Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Tuesday, March 17, 2009:
concerts & books & blogs
Photobucket
I can't believe the weekend is already over. Hope you all enjoyed the mild weather that's been going on. On Saturday, Nickelback rocked the house! The concert started at 7pm with Saving Able kicking it off, and they were pretty good. Next up was Seether, and though lead singer Shaun Morgan wasn't much of a talker, I thought they were awesome. I just love his voice, and they even performed "Broken", and it was amazing. But my absolute new favorite song by Seether is "Fuck Me Like You Hate Me". I can't get it out of my head, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I'm not complaining yet.
But of course the icing on the cake was the over 2-hour performance by Nickelback. From the first seconds of "Something In Your Mouth" to the last blast of fireworks after the encore, the show was incredible. Chad Kroger is a performer through and through, loves to talk to the crowd and is a total guy with his juvenile sense of humor and extreme fondness for beer. One cool thing is having seen them 2 years ago, they didn't do the same routine - that would have been lame. Instead the guys put on a show that was worth the price of admission a few times over, even without the other bands. I'm already anxious to see them again, and they will be back in the Chicago area in August. Hmmm....
Photobucket
Read my first ever J.A. Konrath book over the weekend. I've been meaning to read "Whiskey Sour" for awhile, ever since I saw the author at a booksigning at a nearby bookstore and was curious to find out who he is. Plus he seems like he'd be really funny. His book wasn't so amusing, being about a gruesome serial killer and all, yet I was intrigued by the idea of him writing about a female protagonist. And there were many Chicago and surrounding area references, and that's always a treat. I definitely plan on picking up the next one, "Bloody Mary". Fun times.
Photobucket
I also finished Sara Reinke's "Dark Thirst", which told the story of virgin hero Brandon Noble, whom I was made aware of during RNTV's "Virgin Hero" week. I enjoyed the story very much, though Brandon didn't come across as much as a alpha hero, despite his violent heritage. Still I liked the story enough to want to continue with the 2nd book, "Dark Hunger". I liked that all of Brandon's problems weren't solved in the first book and appear to continue at least into the second story. It has me hooked.
I've been feeling a strong case of reviewer's block lately, and this is not good for someone who does reviews for another, and truly wonderful, website other than my own. But with the support of the lovely ladies who run that site, I feel much better about it. I was putting too much pressure on myself to crank out reviews, and it was becoming a bit tedious and stressful, so now I'm just going to take a breather and get back into just reading for a little while. The problem was I was beginning to repeat myself way too much in reviews, and each one sounded too similar. That's when I knew I was in trouble. It's all cyclical, sure to infect me again in the future, and that's when I know I need to step back and not try so hard. As Marisa said, reviewing should be fun. I was making it harder than it had to be. My complete bad.
So, hopefully you'll all stop by RNTV for this week's "Duke of Slut" celebration. Andrea kicked it off with "London's Perfect Scoundrel", and she did a fabulous job. I'm chomping at the bit to read this one, but it's book #2, so I know I'll have to read "The Rake" first, even though Andrea said it wasn't completely necessary. Stay tuned for more Dukes of Slut, found in books by Lisa Kleypas, JD Robb and Nora Roberts, to name a few. I myself will be talking about my very own DoS: the one and only Sam Starrett, from Suzanne Brockmann's Troubleshooter series. Look for my take on this bad boy on Wednesday afternoon. I know I won't do him justice, but I sure the heck had fun trying ;)
What's been keeping you busy these days?

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments

  1. YAY! Glad to hear you had fun at the concert! And virgin heros, huh? I gotta look into that. I haven't read many of those.


  2. Jealous you went to see Nickelback! Sounds like you had a blast!

    I can relate on the reviewer's block, LOL!

    What's been keeping me busy these days? Work, work, and more work. What else is new? Duke of SLut sounds fun! London's Perfect Scoundrel is awesome, BTW. The 3rd is one of my alltime favorite re-reads.


  3. Gee, thanks a lot, Stacy! Yet another song I can't listen to when the kids are around. At least this one won't be on the radio when they're in the car, like "My Life Would Suck Without You" or "Gives You Hell".

    (Hey, they're young. They still think "stupid" is the "s-word".)

    Great song, BTW! :)


  4. Am rapt to hear that you had fun at the concert. Last concert I went to was...U2! It was mind-blowing!

    Am looking forward to your Sam Starrett discussion. I've only read two of the Troubleshooters books, but he made quite the impression in The Defiant Hero :)


  5. If you have time to post your thoughts after reading Dark Hunger...I would like to know what you think. I liked Dark Thirst quite a bit...the ending of Dark Hunger left me a bit upset...doesn't even have to be a review...just a quick jotting down of your thoughts would be great! :)


  6. Barbara, I never thought I'd care for the virgin hero, but RNTV's week-long post on them changed my mind. There are some real hotties out there ;)

    Lori, I just can't get enough of NB. I'd go back to see them in a heartbeat.

    Kate, I am such a bad influence, ain't I? *g* I just freakin' love that song.

    Orannia, I would LOVE to see U2! They are one of THE bands of our generation, and one I hope to see someday.

    Kristin, I will have to do that. I don't know when I'll read it, since I have a gazillion other books ahead, but hopefully no later than a few months.


  7. Enjoyed your review of Nickelback and glad you had a good time,Stacy.

    I saw Seether at an Audioslave concert and thought they were great.


Post a Comment