Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Tuesday, February 26, 2008:
What did you want to be...
Photobucket
...when you grew up?
I saw a quote this morning that made me think about that for a minute, especially what I wanted to be when I grew up. I think as a young girl, I wanted to be Barbie. Sure, go ahead and laugh, but as the oldest with two younger brothers, my mom kept my hair short and had me in jeans and t-shirts, which I loved, but did nothing for my feminine appeal. I'd hear quite often from adults talking to my parents: "Oh, are these your three boys?" Who you calling a boy, buster?!?!?! (Some things you never get over, even thirty years older. Anyway, Barbie had the pretty clothes and the gorgeous hair (which sometimes got chopped off in a jealous rage) and a cool car. Forget Ken, Barbie didn't need him. She had it goin' on. Okay, she's not known for her intelligence, and if she were a real person, she'd be so top-heavy she'd keel over. But everyone should have a dream, right?
Later, in junior high, I decided that instead of all the other girls, who wanted to be psychologists, I was going to be an interior decorator. Don't ask me why, because I have no taste, cannot coordinate color and fabric and design to save my life. But it sounded cool and fun and different than what all my friends wanted, and I liked that. A lot.
At some point, probably because I did a small part I played when I was in the 6th grade, I dreamed of being an actress. Though I come across as pretty reserved and shy (some interpret this as cold bitch), I do have a bit of the drama queen flair in me that rages to come out from time to time. But the reality of it seems too grueling and uncertain. I need money.
And of course, the one dream that persists even today, is to be a writer. Over the years, I've written incredibly far-fetched stories, way too much horrendously bad, angsty poetry filled with death and violence, and some incredibly sappy teen romance (also filled with death and violence. Those teen years are tough times). I even tried my hand at some naughty stories that have me blushing in mortification as to what I wrote. And no, those will never be surfacing up on the internet anytime soon. Destroyed all of 'em, I did. Some art is not worth saving.
What did you imagine being when you grew up?
What do you do today, and how is it the same, or different, than
what you dreamed about?

Labels: ,

8 Comments

  1. I wanted to be President of the United States when I was little. And then I saw how much work that was. As for now I would like to work very hard at winning the lotto.


  2. I wanted to be a teacher but as I got older I noticed instead of teaching I just tend to take over because it’s easier. So that dream went out the window :o) Oh and I wanted to be a vet but then I realized that I hate since and that wasn’t going to work :o) now I have no idea what I want I want to be when I grow up.


  3. I've always loved writing and always wanted to be a writer but I did go through times I thought about other professions.

    Crime scene investigator

    Forensics

    child psychologist


  4. Heck, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up! LOL

    The list goes on and on: jockey, RCMP (so I could do the musical ride), psychologist (majored in psych in uni) and lately it looks like I'm turning into a social worker...but I kind of don't want to go down that road. Strange.


  5. First it was a cheerleader. I had books and anything else to show me what and how to do the moves and whatnot. Unfortunately, no one could show me how to do a cartwheel so that dream went down in smoke.
    Then it was a teacher. My grandma was one so I figure I could do it too. Not for me.
    Now I'd really like to be a nurse. I started down that course but had to put it on the back burner. But I haven't given up. Some time in the next few years I'll get back to it.


  6. When I was in third grade I was an insatiable reader (still am). A friend and I would write stories together and separately. I told my mom I wanted to be a librarian because I thought they wrote all the books.
    In high school I wanted to be a Psychologist, but then I realized that I was good at listening to the problems but had no idea about suggestions to help them.
    In college I thought about being a librarian (knew the definition this time) but could not afford the extra schooling. Now I am a music teacher and i love it but maybe when I get older I will try for the librarian thing again.


  7. Hey these are some cool and really interesting choices. I forgot I also wanted to be a travel agent, and went to a travel school for 3 monts eons ago when I was a teenager.


  8. I changed my mind pretty often about what I wanted to be!

    I started off wanting to be an archaeologist, then a paleontologist (an archaeologist specializing in dinosaurs). Then I wanted to be an astronaut. I was so bummed when I never got to go to Space Camp.

    Then I wanted to be a teacher. My mom says I used to teach my dolls growing up. I do remember I loved going to the educational supply store.

    I changed my mind along the way through middle school, high school, and college, but I ended up as a community college math teacher :-)


Post a Comment