Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Tuesday, June 19, 2007:
"Knocked Up" 2007

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket



Allison Scott(Katherine Heigl) is an up-and-coming entertainment journalist whose 24-year-old life is on the fast track. But it gets seriously derailed when a drunken one-nighter with slacker Ben Stone (Seth Rogen) results in an unwanted pregnancy. Faced with the prospect of going it alone or getting to know the baby's father, Allison decides to give the lovable doof a chance.


My friend Liz, who (usually) has more high-brow taste than me, selected this movie for our viewing pleasure, and I had no problem with her choice as I was in the mood for something fun and silly. To be honest, I was expecting something really, really juvenile, and though it certainly had plenty of those moments in it, the movie was also surprisingly endearing and likeable on other levels besides the bathroom-like humor - in fact at times it was downright educational - and there was a lot of seriousness too. It wasn't as dramatic as an afterschool special, but it didn't downplay the impact an unplanned pregnancy can have on two people who get drunk and have a one-night stand.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I've liked Katherine Heigl ever since seeing her in "Roswell" (one of my guilty pleasures) and I really enjoyed Seth's tough yet vulnerable character in "Freaks and Geeks". Physically, picturing them together is a bit of a stretch but from the beginning they make an immediate connection so that even though Allison - a gorgeous tall blonde who's going places in her career - and Ben - a heavyset, unemployed teddybear who gets stoned all day long - don't look like they'd be an obvious choice, they have immediate chemistry and it's a plausible hookup. The morning after is understandably awkward, but Allison does try to make a go of it and agrees to go to breakfast with Ben, but is soon turned off by his unemployed and perpetually "high" state, so they go their separate ways. Once she discovers she's pregnant (after buying about 15 pregnancy tests) she contacts Ben, who doesn't even have his own cell phone, and together they go to the gynecologist for final confirmation. Yep, Allison really is "knocked up".
The movie does a good job of showing the stress, tension, and uncertainty an unplanned pregnancy has on two people who are virtual strangers, and doesn't always take the silly, humorous way out in ways you'd most expect. Allison deals with trying to find a doctor she feels comfortable with, the fear of telling her bosses, and trying to forge some kind of relationship with Ben, who doesn't do much to change his current situation other than be there to support Allison. He makes some attempt at being responsible, but he continues on with his slacker lifestyle and it isn't until a defining moment involving an earthquake really opens Allison's eyes to what her future could be like if her and Ben stay together.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Like I said, I liked this movie, was glad it didn't sink into nothing but a 2-hour bathroom humor extravaganza, but the one thing I couldn't get over was Ben's lifestyle. Hated it, and didn't find it very endearing, even as silly as it was made out to be. Not just his being unemployed - which is explained early on - but the daily routine of getting high with his buddies. For one thing, I can't stand the smell of marijuana - makes me nauseous. And I've known people like this, who don't shower, who wear grubby clothes and look spaced-out all the freakin' time, so the appeal is completely lost on me. And I can't see a smart young woman like Allison settling for a guy, at least not permanently, whose greatest ambition appears to be smoking pot every single day. I don't know, maybe it's just me - I'm a complete snob when it comes to stuff like that. 100% superficial. And I brought my baggage to the movies. Still, don't mind me. If you can overlook that kinda thing, or if it doesn't bother you in the least, I think you might actually enjoy the movie.


Labels: ,

2 Comments

  1. For one thing, I can't stand the smell of marijuana - makes me nauseous.

    Me too!!! I had friends who did this and I used to tell them not anywhere bear me or I'd puke right in their stash. LOL.

    I liked Heigel [sp?] when she was really young and did this cute high school movie. Can't remember the name of the movie.


  2. Hey, Stace!

    This is the first movie I got to see in the theaters in a long time. I enjoyed it very much. The bathroom humor was much but it fit the mode of slackers to a "T" so I had no problem with it.

    The funniest part: Pete and Debbie's marriage was mirrored off mine. Not literally or I'd be rich but my hubby has bruised ribs from my elbowing him. Everything they did and went through, so have we. It was so ironic it was funny.


    Mailyn-- There was a movie on the Disney Channel called "Wish Upon A Star" that she was in. Is that the movie you're thinking of?


Post a Comment