Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Friday, June 27, 2008:
And the rest is history...
Photobucket

ISBN-10: 0373105185
ISBN-13: 9780373105182
Pub. Year: 1982
Even while hating him, she loved him...
Seeing Jordan again after five long years was almost more of a shock than the traffic accident that had left Kelly's father in a coma. Why had Jordan come?Instantly Kelly relived the pain of loving him, losing him and miscarrying his child.... But that was over now; she had her father to think of. That was the most cruel irony of all, because for her father's sake, Kelly was forced to live with her husband again, pretending a love that didn't exist - except on her side.
This is it: the book that lead me down the rosy path and straight into the loving covers of romance novels. Oh, I was but a wee lassie of 12 when I swiped this book from me mum, and I never looked back and certainly never regretted my impulsive action. To this day, the feeling of reading about Kelly and Jordan has stayed with me. I haven't read it in years for no other reason than I haven't gotten around to it. I do remember it left me...unsettled, but in a good way, since I continued to keep reading romances.
At the start of the book, Kelly was 23 years old to Jordan's 39, (which I thought was really creepy) and they were no longer together. Then Kelly's father is an accident and awakens from a coma believing his daughter is still married to Jordan, and per doctor's orders, they must pretend to still be married and happily in love. Their love was passionate, stormy, and full of misunderstandings, just like any decent romance of the early 80's. And Jordan couldn't keep his hands off his lovely young wife, even after 5 years apart. Thank God I also watched soap operas back then because otherwise I might have been completely confused by Kelly's claim that she hated her husband but kept ending up in his bed and eventually ended up pregnant. (Birth control was not big back in the day, if you can believe it.)
But all ends well, with lots of agony and desperation and forgiveness, just as it should, and I go on to pilfer another Harlequin Presents from the mom. Several, in fact. Then, shortly after, I came across a book (something "Fire") with a cucumber involved. Hmmm, no one can ever say that romances aren't educational.
What was your first romance, and do you still re-read it today?

Labels: ,

10 Comments

  1. My first romance book was "A Rose in Winter" by Kathleen Woodiwiss. I think I was 17 and a bit of a book snob. I wouldn't stoop to reading a silly romance. No, I read "intelligent" books by Robin Cook, Sidney Sheldon, and that sort. I forgot to send the card back for my book club and ended up with ARIW. Finally one day when I had absolutely nothing else to read I reluctantly picked it up. AND DEVOURED IT! I hated that I loved it. lol It was actually several years after that before I started reading romance. Not sure why. And yes, I still have it and read it from time to time.


  2. I remember this one! Carole Mortimer was my first, too -- Only Lover, when I was eight.


  3. LOL - Jenster, I read Robin Cook and Sidney Sheldon, too! All over them! (Doesn't Sidney Sheldon count as ropmance? In a creepy, Jackie Collins sort of way?)

    So, if we aren't counting Judy Blume, then I'm thinking it was likely The Promise by Danielle Steel, followed quickly by Janet Dailey's Harlequin Presents. Anyone remember how she wrote one for each state? I loved that! I remember two in particular, but can't remember the titles - one was about a plane cash in the desert (so it had to be Arizona, I think) and the other was about a race car driver (I think it was her Indiana book). Boy I sure loved her pre-Calder books!


  4. I can't remember the name of the first romance I read, although I can still see the cover in my mind. It must have been good because I kept reading romance. I lent it to a friend and never got it back. Grrr!

    The first romance that stuck with me and I reread ad nauseum was Red Rose, a catagory romance by Mary Balogh. I must have read it at least 20 times. I know I did not throw it away, but I can't find it!!! It is driving me crazy!


  5. Oooh! Irish Thoroughbred by Nora Roberts. Someone left it on the bookshelf at our beach house. I was 11. And I was delighted by it. Probably because they totally DID IT in chapter 7.

    This book was actually just omnibussed by Harlequin not too long ago. While the story is a bit dated, it still holds a special place in my heart.


  6. My first romance was The Gift by Daniel Steal but it really didn’t do that much for me. It was a good book an all but just not my cup of tea.

    My first romance that got me into reading romance (and reading in general) was Dance Upon the Air by Nora Roberts. I was 19 and got hooked. I’ve been reading romance ever since.


  7. I remember reading a Beatrice Small novel when I was 13. Yup, learned about somw hot loving in that book. :D
    Acutally my first real romance was Gone With The Wind.


  8. My first was Wanderlust by Danielle Steel. The word 'lust' caught my attention but after that I was hooked. I read every single book she put out and her entire backlist. I read her exclusively (because I didn't know any better and my library doesn't have a romance section) until I was brought into the light by Julia Quinn and the rest is history.


  9. I'm kind of a newbie because I haven't been reading romances but a few years. My first was A Soft Place to Fall by Barbara Bretton.


  10. One of my first "novels" was Mrs. Mike by Benedict and Nancy Freedman, and I've read it several times since that first time when I was probably 12 or 13. I read numerous Harlequins before coming across my first historical - a Regency called Spring Gambit by Claudette Williams. Thinking my original copy was long gone, I searched for a copy online for the longest time before coming across one which I snapped up immediately. When my mother sold her home and moved to a retirement community, I found my original copy in a shoebox of "treasures" in the bottom corner of my bedroom closet. Sweet! When I was 18 I read The Flame and the Flower and totally forgot those sweet Harlequins!


Post a Comment