Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Friday, May 28, 2010:
Vitamins: genuine or legend?


I'm not big on taking pills or supplements of any kind. First off, I have this weird gag reflex when it comes to taking them. I could swallow a piece of chocolate or inhale a cheeseburger, but when it comes to a tiny pill, I'm grossed out. I think it's because a lot of them taste so horrible.

Right now, since it's summer, I tend to eat healthier. A lot more fruits & veggies. I tend to drink more water. I put less cream & sugar in my coffee. Some exercise. I also started taking a multivitamin and one for Iron because I am borderline anemic. That's about all I can tolerate. Oh, and the multivitamin is for adults, but it's chewable, orange-flavored, so I actually like taking that one. And the Iron pill is tiny, thank God.

But one of my bosses was telling me yesterday she takes some vitamins and some supplements that I've not heard of. One is biotin, for hair and nails. The other is aloe vera juice, which is supposed to be very healing. All these healthy supplements have me scratching my head. All I know is that she is a gorgeous 47-year-old African American woman and I wish I looked half as good as she does. [Note: the reason I mention her race is because she told me a story where she recently had to cut her hair, and I never knew about it before yesterday. I always picture her as this extremely well-put together woman with a hairstyle that suited her pretty face - she looks fabulous with super short hair. But her story was a bit of an emotional one and it really made me appreciate what it took for her to get where she is today].


I'm curious to know:


Do you take any of these or other vitamins/supplements?

What are the benefits of them, and have you noticed results?

Labels:

5 Comments

  1. "I could swallow a piece of chocolate or inhale a cheeseburger, but when it comes to a tiny pill, I'm grossed out." This made me spit my water Stacy. It's sooo true. :)

    I don't take a lot of supplements. I was told my a nutritionist to focus on getting the things I need in my food, it will leave less room for junk. Not as much fun but true. I wish my kids would eat more veggies.


  2. I have severe pain in my feet. No medical reason for it.....feels like arthritus (sp). I take a combination of suppliments that someone reccomended for relief.

    Flax Seed Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Calcium, Magnesium and Zinc, a multi vitamin with iron.

    Have tested it twice by stopping taking the meds. Both times the pain returns in three days. So not sure what it does but it definatly does something beneficial.

    I also take garlic for my heart and cranberry pills to fight bladder/kidney infections (better than drinking the juice every day). These both work too.

    So I believe suppliments can work...also believe for whatever reason they don't work for everyone.


  3. I have taken a multivitamin and calcium for years.
    I am very seldom sick. I had a bone density test a couple of months ago and my bones are the density of someone in their early 40's-----I am 67 years old.


  4. I take a multivitamin every day. I've taken cinnamon to help regulate my blood sugar in the past and niacin and fish oil to help with my cholesterol. I have to take several prescription meds a day, so I don't really like to take much of anything else if I can keep from it.


  5. I have been trying to take vitamins lately, because this old guy I worked with at my last job told me that he's never been very sick and he gives all the credit to vitamins. He was really spry for a 79-y-o. They do seem to help, but I have trouble remembering to take them. :P


Post a Comment