Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Sunday, November 22, 2009:
My review of New Moon (2009) movie

Following Bella Swan's ill-fated 18th birthday party, Edward Cullen and his family abandon the town of Forks, Washington, in an effort to protect her from the dangers inherent in their world. As the heartbroken Bella sleepwalks through her senior year of high school, numb and alone, she discovers Edward's image comes to her whenever she puts herself in jeopardy. Her desire to be with him at any cost leads her to take greater and greater risks.

With the help of her childhood friend Jacob Black, Bella refurbishes an old motorbike to carry her on her adventures. Bella's frozen heart is gradually thawed by her budding relationship with Jacob, a member of the mysterious Quileute tribe, who has a supernatural secret of his own.

When a chance encounter brings Bella face to face with a former nemesis, only the intervention of a pack of supernaturally large wolves saves her from a grisly fate, and the encounter makes it frighteningly clear that Bella is still in grave danger. In a race against the clock, Bella learns the secret of the Quileutes and Edward's true motivation for leaving her. She also faces the prospect of a potentially deadly reunion with her beloved that is a far cry from the one she'd hoped for. (from Yahoo movies)

In Twilight, we see Bella and Edward becoming more and more enamored of each other, so much so that it's like an obsession, and Bella is almost desperate to keep his attention on her. Even when it puts her life in danger, she would rather die than be without him. We also see how Edward has tried to keep away from her, maintaining it's for her own good, yet even he cannot deny his strong feelings for her.

Now in New Moon, we see how Bella and Edward are together almost at the exclusion of everyone and everything else. Bella is impatient with Edward because everyday she grows older, and before too long she fears growing "older" than him. She pressures him to change her, but he refuses. At this point, a few things happen at once.

First is her fateful birthday party, where her clumsiness has her cutting herself in front of all the Cullens, and her human blood is too much for Jasper to resist. He tries to attack her, which ends up with more of Bella's blood being spilt, and other family members feeling somewhat overcome with bloodlust. The second thing is that people are starting to notice that Dr. Cullen hasn't been aging like a normal person would, and the Cullens have decided that they needed to move away from Forks. These two events prompt Edward to push Bella away, telling her he doesn't want her anymore, even though we, the clever audience, know it's all a lie, Bella believes it because even after all this time, she still doesn't feel worthy of Edward. (Stupid girl, putting all your worth in the opinion of some guy).

Bella goes through months and months of depression, pushing everyone away and suffering through awful nightmares that scare her father. After some time has passed, she finally decides to reconnect with her friends, and one night when she goes out to a movie with a girlfriend, she accidentally discovers that if she acts recklessly, she can "see" Edward again. The adrenaline rushes are what bring his image to her, so she keeps doing crazy, wild stunts, if only to see him one more time.

During this time she brings some old pieces of junk to her friend Jacob with the hope that he can rebuild them into motorcycles that will provide her with that much needed adrenaline rush. He agrees, and by being casual and teasing, Jacob eventually draws Bella out of her shell again, being there for her, going to movies and basically just hanging out. It's quite obvious he has strong romantic feelings for her, but Bella insists on maintaining their friendship. She can't lie and make any promises to him while she still loves Edward, will always love Edward.

Jacob insists on being there for her anyway, promising not to hurt her, until something happens that has him running from Bella. Confused, miserable, hurt, she doesn't understand why Jacob doesn't want to be around her anymore, until one day she's had it and goes over to see him, demanding to know what's going on. It's at this point that Bella discovers the secret that Jacob has to hide from her, a secret not unlike the one she has about Edward....

My thoughts:

I am not really a fangirl of this series. Other than Twilight, I haven't read any of the books, and I only read that one after seeing the movie. But I will admit to being insatiably curious about it, which is why, like a sheep, I went to see Twilight on opening night, and then saw New Moon on its first night of release. I feel like I came into this series as an objective observer, but that is no longer the case, because now I've made my choice.

If I were twelve, I would be completely, insanely in love with Edward. He's the brooding, sad, emotional hero of every young girl's dreams, and if he weren't so pasty, he might be kinda cute. As long as he washes his hair and bathes on a regular basis, that is. Edward evokes feelings of romantic, aching, eternal and obsessive love, where he cannot live without Bella. He even pushes her away for her own good, using Bella's trust in him against her. This is what I didn't like, because as much as he tries to protect her, he enforces the belief that she just isn't good enough for him. Mostly likely he did it unintentionally, because he knows of no other way to convince her to keep away from him, but I was angry with him all the same.

When we first met Jacob in Twilight, he looked like a kid, but he was a grounded kid, one who listened to his father and wasn't really all that exciting. He has a strong dislike for Edward, partially because of jealousy, but also because of what Edward is. Now in New Moon, Jacob is still that good kid, and it's very obvious his crush on Bella is stronger than ever. He's the one that pulls Bella out of her depressive state. He's a good friend to her; he makes her laugh, he looks out for her, he's honest with her. He's got the dreaded "friend" syndrome going on, and maybe if Jacob weren't so darn cute, I could kinda understand why Bella wouldn't want to be more than friends. But on top of being a really cool guy, and the person who saves her from sinking deeper into depression, he's pretty hot. She even has to acknowledge it at one point when he takes his shirt off. She tells him he's "unbelievably beautiful", which, instead of taking advantage of that, Jacob teases her about it instead. See, Jacob is the guy a mature woman would fall for. Unlike Edward, who satisified my 12-year-old angsty, melodramatic self. Jacob is the guy that you want in real life, the guy who sees Bella's worth and appreciates it, but doesn't try to idolize it. So yeah, you guessed it; I'm officially on Team Jacob. True, it doesn't make sense to pick a side when we already know Edward gets to keep the crown and gets Bella in the end, but that doesn't mean I can't show Jacob some love, now does it?

The movie is actually a lot better than I had been expecting. There are intentionally funny moments, such as those with Jasper, and some involving Bella's dad Charlie. It's a little more light-hearted at times, though indesputedly dark at others, especially when meeting the Volturi. Weird and creepy are these vamps, which only highlighted Edward's pale and morbid expressions when we see him in their midst. He truly does pale in comparison to Jacob. Yet this is the guy Bella wants for all eternity. Go figure.

And of course there's Victoria stalking Bella with the intention of torturing and killing her. Since Edward killed her mate, she's going to return the favor. I know y'all know what happens with her, but don't tell me. I know enough of the rest of the series (i.e. demon baby) without needing to know everything.

Now not having read New Moon, I cannot say how true to it the movie is, but I've heard it's fairly close. There's a cliffhanger moment at the end, which isn't much of a cliffhanger since hey, we know what happens. But it was kinda cool the way it ended. And I heard the next one, Eclipse, will be out June 30, 2010. Is this true?

One disappointment I had is that the soundtrack cannot compare to Twilight's, which I own and love. This one I maybe liked one or two songs, that's it. I definitely wouldn't buy it. The music was such a part of Twilight that I'm sorry the same can't be said for this movie.

Overall, though, money well-spent. I even would go see it again, if for no other reason than to see Jacob up on the big screen again *g*



Rating: **** out of *****

Labels:

14 Comments

  1. Okay....well as embarrassing as it is, I am a Twilight fangirl. You really should read the other books. AT least New Moon and Eclipse. I did tell my hubby that had I only seen the movie, I might be TEam Jacob, but sigh, I just love Edward so much in the books :)

    I absolutely loved the movie. MUCH better than Twilight. There were a couple moments that I snickered when I shouldn't but overall, it gave me that giddy, happy feeling that I wanted in the end. I do wish there was a way that they could have showed more of Edward asking for forgiveness in the end because it was much more detailed in the book, but I know time is limited with movies. I'm still very happy with the movie.

    Yes, Eclipse releases June 30. They finished filming in October, I believe.


  2. I believe you are correct about the release date of New Moon. Breaking Dawn is still up in the air because Rpatz wants to do different movies. I have a feeling the three main actors are going to get a nice fat paycheck to be in BD.

    New Moon is the book that starts the Team sides. Nice review Stacy. Off to see it now...


  3. Nice review!!!

    I liked it..thought it was much better than Twilight!

    Totally lovin' Jacob.


  4. Great review Stacy! I'm off to see this on Saturday.

    Jacob is the guy that you want in real life, the guy who sees Bella's worth and appreciates it, but doesn't try to idolize it.

    And he accepts her faults...he accepts her, she doesn't have to be anything more...and she doesn't believe she has to be more. And that's why I'm totally on Team Jacob. Edward - I didn't like Edward at all in the book, but then I have huge issues with obsession and control...


  5. I liked New Moon much better than Twilight. I guess I am a bit of a fangirl when it comes to the Twilight series. I've gotten both friends and family hooked on the books and now the movies. I will say that I was Team Edward when I read the books, but am firmly on Team Jacob after seeing the movie.

    Great analogy that Edward feeds the 12-year old girl in all of us and Jacob is more attractive to the women...and not only because he is "unbelievably beautiful". BTW, my friend Molly and I already have plans to see Eclipse on June 30.


  6. See I think Edward loves her for who she is too and I think, in Eclipse especially, Jake is manipulative. Edward is willing to let her go if that is what is best for her, or if that is what she wants I guess I should say. I think he sacrifices for her in situations where Jake wouldn't. Not that I don't think Jake loves her or would do almost anything for her, but I think its in more of a manipulative way and even though Edward can be very posessive, I think when he realizes he is holding her too tightly, he gives in and lets her go even though it is too his "enemy". But as Liza said she is, I'm a fangirl when it comes to Twilight. LOL.

    Great review Stace and I'm loving reading everyones opinions. I love that Twilight (and romance in general) brings together so many women to chat books :)


  7. Great review! I hadn't really thought of it that way, but you're right about Edward being good for your 12-year old self and Jacob being good for a woman.

    I think I'm book Team Edward and movie Team Jacob. Although, I hate movie Bella. She can't seem to keep her neck straight, her head's always falling onto her shoulder.


  8. I don't know which guy my twelve-year-old self would go for. I do really like Jacob, but he can be annoying sometimes. So can Edward, though, I guess....


  9. I never seem it but i hope it would be interesting..


  10. Loved your recap. Like you I've only read the 1st book to so we are in the same place. I think you are spot in here in your analysis.


  11. Stacy-

    haven't seen New Moon yet but I do totally agree with you about the soundtracks. I loved the one from Twilight and baought this one thinking it would be just as great. Very disappointed and I don't think I even like one song.

    Will probably wait to see the movie a bit longer...maybe over the long weekend.


  12. New Moon (the movie) kept to the book's storyline for the most part - that's what fans wanted/expected and they made a zillion dollars doing it so good for them


  13. Hi Stacy~
    Great review and I have to agree...I am at this point totally a Team Jacob girl (and yes, I also realize that it is kind of silly to be Team Jacob when I know that she ends up with Edward). I went with my sister in law who is totally a Twilight fangirl...and she just gave me a horrified look when I told her my feelings about Jacob. I got the you definitely NEED to read the books and you will see why it is Edward. Then my daughter told me the same thing so I am going to try and read the books again.


  14. Wisely New Moon brings back screenwriter Melissa Rosenberg, who continues to prove she has a much better way with English than the author of the books, Stephenie Meyer.


Post a Comment