Stacy's Place on Earth
Blog Home Change to Small Font Change to Large Font
Thursday, May 18, 2006:
So....what CAN you live without?
You know, I hear a lot about what people CAN'T live without, but what about those things we don't need, or care if we have or not? Isn't there something everybody else has that you manage to survive without having, owning, possessing?

For me, it's actually several things. I don't watch t.v. I have one, but it's not even hooked up. I've lived that way about 2 1/2 years. And it was not easy, because I was a huge t.v. watcher. I think some days I would go straight home from work just to catch up on the shows I'd taped for the day or week. It was soaps, sitcoms, dramas, movies, documentaries, everything. It was pretty sad, actually. T.V. watching had become my social life. Now, I don't go home right after work - I go out, have dinner, catch up with friends, hit the bookstores, read more, and take time to think. I have a life whereas before, I was watching other people have lives LOL. Huge difference. But I was never into a lot of the shows that were popular a few years ago like Survivor or Great Race (or whatever), so I don't feel like I'm missing out with American Idol or any of those other reality-based (yawn-fests) shows. And really, no disrespect to those who love 'em, just not my thing.

I don't have an iPod. Now this is more of a sore subject because I LOVE music. Can't live without it. I have music on my blog (yeah, I love Michael Buble but it's time to change the song. I'm deciding what next) I probably will get one soon, but I haven't decided. I'm one of those weird people that actually listens to the radio instead of CDs when I'm in the car because I'm a huge channel changer (must have been a man in a previous life *g*). I flip between country to alternative to rock to morning talk shows - and it's only a ten-minute drive. And it drives me crazy when the music is not working in the tanning booth - lately it seems like it's been unavailable a lot, and 20 minutes under those hot bulbs makes me antsy if I don't have anything to listen to while I bake. 'nother reason to work on getting that iPod...

I don't have an ebook reader, which explains my reluctance to buy too many ebooks. I read them on my laptop, which isn't the easiest way to get caught up in a story, but for right now, it's all I've got. Lucy Monroe raved about the ebook reader she just got, and I've heard other people praise them to the heavens, but all I have to do is glance at my tbr mountain range and think there's no freakin' way I should be thinking of an alternative way to get more books. But any reader knows, you can never have too many books.

I have a digital camera but I hardly ever use it. I'm a terrible picture-taker anyway. No excuses, but if you've seen the pictures at Michelle's blog, just know I never end up with such radiant, breath-taking visions on my camera. Plus, I usually forget to change the batteries, so I lose my chance at some fabulous photo ops, and I am the queen of disorganization and procrastination, which explains why I don't have many of these wonders of technology - they're wasted on me.

So, there it is, my list of "things I do without".  What's on your list, and why? Any plans to change all that?

3 Comments

  1. Well, I am also one without an iPod, but not because I don't love music. I do! But I can never afford it when I make a decision and as soon as I have money, I can't decide which iPod to get LOL! So I don't have an iPod either.

    I used to hop radio stations as well, but now I almost always listen to CDs. My answer to wanting to switch? I burn my own mix CDs! That way I have whatever suits my mood:)

    Thanks so much for your kind words about my photos. I definitely couldn't live without my cameras (yes, plural LOL). But as for the battery issue...I have had that problem too!

    When I was in Hawaii (and still using my film camera), I planned to drive around the island taking photos. I usually carry a spare battery, but I'd gotten a new camera bag before the trip and forgot to transfer the extra battery. I drove about 20 minutes away from the hotel and found the perfect spot to take some photos when my battery died. I was so mad! I actually had to drive back in to Honolulu (past my hotel) to Walmart of all places to get a battery. You can bet I'm never without a spare battery now!

    As for what I can live without, that's a tough one. Obviously, I wouldn't die without the things I have, but I am pretty attached to most of them.

    I'm not all that into fashion, so I can live without the designer label stuff. Heck, I'd be happy if I never had to wear heels or even socks again. I'm not sure that's what you had in mind though...I'll think some more on it!


  2. I live without an iPod as well. I enjoy music but an iPod isnt that important to me.
    I'm with you on the designer labels thing Michelle. I'm a wal-mart shopper and that suits me just fine. If I had an extra couple hundred dollars I could never imagine spending on a purse or something like some people enjoy. Which is fine, to each his own.
    Great topic Stacy. For some reason my mind is blank on anything else. I'll come back if I think of more.


  3. I can do without Jimmy Choos.
    I can do without the largest biggest baddest flatest TV on the market.
    I can do without cable TV. Can't totally let go of the tube tho.

    I can do without the ipod too - easy to say when you don't have one. I used to say that about a microwave. Now I can't say that.

    I can live without Sweatin' to the Oldies.

    I can live without a pool.

    My favorite thing to live without?
    *ahem*
    Truth or Dare time:
    A Bra.

    Oooh, another CLW/O?
    Word Verification, LOL


Post a Comment