Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Tuesday, February 05, 2008:
This 'n that....
I don't know about you, but growing up, I watched "General Hospital", just like my mom did. It was a tradition. Watched it for years, especially during the golden years of Luke & Laura. So it was a bit sad to hear that one of the characters, Amy, the gossipy nurse who butted in everybody's business, has passed away. She was only 49 years old. She wasn't a favorite character - because she could be jealous and a bit spiteful, but she was always there, at the nurses' station. (Trivia: saxophonist Dave Koz was the object of Amy Vining's affections).
Photobucket
1992 photo
If you're a fan of Marjorie Liu's books, or you'd like to be, she's a guest blogger over at Michelle Buonfiglio's place today. It's also in celebration of the upcoming Chinese New Year, which totally confuses me cuz it's on a different day every year. So check out her post - very lovely and emotional.
Photobucket
February is Black History Month here in the U.S. and in Canada. It is celebrated in October in the U.K. Black History Month was established in 1976 "by Afro-Americans for the Study of Afro-American Life and History. The month-long celebration was an expansion of Negro History Week, which was established in 1926 by Carter G. Woodson, director of what was then known as the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History." (from Wikipedia.org) I had no idea it's been around so long. I believe it's important to celebrate it, but hope one day it's as much a part of our history as any other. There shouldn't be a need to keep it separate - it should be a part of our education, part of our upbringing, part of our culture. I believe Carter G. Woodson hoped for that as well. I hope that happens before I die.

Labels: ,

6 Comments

  1. I remember Amy ~ I loved her character! How sad that the actress has passed away ~ 49 is so young!


  2. Oh wow - I watched GH religiously for years! From the late 70s through about 2000 or so. How sad!


  3. I’ve never watched GH but it’s always sad to see someone go so young.


  4. I've never really been into GH. I love One Life to Live though.

    Thanks for the info on Black History month!


  5. I recognized "Amy" immediately when I saw the news article online. It's been years since I watched GH, but that pic brought it all back. So sad for her and her family.


  6. OMG, Stace. I totally remember Amy Vining. How sad!


Post a Comment