her Pennyroyal Green series, "The Perils of Pleasure", and enjoyed it very much.
So much so that I went on to read the 2nd book, "Like No Other Lover", and this is the book that totally blew me away. It's hard to define why sometimes a book grabs a hold of you and takes you for an amazing, colorful ride. The plot was not exceptionally original: young woman must find rich, eligible man to marry or end up destitute. Simple, done before. But Julie Anne Long did it better. I adored this book, those special little moments that set it apart. Who knew the heroine's sudden affection for arachnids would be so endearing? It was just such a charming, lovely story.
I have the next book in the series, "Since The Surrender", just haven't read it yet. But I will. I like Julie's writing style, so when I'm on my historical kick again, this will be the first book I grab. I love finding authors who can surprise me with in the most subtle of ways. Just when you think you've read it all, someone writes a story that you can't get out of your head, and that's why Julie is in this week's author's spotlight.
Sadly I haven't met her in person, but the internet is an amazing thing, what with blogs and email and this wonderful addiction known as Twitter. So I get to "follow" Julie and see what she's up to, and hope one day to meet her and have her sign my books. One of my favorite things about reading is meeting those who write the amazing stories. I'm crossing my fingers that the opportunity to meet JAL becomes a reality someday, and gush in person about how much "Like No Other Lover" made an impression on me.
What book have you read recently that made an impression?

Labels:

6 Comments

  1. I haven't read Julie Ann Long but I will definitely add her to my tbr!


  2. I have recently read ROSEMARY & RUE by Seanan McGuire (@seananmcguire) and her main character October Daye has stuck with me.
    :)
    All the best,
    @RKCharron
    xoxo


  3. I love Julie Ann Long, I've enjoyed every book I've read so far. Another great historical author I've been very impressed with is Sherry Thomas - I recently read her Private Arrangements which was outstanding. And the book I just finished, while in a very different genre, is Jaye Wells' first book, Red-Headed Stepchild. What a great book! If you like urban fantasy/paranormal books, this is a unique take on the vampire mythos - I loved it.


  4. I've haven't read Julie Anne Long either, but I'm definitely intrigued! I love this Spotlight series Stacy - thank you!


  5. I read your review of Like No Other Lover and put in on my to-be-bought list. I've read one book by JAL many years ago and now it's really time to read some more...


  6. Like No Other Lover made JAL one of my favorite authors. I just finished Since the Surrender and Summer of Two Wishes is waiting to be read soon!


Post a Comment