Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Wednesday, November 22, 2006:
my kinda Christmas
I know it's kinda early, but I felt in the holiday mood :)


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
Hot chocolate. I can only handle egg nog in small quantities.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
A little of both actually

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
Depends on my mood. Some years I like lots of color, other times I like a simple look with just one or two colors.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
No, but maybe I should LOL

5. When do you put your decorations up?
In December….I’m not organized enough to do it the day after Thanksgiving like some I know.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
That's a tough one. I've been to many different places for the holidays, so I like different ethnic dishes. Tamales are usually popular at some of the homes I've been to, and I love them. Also empanadas, turkey and homemade stuffing.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:
Watching the Christmas specials on t.v., like "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" and "Norris the Long-Earred Donkey" (I think that's his name) and thinking about the star of Bethlehem before going to bed and dreaming about Santa and all the gifts he'd bring. I wanted to fly on the sleigh, too.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I have no idea what you could be asking....

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
Almost always

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
I believe it should be more fun than work. I kinda throw everything together, especial the tinsel, and admire my handiwork.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
Love it for Christmas, hate it the rest of the year. And it has to be the fluffy stuff.

12. Can you ice skate?
Ha! Being born in northern MN, you would think so, wouldn't you???? But I'm the biggest klutz

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
I don't know why, but it was a Snoopy doll dressed in a cap and nightgown. Dragged that thing around with me for years LOL.

14. What's the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
Spending time with family & friends, and volunteering to help with any kind of program to help the kids. This year I'm helping decorate for the Fantasy flight, where terminally ill children will be flown from Chicago to Wisconsin than back again, where a gate at O'Hare will be transformed into the North Pole. It's a very beautiful yet poignant experience.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
Rum balls! My friend Diana always puts extra rum, so seriously, there's no driving!

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Sleeping in *g*

17. What tops your tree?
Varies, sometimes it’s a star, sometimes it’s an angel, sometimes it’s a bow.

18. Which do you prefer giving or Receiving?
I'll be honest - a little of both

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
"What Child Is This?" Reminds me of "Greensleeves", which I love.

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?
I like Candy Canes, especially the spearmint ones.

10 Comments

  1. These are fun! I loved your answer about the Fantasy flight. That's such a cool idea and I bet the looks on those kiddos faces are just priceless. What a wonderful thing to do, Stacy.

    So, how far north in Minnesota were you born? I have family from Silver Bay / Duluth area.


  2. What fun!! Great answers. I think I'm going to have to steal this for a post-Thanksgiving blog. lol

    I LOVE rum balls! When I had my first real job one of the ladies brought some in at Christmas and I was downing them like candy. I finally went to her and said, "Rose, I know this is silly because alcohol bakes out, but I feel like I'm getting drunk." She died laughing and finally told me, "You ARE getting drunk! You don't bake rumballs!" LOL!!

    Hm... I'm gonna have to make me some rum balls!

    Jen


  3. Rum balls ~ probably a little dangerous for me. I'm not a big drinker so any tiny bit of alcohol does me in. Which is why the friends and family like to get me drunk. I become complete uninhibited and talk about all sorts of inappropriate things.


  4. Rum cake!!!! That's my fave dessert for Xmas. I put lots of rum as well. LOL.

    Oh and Happy turkey day!!!! ^_^


  5. Ooooo Mailyn! I LOVE rum cake!

    DH and I went to Grand Cayman a few years ago and we brought back a bunch of rum cakes for friends. I seriously wanted to keep them all for me, but he made me give most of them up. I ended up eating the entire cake we kept by myself. lol

    I think I just need some rum. :o)

    Jen


  6. I can't have the rum balls if they have real rum in them (sounds like those do). Rum makes me do very unladylike things, like puke. :(

    I love this idea. I agree with jenster - I think it must wait until after Thanksgiving for me. And I'll give it my own little twist since I never celebrated Christmas as a child, only Hanukkah. SPOILER....... (I always knew there was no Santa.) *g*


  7. Lori ~ Puking's nothing :-) Try divulging very personal, intimate information about yourself to your best friend's husband and his cousin whom you've only met once before. Then waking up the next day thinking it was all a horrible dream until you call said best friend who then proceeds to tell you every thing you said and did the night before. Said best friend also told her mother ~who told all of her friends ~ who now share my humiliating experience during most get togethers because it's so funny when it doesn't happen to you.


  8. I enjoyed your answers Stacy. I think it was a great idea.

    Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving.


  9. Thanx Devonna. It is fun, but of course sad. Those little ones are the real angels.

    My family is from the Iron Range area. My parents live in Eveleth, where the Hockey Hall of Fame is. Charlize Theron was there for that movie about sexual discrimination in the mines - "North Country" I think it was called. I haven't seen it yet though. Sorry about the drinking thing. Haven't quite been to that level, but I'm not a big drinker either.

    Jen, it's always nice to have people steal from my blog *g*. As Anne Shirley would say, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

    Oh, Lori, you brat! No Santa??? LOL. Hanukkah gets you a present for 12 days, doesn't it? I'm so bad about that stuff. But I love learning about how other people celebrate and what their traditions are.

    Yep Mailyn, bring on the rum...and some Johnny Depp LOL.

    Thanx Cryna :)


  10. Nope, only 8 days of Hanukkah, Stacy. It's the 12 days of Christmas. And, hey, I put a spoiler in for the bit about Santa *g*.

    Devonna, don't know what to say... ummm, stay away from rum?

    Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving!


Post a Comment