Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Thursday, September 23, 2010:
What I'm watching: Spartacus: Blood & Sand
Betrayed by the Romans. Forced into slavery. Reborn as a Gladiator.

The classic tale of the Republic’s most infamous rebel comes alive in the graphic and visceral new series, Spartacus: Blood and Sand.

Torn from his homeland and the woman he loves, Spartacus is condemned to the brutal world of the arena where blood and death are primetime entertainment. But not all battles are fought upon the sands. Treachery, corruption, and the allure of sensual pleasures will constantly test Spartacus. To survive, he must become more than a man. More than a gladiator. He must become a legend.

I'm not ashamed to admit that I rented this show mainly for some dirty, nekkid hot men and the wickedness that should ensue from said naughty imagery. And Andy Whitfield does not disappoint in the title role of Spartacus. He is incredibly rugged and gorgeous, with a sexay bod and smoldering blue eyes. I'd follow him anywhere (sending a little prayer that he fights his cancer and goes into remission once and for all).

But...that's about the only good thing I've discovered so far. Granted, I've only seen 4 episodes, but I've found myself tweeting or reading or yawning and ignoring what's going on because I'm bored. I have no problem with the violence, but it's so repetitive. And there have been some nekkid sex scenes - even a m/m one which should have worked for me but nope, nothing - and they're not very sexy. There's no HEAT. The characters are mannequins. And no, I don't want to see John Hannah and Lucy Lawless going at it either. The only thing keeping me going is Andy, and totally for superficial reasons. I still have 3 more discs to go, and thankfully as the main character, I expect to see a lot more of him.


Has anyone else seen season 1 of Spartacus?

Does it get better?

Labels:

9 Comments

  1. Hey Stacy,

    And I'm not ashamed to say that I subscribed to Starz just so I could watch some dirty, nekkid hot men and the wickedness taht ensued from said naughty imagery! LOL :P

    Me and my husband watched this first season every week. And we both really enjoyed it! It doesn't seem to be working so well for you though.

    My husband just told me last night that the second season won't have the original Spartacus. He said he's undergoing chemotherapy and was unable to do the next season :(.


  2. Hahaha - My hubs and son and brother all really enjoyed this show. I sat in the living room and read a book and looked up periodically at the TV to catch the eye candy :)


  3. I haven't seen it - I didn't even know about it to be honest.


  4. I have Starz, but have never seen the show. I've heard lots of good things about it. I did hear the other day the actor who played Spartacus won't be back for the second season due to his cancer returning.


  5. I haven't seen this one...I think I'll skip it.


  6. This is exactly why I didn't rent it yet. Thank you for saving me the time. I wanted to see it so badly because of the hot nekkid people and the time period and subject matter -- but I just kept hearing that it was boring and it lacked in spark.


  7. I've GOT to say...I love your widget all about Nathan Kamp! He's hella sexy


  8. Haven't seen it...but darn. Looks like it has a good premise.


  9. I've never even heard of this series. Was it on the telly? I'm not ashamed to say I'm not above some dirty, nekkid hot men either. In fact it sounds delightful right about now. Too bad that's really not what you're getting though.

    That is too bad about the star, Andy Whitfield. I hope he goes back into remission again.


Post a Comment