Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Friday, May 02, 2008:
From the keeper shelf...
Photobucket

Mass Market Paperback: 288 pages
Publisher: Bantam (October 28, 2008)
ISBN-10: 0553592009
ISBN-13: 978-0553592009

Kissed by a phantom at midnight, she had no choice but to surrender...

When Dr. Marshall Devlin spotted Leila Hunt alone on the dance floor, he yearned to charm the violet-eyed Cinderella into his arms, but how could he court the lady when they fought over everything, and always had? Then the clock struck twelve, and Leila was possessed by the passion of a familiar stranger. He’d captured her lips -- and her soul -- in a moment of magic, but could she learn to love the man behind the mask?

In a debut that celebrates the delights and disasters of falling in love with the boy next door, Suzanne Brockmann wins every heart! He’d teased and tormented her since childhood, hidden his white-hot desire for the woman she’d become, but once a fleeting embrace threatened to reveal his secret, could he make her his forever?

In blogland, people like KristieJ and Katie(babs), Sula and Kati are discussing their DIKs (desert island keepers), and though I haven't completed my list, this one would definitely have to be on it. I know I've blogged about it before, but since it's being re-released in October with a gorgeous new cover, I felt like talking about it again, since it's one of my all-time favorites.

Photobucket

I discovered Suzanne Brockmann over 10 years ago (May 1996), and this was the book that started it all. It might not seem like much when compared to her Team 16 hardcovers, but back then, this book totally did it for me. I am a huge sucker for those love/hate relationships, where underneath it all the hero and heroine are seething with unresolved lust for each other. I didn't care much for a British accent until Suz created a hero with a secret earthy passion for his best friend's sister, and then whoa, it was just the hottest thing going on. I wanted Marshall Devlin, and badly.

The thing about Suz is that she creates these incredibly emotional stories, and I felt that right away when I read this book. No other contemporary author, with the possible exception of LaVyrle Spencer, could control me and my feelings so strongly. My heart would pound, or melt, or ache, and my body would go hot all over with the vivid imagery of Marshall's unrequited feelings. Suz got more of a physical and emotional response out of me than any erotic romance I've ever read. When I pick up one of her books, I am right there, in the story, living her words.

I've been a die-hard fan ever since, even if I've not loved every single book. Suz can still wring out more feeling out of me with a mediocre book than many other authors could with a great book, and that is why I will still buy anything she writes, even in hardcover. And because of that, I definitely plan on buying a copy of "Kiss and Tell" when it is released in October, no matter what. This book can still get to me after all these years, and as long as that happens, it will forever remain on my keeper shelf.

What was your first book by a favorite author, and how does it rank
compared to their other work?

Labels: ,

6 Comments

  1. We need Brockman on our desert island :)
    My first book by Lisa Kleypas was, Then Came You and since there I have been a die hard fan. I think Lisa's books have matured where we have much more insight about the hero and heroine rather than them meeting and then jumping straight into bed with each other. After reading Blue Eyed Devil, this woman can do no wrong in my eyes.


  2. My first Nora Roberts was Irish Thoroughbred. Not one of her best efforts, but I still have tremendous affection for it, because not only was it my first Nora, but it was my first grown up romance.


  3. My first Nora was Dance Apon the Air and I have been hooked on reading and romace ever since :o)


  4. I've never read Brockan. I need to do that.


  5. This is one of the VERY few I haven't read LOL. And you know I'm a HUGE SB fan :) I love her. Must pick it up now...


  6. Whoa! A Brockmann I've never even heard of. This is...weird. I am a crazy Brockmann fan-girl. Come check out my blog. I am celebrating Brockmann and her boys today. Today is the last day to vote for round one of the Boys of Brockmann Battle Royale.

    Also? Hello, fellow Chi-towner!


Post a Comment