Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Tuesday, September 30, 2008:
What do you do to forget?
Photobucket
Awww. Aren't these guys just precious? Almost nothing sweeter in the world than the face of a puppy, unless it's two puppies *g* I needed something cute and sweet to focus on after the last week or so of watching the news. Everytime you turn around there's something else to get upset about, whether it's the awful economy, the faulty banking industry, people losing jobs, the price of gas - you name it, there's so much bad stuff going on right now.
I work for a credit union, and there's nothing more frustrating than having to stand aside and keep quiet, even when you know you can help people, because they just don't believe what you have to say. People can't trust anyone these days, and no matter what you tell them, no matter how true it is, people panic, or do what they're gonna do and damn the consequences. You can't completely blame them; these are such uncertain and shaky times and people's confidence has been tested beyond their endurance. Sometimes you just have to ride out the storm and pray it ends soon. For everyone's sake.
So these days I actually dread going into work. I don't hate it, but I don't feel enthusiastic about getting up and facing another day. I'm constantly grateful I have a place to go to, and that I don't have to worry about losing my job, so I try to stay upbeat. It's not always easy. Especially when you see your friends who work in other industries losing their jobs, or unable to pay their bills. It's hard to stay positive.
Of course you can't focus on the bad stuff all the time, otherwise you'll just go crazy. Fall is here, with all its beauty, and although it's not my favorite time of year because it's getting colder and winter is not far away, I can't help but be dazzled by the gorgeously vibrant colors. And the scent of cinnamon and apples, pumpkin spice, bonfires and toasted marshmellows, these are all cozy, happy smells that make me smile.
And with fall comes the fall t.v. season. Though I don't watch t.v., I can't help but get caught up in the enthusiasm over a new show, or the return of an old favorite. I remember that feeling very well. And only feel a twinge of regret that I'm not as addicted as I once was to the tube. I was obsessed.
Of course there is always the fall books to look forward to, and this year is no exception. I've been lucky enough to read some of my most coveted 2008 stories from Lisa Kleypas and Julia Quinn, and can't wait to get my hands on the holiday books that usually come out in October.
Sports! The baseball season is not over yet, and teams are duking it out as they fight to get into the World Series. Football is just starting, which is definitely a fall sport. I'm more of a hockey fan myself, but as long as the action is exciting, I can get into a good game of almost any kind.
What do you fall back on to forget the troubles of the world?
What are some of your favorite things about fall?

Labels:

9 Comments

  1. I fall back on some of my favorite rereads - "comfort reads." Or try to get my hands on one of the new releases at the library.

    The thing I like most about the fall - is school starting - the kids are out of the house for a little while during the day, and I get to read in peace and quiet. Then about the time I start to miss them - they come running into the house and talk to me about their day.

    One thing I don't like about Fall is that Winter is close on its heels. LOL


  2. To forget I read or watch movies. It's a great form of escapism.

    I love fall. It and spring are my favorite seasons. I look forward to fall foods (pomegranates, yeah!!!!!), the colors, and my tradition of Chilly Chili ~ I slow cook a big pot on the stove on the first cool, crisp day of autumn and serve it with fry bread and all the fixings. Yummy!!!


  3. My husband and I are ones who have been affected by our economy. He lost his job last week due to his plant closing (auto industry). But we planned for this eventuality and he is in school and we're on a good road. With his severance package all should be well until he finishes school. I imagine there are some out there that didn't plan so well. You never think your job is actually going to go away.

    Cute little puppies are a nice distraction and so is a good book...or two...or three!


  4. I definitely fall back on books to get me out of reality. Sometimes I'll kick back with the kids and watch a movie ~ Shrek, Harry Potter, Pirates of the Carribean.

    My favorite things about fall are the cooler weather (I'm in Phoenix, AZ), getting ready for the holidays and did I mention the cooler weather? lol


  5. I Love Fall!! I love the turning of the leaves and how the air gets a little nippy and you can put on a comfy sweater to snuggle up in. And to escape and boost my mood I love to read an old favorite or watch an old favorite movie.


  6. Books, books and more books. I can escape into different lives and worlds and not have to worry about what's going on in the real world.

    I love Fall but the seasons don't change much here in So Cal. :(


  7. Books is one thing I escape into, but I also like to lay out a jigsaw puzzle - it also takes my mind off of things and is a form of relaxation for me.

    Loved the picture of the puppies. They are so cute.


  8. Reading is the best distraction. And the best thing about fall? The trees and just off the tree apples!


  9. I fall back on rereads just like Kara. I read some of my favorite books (mostly the SB Troubleshooter books) and that usually does the trick.

    I can't wait for the NBA season starts again, I miss my Lakers! I'm enjoying the college football season though, GO TROJANS!


Post a Comment