Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Tuesday, January 05, 2010:
Reading intentions for 2010

I'm a lazy person, anyone who knows me has to realize that. I don't really do New Year's resolutions. Not so much because I'm against them on principle, I just can't stick to a set of ground rules I implemented at the beginning of the year.

However there are a few things I would like to stick with this year, mostly revolving around books. I must have over 200 books in my TBR pile, and it's getting quite out of hand. I'm anal, so I like to read my series in order, but I tend to read the first 1 or 2 books and then move on. Mostly to avoid burn-out, but also because I feel like I'm missing something. So here's what I intend to do for 2010 (and you know what they say about those intentions):


  • buy less books and finish the ones I already have (uh huh, sure) (Update: I bought 5(!) books yesterday!

  • finish a series before buying 2 (or 10) more books (hmmm)

  • feel less stressed out when others read books I want! (good luck with this one!)

  • Don't feel pressured to read 500 books when I only have time for 100. The whole idea of reading is to enjoy the experience, not rush through it.

Another thing I'm hoping to do this year is really let authors know how much I loved their books. I think I forget sometimes how much work and love went into these stories, and they would probably like to know that! So I think in some way I will be more appreciative of authors, and not just blog about their books but send them an email. I already do that with some authors, but not as much as I'd like. So this year I want to show more appreciation for the hours of entertainment I experience because of these books.

That's really all I've got. Nothing too elaborate. Also, I plan on attending Lori Foster's June get-together in Cincinnati (hope to see you there!) and also RWA in Nashville. Looking forward to both events and I hope to get a chance to meet more authors and readers, though I'll be the first one to tell you what a dork I am, so don't expect much LOL.

What are your 2010 reading intentions?


Attending any conferences this year?

Labels: ,

12 Comments

  1. I agree about letting authors know how much you loved their books...I don't do enough of that and this sounds like a good idea for 2010.

    Lori Foster's is in my neck of the woods...I am hoping to attend for the first time this year!!!


  2. I like this post! Not resolute, just intent. LOL!

    I agree with you about letting authors know when their books move you. I always find that authors are thrilled to hear from you when you enjoy their books.

    I'm sorry to be missing the fun of Lori Fosters and RWA this year, I'll miss seeing everyone, especially you. But I'll be back, bigger than ever in 2011! Have an awesome time and take lots and lots of pictures!


  3. Oh dear, reading more and buying less seems to be the motto of the year :grin:

    I email authors whenever I review their work--positive or negative, the first is a boost, the second with a word of caution (so they don't feel ambushed if a well-meaning friend or Google points them in the direction of my review).

    Here's to a year of reaching goals, Stacy!


  4. I so feel you on the stress when someone is raving about a book that I haven't read. I become slightly obsessed in my need to read it :) Yet, I rarely can because of my monstrous tbr pile. Oh well...

    I try to make it a point to email authors when I really enjoy their books...even though I still post a review. Because I really do appreciate all of their hard work..I really can't imagine writing a book!


  5. I like to read what I have before I get anything else. But, darn it, there are just so many good books out there!

    I email authors whenever I receive an ARC and write the review, or when I wrote a review of an absolutely fabulous review that I think they might want to see. Some reply, some don't.

    As for conferences, well... we're paying for another bar mitzvah this year (the last one, yay!), so I'm strapped. But I plan to attend next year for sure.


  6. Actually I have to agree with everything you said!! I really need to work through what I have (even though I'm going to the bookstore this morning and I will walk out with atleast 3 books on my list, more if I spend time browsing!)
    For me the hardest is not stressing when I read about the amazing books everyone else has that I don't!


  7. Stacy I love your list! I need to do all of those things :o) I have so many books in my TBR pile that I really need to jump into them. I’ve been reading a lot of new to me Authors and have been having a hard time picking up some of my favorite Authors. I still can’t believe that I haven’t read the latest Susan Brockmann, Lisa Kleypas, or Nora Roberts Black Hills! I wonder if it’s the hard back that’s throwing me off.

    I’m not going to any of the events this year either. But I plan to attend the Lori Foster event next year. This is going to be the year that I get my credit card in check :o) well we’ll see lol.


  8. I'm hoping to see lots of people in Nashville at RWA. I need to look into some other travel. Really need to watch my expenses this year, but would love to travel a bit too.

    Love your list! I really need to read all the books in my TBR pile before I buy any more books. However, I bought 6 over the weekend, so I really don't see that happening right away. I need to go back to emailing authors after I read their books. At one time I would send out emails after each book. Now I just post to my blog. Will try to do better this year.


  9. I like your intentions a lot! And aren't we all alike with our huge tbr piles and our need to buy more books. I so recognise the stress you were talking about when somenone is reading a book you want to have/read as well, lol!
    And letting authors know that you loved their work is a great idea. I'm going to do that too!!!


  10. Great list Stacy. And I'm so with you on reading a series. I'm really bad at being so behind in a series. That's why I'm (im)patiently waiting for Magic Strikes (Ilona Andrews) from the library. Once I read that, that will be one series I'll be up to date with. Just picked up the third Troublshooters book yesterday...I have a way to go with that series obviously :)


  11. Great list! I've also told myself I need to read more and buy less. Hmm...let's see how long that resolution lasts!


  12. Too funny about buying books already! Letting authors know sounds how much you enjoy their books sounds like an excellent idea.


Post a Comment