Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Tuesday, September 08, 2009:
Spotlight: K - Lisa Kleypas
Photobucket

Lisa Kleypas is one of my all-time favorite authors. I am a HUGE, HUGE fan. Currently, she is on a list of only 3 authors that have significantly impacted me over the years. Not to say that no one else will end up on that list, but so far the reigning champions have not been defeated. They've all been on the list at least 13 years.

The first book I ever read by Lisa Kleypas was "Midnight Angel". It wasn't a favorite of mine, but it interested me enough that I kept looking for her other books. I read the classic "Dreaming of You", with the iconic Derek Craven and his love, Sara Fielding. After that, it was hard for me to discover a Lisa Kleypas book I didn't love, even the much mocked "Prince of Dreams" had something to recommend it. One of my favorites, "Because You're Mine", is about a young woman about to be married to a hideously old man. Horrified, she runs to the stage, where she meets a womanizing actor who makes her feel alive. Logan and Madeline are passionate, stubborn, and completely in love, and I adored their story. As I mentioned, there's probably not one of her books that I haven't found something to love about.

When she recently ventured into the world of contemporary romance, I was nervous. I'd seen what it had done to other wonderful authors, and I was afraid the same thing would happen in this instance. However then a dear friend, Kati, sent me a copy of "Sugar Daddy", and I was totally blown away. In fact that might even be her best written book ever, though not my favorite. No, that honor goes to...

"Where Dreams Begin". There's just something about Zachary that I adore, and his relationship with Holly is so what she needs in her life. I know it's not listed as a favorite by many, but it's mine, and I love it, and it's one I've re-read many times. It never gets old for me, and that's the sign of a true classic.

I've not met Lisa, but it would definitely be one of those embarrassing squee girl moments that some people have over Nora Roberts. Don't get me wrong, I totally get La Nora's appeal, but I've never been moved by her books quite like I have been by Ms. Kleypas. I would buy her books in hardcover without blinking. She's an icon, in my book.


Do you have a favorite Lisa Kleypas book?

Have you been lucky enough to meet her?

Labels:

19 Comments

  1. I adore Lisa!! The majority of her books are winners for me, but my two favorites are Suddenly You and Blue Eyed Devil.


  2. Lisa Kleypas is one of my favs too. Like Katiebabs Suddenly You is my all time fav, but also like Secrets of a Summer Night and I can't forget Worth Any Price...ranks right up there with Suddenly You for me. Love her work and have most of her books in my keepers, than just about any author (along with Lori Foster)


  3. I can't think of any Lisa Kleypas story that I haven't thoroughly enjoyed. I doubt I could pick a single favorite. My top 3 would be Dreaming of You, Sugar Daddy and Tempt Me at Twilight. I was lucky enough to score an ARC of TMAT. In my opinion, it's one of the best books Lisa has ever written.

    I haven't met Lisa in real life yet but I've chatted with her via email, Twitter, etc. and hope to one day have that chat in person. She's such a lovely, gracious lady.


  4. Great post Stacy. I've not read Ms. Kleypas work yet but have one of her books at home in the TBR.

    I hope to get to it soon. She certainly comes highly recommended by many. :)


  5. Stacy, I'm a big fan too.
    There is no book of her that I've disliked. She has her own voice and each book is a delight.
    My favorite LK book is Again the Magic... I re-read this book every year I think. It's a real tear jerker but I love it (love the second chance at love theme in general).


  6. Lisa is in my top 3 favorite authors of all time. I love her. Her writing is evocative and lovely, and it has to be said, she creates a hell of a hero. In my top 10 heroes of all time, she has three. Three! No other author can say that. Hmmm, there's a blog there somewhere.

    My favorite Kleypas historical is Again the Magic, although I love others of hers almost as much, this one holds a really special place in my heart. My favorite Kleypas contemp is Smooth Talking Stranger. Mostly because I quite adore Jack Travis.


  7. She got me hooked to contemporaries! I never really did love contemporary romance... until I read Sugar Daddy and Blue-Eyed Devil. I thank her books for that!
    So far, I've read only one historical by her, but will read more in the future.


  8. Like you, I adore LK too! I think she has an amazing way of making her stories work each and every single time for me.

    My favorites from her are: Smooth Talking Stranger, Dreaming of You and Scandal in Spring. I adored Matthew and Daisy's story.


  9. I just started reading Lisa Kleypas, at the end of last year, thanks to Barbara. But I absolutely love the stuff I've read. It's really hard to pick one favorite book.

    I love all the Wallflower books but.... Dreaming of You & Devil in the Winter are my favorite.


  10. I love Lisa's books as well. I think Smooth Talking Stranger is my favorite of hers so far. I've read some of her historicals but need to read more! :) And no, I've never had the pleasure of meeting her.


  11. Love me some LK!! I have never read her contemps although I have them all. But I LOVE her historicals. Merripen is one of my fav heroes. Can't wait for Poppy's story!


  12. I've only read her Wallflower series, but loved everyone of them. Must try some of her contemporary romances soon. I really love her historicals(even have a few in my tbr pile). I've never been lucky enough to meet Lisa.


  13. I heart Ms Kleypas. Her historicals are consistantly among my favorites. I loved the Wallflowers series, Dreaming of you, Lady Sophia's Lover (which I lent to my landlady and demanded she return it when she was done... and she loved it), and Suddenly You. I've enjoyed every book pf hers that I have read.

    I will admit that I have yet to read her comtemps. I'm almost afraid to read them. What if I don't like them??!?!!??


  14. Love Ms. Kleypas' Hathaways, can't wait for the next one! Also read Again the Magic which I really enjoyed. Haven't tried any contemporaries but don't read those too often unless there's vampires involved!


  15. LK is without a doubt my all time favorite. She was the first author whose releases I highly anticipated and still do to this day.

    I have all of her books and so many favorites. Ugh, if I had to choose, I'd say:

    Scandal In Spring..Matthew..sigh
    Again the Magic
    Because Your Mine
    Dreaming of You
    Stranger In My Arms
    Against the Odds (from Where's My Hero?)

    Oh heck, the list goes on and on. I've never once been left disappointed by one of her stories.


  16. I love Lisa Kleypas and YES! I met her in my local Barnes & Noble in March 2007 for a Sugar Daddy book signing. She was so warm and gracious. I wrote about meeting her last year on my blog: Loving Lisa Kleypas. There's even photographic proof! ^_^

    I've read and blogged about all three of LK's contemporaries and adored each one, although BLUE-EYED DEVIL resonates with me on a deeply personal level, so it will forever be an all time favorite novel for me.

    I also read SECRETS OF A SUMMER NIGHT over the winter and really enjoyed it. I have about five or six of her other historicals on my TBR shelf and will definitely continue reading them.

    Great post, Stacy!


  17. I generally prefer historicals, but my sister-in-law gave me Sugar Daddy and Blue Eyed Devil. I love those characters and I can't wait to read
    Smooth Talking Stranger.


  18. Oh, how wonderful to find such kindred spirits *g* It's wonderful to have others love an author as much as I do. So many great books were mentioned. I would love to go on an LK glom. That would be heaven...


  19. Way late here... but oh yes. I adore her books! And Worth Any Price is my all time fave. I'm a huge Nick Gentry ho.


Post a Comment