I saw this meme at the blog of the lovely and amazing KristieJ, and decided to play along. Before I play my version of the meme, here are the rules:
1. comment on this blog and ask for a letter
3. Think of 5 fictional characters whose name begins with that letter, and post their names and your comments on that character on your blog.I chose:
2. Harry (Connie Brockway's "As You Desire"). I read this book earlier this year, and this hero is another man that completely won my heart. Harry comes across as a cocky, devil may care hero who jumps from woman to woman, but Harry is hiding a few secrets, least of which is his complete and overwhelming love for his Dizzy (Desmonda).
I love a hero like Harry, one who comes across as rather fun and playful but deep down, he's more thoughtful and vulnerable and intense than anyone could ever guess. When he falls for his Dizzy, he believes in his gut he's not anywhere good enough for her, especially when he knows she desperately wants to go home to England, and that is the complete last thing he wants. But against his will he loves her, and no woman could ever take her place in his heart. I fell for Harry like a ton of bricks, and am so glad I picked this gem up. Delightful story.
3. Harry ("When Harry Met Sally"). Billy Crystal is really not my idea of a sexy man, but I find him very funny and charming, and his role in this movie is no exception. From his opinions on names "Ride me, big Sheldon" to his declaration of love "I love it that you freeze when it's 72 degrees outside" (totally paraphrasing here), Harry is not your typical hero, but he's a good guy, and he deserves his happy ending.
I loved his relationship with Sally over the years, how they never hooked up until near the end of the movie. I sighed with happiness when he finally realizes that he is in love with Sally and must tell her NOW. I think I wouldn't mind finding a guy like Harry, who's not gorgeous or rich, but who's funny and likeable and someone I'd like to hang out with. He's normal.
4. Hugh MacCarrick ("If You Desire" by Kresley Cole). I am a total sucker for unrequited love. It's definitely my favorite theme in a romance - I just love it when the hero is so enamored with the heroine that he's consumed. Rather stalker-esque in RL, but in a romance novel, it's rather dreamy.
It's the 2nd book in Cole's MacCarrick series, and having gotten a glimpse of Hugh in the first story, I was immediately hooked. There is a curse on the MacCarrick brothers, and each of them takes it deadly serious. Hugh has been incredibly in love with Jane for years, but fearful of causing her death, he runs off to become an assassin, until one fateful day he's brought back home to protect the one woman he believes he can never have. Hugh is truly a tortured hero, and an incredibly flawed one, but I adored him.
5. Horatio Hornblower. I have absolutely no idea what this story is about. None whatsoever. All I do know is that Ioan Gruffud is dreamy, though I preferred him as Lancelot in "King Arthur" (with Clive Owen).
Yes, probably a totally superficial reason to even bring this choice up, but hey, so what. I like the guy, he seems heroic, and damn cute. What's not to like?
So, have you not seen this meme around and do you want to play along? Just leave a comment stating you would like a letter, and I will go ahead and choose one for you. If for any reason you're having trouble with your letter, let me know and I'll choose another.
~And I'll try to be better about responding; work has been crazy busy and I've been too tired to surf the 'net this week. ~