Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Thursday, November 27, 2008:
Buy a Book, Save the World...

I saw this a few weeks ago at Alison Kent's blog, and decided to play along. What better week than this one, when holiday shopping is on most everyone's mind. I've done my part (okay, more than my part *g*) and all you have to do is tell me which book (under $10 please) you have at the top of your wish list this year.

Contest ends Saturday, November 29th @ noon CST.

In the meantime, do your part. Buy books.

Happy Thanksgiving!

*****

Photobucket


For anyone who cares about the book publishing industry and wants to do their part, there’s one simple action step:

Buy a book this weekend.

Just buy one.

Buy your sister a book instead of a sweater for her birthday; buy your friend who can’t even make toast or boil water a beginner’s cookbook; buy your company’s receptionist a novel you liked because most people probably ignore him/her (it’s always a her, though, isn’t it?) and you’ll make his/her day.

Buy your holiday gifts now. Instead of a CD for your brother, buy him a book on his favorite recording artist.

Instead of going to the library this one week buy the book you were going to read–it might only be a difference of a couple of bucks in the end. One day this week, make a peanut butter sandwich, skip going out for lunch, and buy a paperback.

(…)

It doesn’t matter what. It doesn’t have to be a literary fiction hardcover. If could be a $5.99 mass market nutrition guide, a $4.99 young reader chapter book, a Harlequin romance. Your money will still prevent returns of other books (…) Even if it’s not by your favorite author or your favorite publishing house, your favorites will be indirectly affected.

It doesn’t matter where. Sure, buying at the chains will help against the returns, but you can help out the publisher with your purchase no matter how you get it, even on the internet.

Labels:

13 Comments

  1. This is a fun idea for a contest! I read Alison Kent's post also. I did buy books over this last week for Christmas gifts. And I'm sure there will be a few more to buy before then. Is this your own contest? Are you picking someone from the posts like Alison Kent did?

    Happy Thanksgiving!


  2. One more thing :)...

    You had posted a blog a few months ago and said you bought the first Kim Harrison book, Dead Witch Walking. I have the second and fourth, I believe they are. The Good, The Bad, and The Undead and A Fistful of Charms. I don't know if you've bought them, but if you want mine I can send them to you, if you like. They're brand new, unread! I mentioned it in that post, and just thought I'd mention it again :).


  3. I'll be buying The Pagan Stone by Nora Roberts tomorrow. Does that count?


  4. The book on my wish list is Mistress of pleasure by Deliah Marvelle

    Happy Thanksgiving


  5. Thanks for this unique and great contest. I always look for books that I overlook and I look forward to reading a book by Helen Forrester. I enjoy her writing and haven't read a book of hers in ages.


  6. What a great idea for a contest. On my wish list is Kathryn Caskie's To Sin With a Stranger.


  7. I just purchased The Pagan Stone by NR last night and that's not including several other books I purchased last week...as for a book on my wish list, I am looking forward to Practice Makes Perfect by Julie James but it's not due out til 2/09!


  8. I bought The Pagan Stone, Unravel Me, and Broken Wing this week :o)


  9. forbidden fruit by eden bradley

    kh


  10. Cindy Gerard's "Take No Prisoners" and Nora Roberts' "The Pagan Stone" are on my wish list.


  11. Oh, I have such a long list, but Three in Death by J.D. Robb is on top of that list.


  12. Thanx Amy about the books. I still have yet to read the first book, and about 100 (500) more. But I really appreciate you offering - very sweet of you :)


  13. So I take it you don't want them! Darn, I don't know what to do with them. Hold on to them I guess. Maybe you'll want them after you read the first book! :)


Post a Comment