It's part family show, part mystery. The show focuses around the Walker family, as well as the financial struggles their family business, Ojai Foods, is going through. The family is trying to figure out why the company is in trouble, and it's lead them in some pretty painful directions.
What I like: (there may be spoilers)
- the tight bond of the Walker family. No matter what's going on, they are always there for each other, through losing William, to Paige's diabetes, through Tommy's inability to have children, they support each other and drop everything to be there for their family.
- Kevin & Scotty. I understand from Kati that Kevin can be a real bitch, and I'm waiting for that, but for now, I'm enjoying the sweet relationship he's developing with Scotty. It's rather romantic, watching these two, and yes, they even kiss.
- The sparring between Kitty & Warren. Not a huge Calista Flockhart fan, but I do like watching her argue with Josh Hopkins. I know he's not sticking around (i.e. Rob Lowe comes on the scene) but for now it's fun. Much more interesting than watching her and Johnathan together, though the phone sex scene was pretty funny.
- Justin's difficult adjustment to life after being at war. It's hard to watch at times, especially when they showed the 9/11 coverage, but it's also something I know a lot of soldiers are continuing to deal with everyday. I think it was a smart move to show Justin trying to deal with being home, holding down a job, having nightmares and turning to drugs and alcohol to make him forget. It's heartbreaking, but very important. I can't wait to see what happens with him over the next few seasons.
- The cast of women. Wow, how refreshing to see women with curves, and wrinkles, who don't always look perfect, but who can attract some hot men. I love that they are not all blonde, skinny, 22-year-old's flitting around in skintight outfits.
What I don't like:
- Nora Walker so far gets on my nerves. I guess that's a testament to Sally Fields' acting becuase I do like her, just not her character.
- Tommy. Okay, I admit, this is more because Balthazar Getty cheated on his wife in real life with that skanky what's-her-name, so everytime I see him, that's what I'm imagining instead of paying attention to Tommy. His character is really not horrible, though the way he treats Justin at times is maddening.
Other than that, I have no other complaints, but then again so far I've only watched 8 episodes of the show so far. And I'm liking it. I know a little about what's ahead so I'm curious to know how we get there, and to find out what happens to Ojai Foods.
Do you watch B & S?
If so, favorite character?