Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Wednesday, January 23, 2008:
Why do you blog?
Photobucket


Hmmm, why do I blog? I've thought a lot about this, mostly because it's been two years or so since I created this place, and I like the idea of having some sort of purpose in my little corner of the world.

The main reason I started to blog is because of my love of romance novels. See, in real life, none of my close friends, heck, not even any of my acquaintances, read romances. Not one. To be so passionate about something and to not have anyone to share it with is, well, lonely. About 4 years ago, I started to become more actively involved in meeting other readers - whether online or in person - who felt the same way about the genre that I do, and I loved having this community to reach out to, to learn from, and to find good recs. But even that wasn't quite enough, because the thing is, I love to hear myself talk(or in this case, read what I have to say). And there were other things I wanted to discuss, like movies. And hotties. So I created my little world and made it public. It's my little corner, and I rather like it.

Here, I can post about other things I'm passionate about, like the troops, or causes supporting children. Or how beautiful Richard Armitage is. Even my long-standing (i.e. tiresome?) crush on cover model Nathan Kamp is welcome here. It's my place, and you're all welcome, but no one has to feel like they have to stick around if they choose not to. After all, "exciting" was never my middle name, and it's too late to change that now.
Sometimes I consider giving it up, feeling like it's all been said and done by way more eloquent and interesting people than me. Maybe one day I will sail off into the sunset, never to bore anyone again. So far, that day hasn't come, must to the dismay of others.

My blog will never be too controversial, or popular, or cutting edge. There are a million blogs just like mine, and not a lot sets me apart from the others. Sometimes I might get up on my soapbox and vent, but overall, this place blends right into the wordwork. It's who I am, what I do best, and there's just no other way I can be. I'm not looking to change the world. I just want to talk about the stuff I like, make a few friends, and feel like a part of something for a little while. I can be completely happy with that.



What about you - why do you blog?


How long have you been blogging?


Do you ever get tired, and just want to give it up?


Labels:

13 Comments

  1. Please don't sail off into the sunset! I would miss you!!!

    I started blogging after we moved to PA to keep friends and family updated. But it's changed to something different. Not sure what. LOL Partly a breast cancer blog, but not really. Mostly just a bunch of nothing. Like Seinfeld.

    I started in August of 2007. I haven't thoguht about quitting yet, but I'm sure I'll get there eventually. I do enjoy it, though.


  2. Well, I started blogging when my sister contracted spasmodic dysphonia and could no longer really talk on the phone. We decided it was a good way to keep in touch.

    Overall I enjoy blogging, but I don't like when it becomes like a job. Sometimes I have lots of fun ideas and it's easy, but other times, like right now, I have a hard time thinking of anything to say. I don't really love writing reviews, so I do very few of them. I love pop culture, and write quite a bit about that. But some days it just feels like a lot of work, you know?

    I've had my current blog since June of last year. I had a blog for about a year prior to that.


  3. I started blogging because I had no one to discuss my love of books with. :P I'll have been blogging for 2 years in February.

    I've never wanted to give up my book blog, but I did retire my personal blog. I'm still meeting new people and even though I too fade into the woodwork, I love my blog and wouldn't change it.


  4. I blog to share my love of books and to get new ideas of things to read. I'll have been blogging for 2 years come this July.

    Sometimes, I do get tired and fall off the face of the earth. Just because I'm obsessive. I obsess about books for awhile, then I obsess about healthy eating, then I obsess about vacation, etc., etc (you get the picture) and so I become focused on those individual subjects and don't keep up with the other things.


  5. To meet people like you :)

    I think it's over two years now--I'll have to check my archives.

    Sometimes I think about giving up. But usually I'm just in need of a break. I don't do controversial, I don't do mean. I just like to have a voice sometimes :)


  6. I started blogging on other sites about a year ago because I too didn’t know anyone with the same passion that I have for reading and romance. I have meet some pretty awesome people and gotten a lot of good recs. I just started doing my own bolg and I know no one looks at it but I do it for me. I list and keep track of the books I’m reading and what I have read so far for the year, because I’m curious the amount of books I actually read a year. And also I can go back and look at topics and see where I was at that point in time. If you can’t tell I’m really big on self reflecting :o)


  7. I barely started blogging - only three weeks ago and I am loving it. I wanted to do something with my increasing obsession with books , mostly Romance Novels. Like you, I had no one to talk to about it. Then I was just commenting about this with Thea, my now co-bloggers and we realised we felt the same way and voila, book smugglers is born.

    I find the world of blogging amazing, so many interesting people that we get to know!


  8. Stumbled on your blog from your comment on another one. I will be back to check you out some more! To answer your questions: I have been blogging for a few years, but not daily until last fall. I do it for my own entertainment and also to keep in touch with people. And it is fun. :)


  9. Aw Jen, you're a sweetie. I'm not going anywhere, not yet anyway.

    MK, I remember you talking about your sister. As for blogging being a job, I don't really feel that way, but I do try to post as often as possible, but I like doing it. If it did become a job, I'd quit.

    Ames, I'm so with ya. When I get excited over a book I want to talk about it, yet none of my friends could understand, so I gave up on them LOL.

    Dev, I've gotten way too many recs from blogging, but I'm not complaining. I love it. And I get very obsessive myself.

    LeeAnn, I've started to keep track of my books too, so I don't get duplicates and so I know what I read over the year.

    Ana, I've been checking out your blog too, and that's become another obsession - bloghopping. Oy.

    Dlyn, thanx for stopping by. I agree, it is fun. If it weren't I would stop doing it.


  10. First off don't go anywhere. I can't handle any more of my fave bloggers deserting me.
    I started blogging just to stay awake at work. And even though I'm no longer having my brain cells zapped by that dead end job I find that I just can't quit cold turkey.
    I started in 04 August I think.

    I thought about quitting plenty esp. right after I had my baby and life was turned upside down. I do go away for long periods but I always end up coming back.


  11. Two reasons - to share my love of books and to share my thoughts with anyone silly enough to think they're interesting, LOL!

    Seriously, though, I've met some wonderful people, and have made some great friends. But, yes, I've dropped out of sight for weeks on end. I always come back because I miss you all :)


  12. I started blogging to share my love of romance reading with others. I have discovered two things I am not very good at it and I don't seem to be very dedicated to it either.

    Don't think I have posted to my own blog since September of last year. Funny all sorts of cool things go through my mind to talk about but when it actually comes to setting down to write something my thoughts seem to take flight right out of my mind....lol. So I'm not quite sure if I'm not good at it because I am not disaplined about doing it or I'm not disaplined about doing it because I suck at it. lol

    Some people are really good about coming up with interesting topics though. I enjoy your entries and find that I am much better about leaving regular comments on other people's blogs than I am about keeping my own.

    There are about 10-15 that I try and get to at least every few days.

    Keep up the good work Stacy.


  13. Thanx guys, for all the lovely comments. I wasn't looking for all the compliments, but y'all are sweethearts for giving them and I appreciate you stopping by and reading my rambles. It makes me want to be more interesting just so you keep coming back LOL.


Post a Comment